Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My computer caught fire. And now I have questions.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My computer caught fire. And now I have questions.

My laptop, a Dell Inspiron XPS Gen 1, caught fire the other day.

Not raging inferno fire, but I walked into a room full of eye-stinging smoke spewing forth from all openings, and when I flipped it off the couch to yank the power, there was molten plastic on the underside.

They've asked me to leave it alone so they can investigate it, so I haven't taken it apart to see what's happened, but if I had to guess based on the location of the melty bits, I'm guessing something tragically Shakespearian happened to the power supply.

Dell is currently building me a replacement machine, and they've indicated it will be an upgrade of sorts, most likely the M1710. They say everything should equal or exceed what I already had, which is good, so I don't have to worry about not getting enough RAM or not getting a DVD burner.

But my old system was a 3.4ghz P4, and the M1710 runs the intel Core Duo at 1.83, 2, or 2.16 ghz. I don't know which processor they will ship, (I'll be getting the replacement in 2 weeks, and I probably won't know until I open the box).

My question is, how do I compare the two processors? Is a 1.8ghz core duo going to be better than my old 3.4? I know the old proc was 2 years old, but it was still blazing fast compared to a lot of modern machines I've compared it to. It's important to me because I do a lot of video editing for my business, and I'm rendering video in Adobe Production Studio all the time. I need to know if I'm going to take a performance hit or if I should look forward to better things.

Without the new computer in hand, I can only take Dell's word for it that they're trying to make things right. I have no reason to doubt them, I've had nothing but excellent service from them and more than one occasion where I felt they went above and beyond. But I want to know if there are any people who've had something like this happen with them before, and also whther or not there is anything I should look out for with the new proc.
    ---
    Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Re: My computer caught fire. And now I have questions.

The Duo is intel's dual-core chip. So, you know, you get dual core. Yay! =P From what I've read, it's going to be an upgrade in terms of processing ability (even through it's rated at lower GHZ) over the P4 single core chips, but they are supposed to be quite a power hog over single core, so expect shorter battery life.

Here's a link to a benchmarking test that anandtech did with the 2.0 chip
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2627&p=7
    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Yeah, my original laptop pulled something like 150 watts, so I'm used to that. Luckily, everywhere I take it I find power outlets.
      ---
      Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

The core duo is more powerfull then the old 3.4.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Originally posted by Switchcraft
          Without the new computer in hand, I can only take Dell's word for it that they're trying to make things right.
          Have you tried asking them to send you TWO laptops in order to keep you from sending your dangerously defective laptop to your lawyer before sending it in for warranty service?

It might work...

And then you could have a new dual core CPU laptop AND an old 3.4 CPU laptop!
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Your's isn't the 1st to catch fire: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32550
            Retired 6th DB

Comment

Nice!
              ---

Comment

Not the second either: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/counter...atch-fire.html
                Battlefield Admin() ()
                [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                | for | |

Comment

Yeah... this is three fires in two weeks. That's a wee bit excessive, no?
                  [volun2]
                  NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                  Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                  <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                  <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

WOW, all I have to say is WOW. I feel for you man, WOW...

By any chance were you on TG's IRC when this happened?

Comment

Man, i wanna know about the couch. You said you saw molten plastic under the laptop. So did it mess up your couch any? If so, id be askin for a new one from dell as well as a new laptop.

And i second Cing's idea. That could have been a pretty bad situation if you had left the house instead of just the room.

Comment

All of a sudden I am somewhat concerned as my gf has a dell XPS with the P4 and leaves it on most of the time. :( Looks like that may need to stop.
                        |TG-Irr|Avengingllama
                        I used to eat paint chips. Now I just drink the paint because I couldn't find a salsa that went well with the chips and they were dry =)

Comment

I don't think it has to do with being left on all the time...when working properly, mine ran very cool.
                          ---

Comment

Originally posted by freekyE
                            Man, i wanna know about the couch. You said you saw molten plastic under the laptop. So did it mess up your couch any? If so, id be askin for a new one from dell as well as a new laptop.

And i second Cing's idea. That could have been a pretty bad situation if you had left the house instead of just the room.
                            Th couch had minimal damage. Dell offered to make good on the couch and any injuries, but I did not feel the couch warranted any action.

Yes, there could have been serious injuries, but as there weren't, I am going to wait until I receive their solution before doing anything I don't need to. After all, they have always treated me excellently. I see no reason not to give them the opportunity to make this right on their own, which they do seem to be doing. If they fail to make this right, I have more than enough leverage to get it made right.

Besides, Dell is sending a new computer before they even ask to see the damaged one. That's classy, and it also inspires a bit of trust. The lawyers who crafted that replacement plan have to know if the new one doesn't seem good enough, the old one will make it to my lawyers first.
                            ---

Comment

Well, however it ends up, Im glad no one was hurt.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X