Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Medusa 5.1 Surround Sound ProGamer Edition Headset (with mic)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medusa 5.1 Surround Sound ProGamer Edition Headset (with mic)

Well, I got my Medusa 5.1 surroud sound headset in yesterday.

First impressions:
    Very high quality headset, along with the mic. I was told over TS that I was coming in loud and clear (no one yelled at me to adjust anything). This thing is a heavy duty headset with lots of padding around the ears and up top. I wish it would cup a little tighter around the ears, but it's pretty good. I'm blind and cannot function without glasses. My fear with all headsets is that it will start hurting around the ears due to the headset pushing on the glasses. This was NOT the case with this, I was extremely happy with that.

Setup:
    I have an Audigy 2ZS soundcard. I only installed drivers, I didn't install any of the Creative software the last time I formatted my drive. Turns out this was a problem. I selected 5.1 surround in the windows sound tool, but it didn't appear to take. This headset has 4 volume controls on a switch on the cable. I would turn all off and only leave on the sub or the rear or the center channel. Nothing. Didn't matter what I did. I was watching the T-Rex battle scene on King Kong to test this out. Luckily while looking for my "DVD Player software" I stumbled on the Audigy software disc. I went ahead and installed everything (except drivers since mine were newer). Bingo! The setup in there activated the 5.1 surround sound. Now I was getting bass and real surround sound out of my headphones! King Kong definitely sounded MUCH better.

Games:
    BF2: I was not overly impressed with the sound in this game. The gunfire sounded "hollow" and echoed a bit. When arty fired behind me it sounded all muffled and rattled. I could definitely tell which direction things were coming from, but I was really disappointed with this. My cheaper headset gave better arty and gunfire sounds. I even had an issue in the Spetsnaz tank/transport. Some sort of odd rattle sound. I had to figure out how to fix this.

Doom 3: I wanted to see how this game sounded because I knew it would have better sound. I fired it up and went to the options and selected "surround sound". Immediately I could hear the difference without even having to restart the game. I played for about 15 minutes and was quite impressed with what I was hearing. The directional sound is incredible!

Back to BF2: I figured I'd go to the EQ tool and see if I could change anything. I fired up some Jazz and started messing with the settings in the EQ. I got it so it sounded MUCH better than before I touched the EQ. Hey, let's try BF2 again! BIG difference. The echo hollow gunfire was gone, it sounded just like it did before. I was hearing what appeared to be true directional sound (not even sure if the game supports it) from air overhead and vehicles on the ground. When facing the arty it sounded perfect. When turned away it's still not perfect, I probably have to make a few more tweaks to the EQ tool. I will work on that today when I get home from work. I also want to try Doom again, I'm sure it's going to sound even better than before.

Overall: Very happy with this headset. You do need a free USB plug near the soundcard, so I had to move some around but this was minor in the grand scheme of things. One other thing to note is that you need a surround sound soundcard to support these headphones. You can use them without it, but it would really be a waste of money.

Re: Medusa 5.1 Surround Sound ProGamer Edition Headset (with mic)

Thanks for the review... One thing I found with my 5.1 headphones (they're an offbrand) is that music sounds outstanding, but in games where you're hearing a lot of action behind you, the rear speakers are very quiet and tinny. I'm not sure it that's the case with all surround sound headsets, but even after you're used to it, it still is annoying.
    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Hi..

I use Logitech® Premium Stereo Headset (tried to get link from Logitech, but gets moved to Norwegian page witch is of no use for you guys)!! Never been any problems with soundcard, or anything. This because it uses USB, which means that its a plug-and-play headset (have had problems with headset with ord. plugs in BF2) It has very good sound quality, and good "surround sound", so you can hear pepole sneak up on you from any angle! ;)
      The only issue I got with it, is that it has no padding on the top section on the headphones.. Or the lack of padding. So if you got some bumps and bruises on top of youre head from when you fell of the uglytree like me when I was younger. It might hurt some if you dont put it in the right position. This is after you have been playing for some hours! :P

Its the best buy Ive done on headset (and I tried a lot of them). And they dont get worn as other Ive had before.. No foam on earclocks, its hide I belive! But they are not to big. So you dont get sweaty by wearing them!

