Building my second computer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building my second computer

Hey all. Summers here, so I hope you're all keeping cool!

Anyways, some of you know that my computer has been randomly shutting down which is descibed a bit more here. I've replaced the PSU, and it runs for longer amounts of time, but still randomly shuts down. So, I've decided it's time to upgrade.

Here's what I've thrown together.

ASUS P5LD2 Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 945P ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Unbuffered Dual Channel
    Intel Pentium D 805 Smithfield 533MHz FSB
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3300822AS 300GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
    SAMSUNG 16X DVD�R DVD Burner With 5X DVD-RAM Write and LightScribe Black
    COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum
    Sunbeam NUUO SUNNU550-US-BK ATX12V/ EPS12V 550W Power Supply
    BIOSTAR V6602GS21 Geforce 6600GT 256MB GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card

All this runs me just under $1,000 USD.

Now, what i realy would like input on is two things. First, I'd like to know if my Current SATA 1.5Gb/s hard drives will connect / work with this mobo. I'm not sure if they are backwards compatable. If they are not, then I'd have to get a SATA expansion card.

Second, I'm not realy sure on the video card. It's been quite some time since I've purchased one, so Im not up to date at all on these. I dont want to go over $200, but I will still take any suggestions.
    birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Re: Building my second computer

I have the same case. While it looks good and cools well it is at times too loud (when it starts resonating for some reason). The entire front of the case takes in air through a filter which needs regular cleaning which is not easy or convenient.

Comment

Hi.. :)

Im not sure what youre problems are with youre old SATA disk. Because Im running different SATA disks, and it works fine. As long as the motherboard can hadle SATA, there should be no issues with that (if thats what you think of?)

If youre having trouble with case, then I will recomend Arctic Cooling Silentium T1 Miditower! Its has a low watt on the powersupply. But this case is ment to be lower because of its special fans. I also use NorthQ 3312BLA Giant UFO, 120mm fan!!! Is 2 pounds of copper!! :D But runs silent, and cools the CPU more then enough..

When it comes to that videocard Im not that sure....
      I have a friend who has a P4 2.8 with 1 Gig RAM and GeForce 6600GT 256 RAM. We tried play BF2 yesterday, but it lags so much he cant play the game.. The strange thing is that we tried to start Doom 3 on his computer as well. and it worked ok with medium setting on 1024x768. So maybe if youre going to play BF2, you should get another card? (It might be his computer that has issues) But it should work.
      Im not sure of the prices in the States, but here in Norway the best price for a meduim to highend graphic card is GeForce 7900GT I belive... Look it up and check the price! I have that one myself, and run almost every game at highest settings!

Have fun! :)
      -loppa

__________________________________________________ _______________________________
      I feel like an outsider. I am on a different wavelength then everybody else -- programmed too kill.
      -Son of Sam
      "In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist." -General/President Eisenhover

Comment

The 6600GT is rather dated at this point and would probably hinder the rest of the system. 7600GT's come in under $200 and would probably be a better choice. The 7900GT is up in the $260 - $300 range.
        Battlefield Admin() ()
        [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
        [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
        | for | |

Comment

Originally posted by perry
          The 6600GT is rather dated at this point and would probably hinder the rest of the system. 7600GT's come in under $200 and would probably be a better choice. The 7900GT is up in the $260 - $300 range.
          I second that. 6600GT is too old, I would go 7900GT.

"Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3300822AS 300GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive"

Why not run 2x160 @ RAID-0?

If you wanna keep the price down, go with a smaller HD (I got my 80GB OEM SATA 3.0Gb/s for only $50 at newegg) and put more money on you video card.
          Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

Originally posted by RocketPunch
            I second that. 6600GT is too old, I would go 7900GT.

If you wanna keep the price down, go with a smaller HD (I got my 80GB OEM SATA 3.0Gb/s for only $50 at newegg) and put more money on you video card.
            I must agree here... Better to put cash in graphic card if you dont need much diskspace. But would not recomend going to old ATA to save cash.. A lot of config to get both SATA and ATA-100 to work toghether.

Good luck!
            -loppa

__________________________________________________ _______________________________
            I feel like an outsider. I am on a different wavelength then everybody else -- programmed too kill.
            -Son of Sam
            "In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist." -General/President Eisenhover

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X