First Blu-ray Disc Reviews Posted Online

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Blu-ray Disc Reviews Posted Online

Saw this stuff being discussed in the PS3 thread. I don't care much, and I haven't read the link below, but I thought others might find interest in it.

With the first Blu-ray player and discs officially making their market debuts tomorrow, High-Def DVD Digest has posted the first reviews of three of the first Blu-ray discs -- The Fifth Element, 50 First Dates, and xXx. So what's the verdict? So far, in terms of video quality, the results seem to be mixed...
    http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardwar.../1733226.shtml

( Forgive me if this is old news. I searched 'blu-ray' and found nothing. )
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: First Blu-ray Disc Reviews Posted Online

I'm not overly surprised with their findings. I don't think we'll see either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray living up to their true performance potential until the studios start making digital masters geared towards these new formats. The new formats alone can't produce stunning quality if the studios aren't doing their part as well.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

There will either be a completely new technology within a year or two, or at the least there will be players that support all disk, so you can get whatever you want...so IMO, It's worth waiting and seeing, and I'm a "diehard" home theater/entertainment fan, I follow this stuff religiously. lol
      Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

I have THIS DVD player and couldn't be happier. It's not cheap, but it's a lot cheaper than an HD or blu-ray player. This on my Panasonic plasma is an excellent combo.

Comment

Originally posted by High-Def DVD Digest
          And yes, there have been some issues with it on a couple of recent HD DVD releases, namely complaints about Warner's 'The Fugitive,' which was a 1080i upconvert to 1080p (thus producing some noticeable jaggies in a few shots). However, even on 'The Fugitive,' it didn't really jump out at me (I'll admit I didn't even notice it on my first viewing). But on 'xXx,' I noticed it right away after plopping in the disc -- even the film's opening logo and credits suffer from it. Then later on, frequently during the film I could see edginess on sharply contrasted objects, such as cars, architecture and metallic objects.
          Interesting...
          A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx
            Interesting...
            It is. I don't know why they wouldn't just produce native 1080P rather than trying to upconvert everything. As the old saying goes, you can't get blood from a stone, and you can't magically make a 1080I image convert to a 1080P image without some conversion issues and artifacts.
            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
              It is. I don't know why they wouldn't just produce native 1080P rather than trying to upconvert everything. As the old saying goes, you can't get blood from a stone, and you can't magically make a 1080I image convert to a 1080P image without some conversion issues and artifacts.
              For people with 720p plasma's, this is useless anyway. I set my DVD player to 720p since that's all my TV can handle.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X