Its absolutly recomended!!!
      -loppa

__________________________________________________ _______________________________
      I feel like an outsider. I am on a different wavelength then everybody else -- programmed too kill.
      -Son of Sam
      "In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist." -General/President Eisenhover

Comment

That's got to be one of the most expensive headsets I've seen JMJ. And I thought $80 for my Plantronics DSP-500 USB headset was pricey when I bought it. :)

Sounds like once you get it tweaked it should sound great.

Comment

The big difference for this headset is the 5.1 surround sound. It may sound pricey, but if you compare it to some top of the line Sennheiser headsets it's really not that expensive. Given the fact that it has 4 speakers per ear to give quality surround, it's not that bad. If you have a pricey soundcard that offers surround sound, might as well take advantage of it :D

You just don't get that from USB or onboard sound.

Comment

I dont see the use of surround sound on headphones... The enviromentsound on ordinary headphones is more then enough for me.. I can hear if the sound comes from above, above left under me and so on. But if the surround is as good as you say, I might take a look at it in store if it is availeble here in Norway!
            -loppa

__________________________________________________ _______________________________
            I feel like an outsider. I am on a different wavelength then everybody else -- programmed too kill.
            -Son of Sam
            "In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist." -General/President Eisenhover

Comment

Originally posted by loppa
              I dont see the use of surround sound on headphones... The enviromentsound on ordinary headphones is more then enough for me.. I can hear if the sound comes from above, above left under me and so on. But if the surround is as good as you say, I might take a look at it in store if it is availeble here in Norway!
              These things are huge in the UK, not so much here in the US. They may or may not benefit you. Setting them up perfectly is proving to be a little bit of work, but already I can see the benefits. I thought I had good headphones before, but these emphasize the directional sound quite a bit.

I'm not telling everyone here to run out and buy a pair ;) Just remember you do need a soundcard that supports them. (Audigy 2, X-Fi I think). I actually want to learn a bit more about the X-Fi card but can't seem to find any information on what the 4 connections in the back are.

Anyone with an X-Fi card have that information?

Comment

Originally posted by JMJ
                These things are huge in the UK, not so much here in the US. They may or may not benefit you. Setting them up perfectly is proving to be a little bit of work, but already I can see the benefits. I thought I had good headphones before, but these emphasize the directional sound quite a bit.

I'm not telling everyone here to run out and buy a pair ;) Just remember you do need a soundcard that supports them. (Audigy 2, X-Fi I think). I actually want to learn a bit more about the X-Fi card but can't seem to find any information on what the 4 connections in the back are.

They're just standard 1/8" jacks. The same stuff from getting regular headphones. The configuration is standard with a jack each for front left/right, rear left/right, center/sub.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by JMJ

To much work for me my friend! ;) I need plug-and-play... Cant use to much time configuring soundcard and headphones! My kill pr day will then drop dramatically! :P But I might take a look if I can find it in any store here.
                  -loppa

-Son of Sam

Comment

Originally posted by =Sarc=
                    They're just standard 1/8" jacks. The same stuff from getting regular headphones. The configuration is standard with a jack each for front left/right, rear left/right, center/sub.
                    Okay. The reason I ask is because my Audigy 2 has like 6 connections in the back. So you're telling me that the 4 in the back of the X-Fi are 3 for speakers, and 1 for the mic? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by JMJ
                      Okay. The reason I ask is because my Audigy 2 has like 6 connections in the back. So you're telling me that the 4 in the back of the X-Fi are 3 for speakers, and 1 for the mic? Thanks.
                      Yep. It's a little sparse but it has all the connections you'll need for just about any speaker setup.

http://dmzweb4.europe.creative.com:8...ww_english_add

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I have the Medusas too - they feel heavy, like quality and cover the ears well. Directional sound works well for me - but it doesn't safe me from getting knifed all the time. My ears can't distinguish between my own sounds (in the game) and the knifer's sounds.
                        I found that using a PCI sound card was a big improvement over the on-board sound, and certainly easier on the CPU. I have only an audigy 2.

Comment

I bought the Medusa set with the pre-amp (not usb).
                          With the exception of the side coming off of the volume thingy on the cord (black tie-strap fixed) and that it didn't want to CRANK the jams I have been more than pleased so far.

Very comfortable and adjustable. Sounds great - probably better than usb cuzza the pre-amp.
                          Those gamers with really big heads will have no issue with fit. mine's about as small as it goes and fits great.

[tg-c1][conduct]

Chuck Norris can believe it's not butter

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...