No announcement yet.

Setting Up Ubuntu Part 3: Links and Resources You Need to Know About

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting Up Ubuntu Part 3: Links and Resources You Need to Know About

A couple of days ago, I posted an informal survey to see what you guys wanted to see covered. Thus far, the responses come in two flavors: "Help me!" and "Ok, Linux boy, show us the hard stuff!"

Since the former is relatively easy, and the second, is going to take some time, I am going to take the easy way out and stall, stall, stall while actually being helpful. Win-win all around. :row__577:

The first place to go, if everything in Ubuntu is broken, is the Ubuntu Forums. I can't say enough good things about the Ubuntu community: they tend to be helpful, explaining very difficult things clearly and succinctly. Check the How-To section first, then try the Game Central area. Chances are, you are not the only user to have the issue you are having.

There is also an Ubuntu Wiki, which varies in usefullness. Your mileage may vary.

Some blogs can be helpful in tracking down issues as well. UbuntuOS has some great how-tos for things like NTFS write, and making Ubuntu look like Vista. UbuntuBlog is another good blog that has good how-tos and commentary.

If you have a laptop, and are running Ubuntu, well, you should also check Linux on Laptops if you run into any hardware specific issues.

If you are absolutely new to Ubuntu, try the following:
    Ubuntu Documentation
    Unofficial Ubuntu Guide
    How to install anything in Ubunutu

Instead of entering all those commands, make your life easy and get Automatix.

For people absolutely new to linux, I suggest listening to the Linux Reality podcasts. The first 7 podcasts are on basic Linux usage and maitenance.

Another site that has some good Tutorials is I find the site a little slow, but the tutorials could come in handy, and they have a nice selection of linux links to keep you occupied.

If you want to dive right in, and get messy in the terminal, well, check the Linux Documentation Project. There are guides to Linux administration, Bash commands, Advanced Shell Scripting, and more. The how-tos are a bit dated, although someone might find them useful.

Two software resources you are going to need, outside of Synaptic, are Freshmeat, and Sourceforge. There are thousands of open source projects on these sites, ranging from the smallest desktop applet, to mainframe server applications. Freshmeat is cool because it hosts screenshots of the applications while you browse, but I find Sourceforge more usefull over all.

For linux news, there must be 100s, if not 1000s, of sites and blogs by now. That said, 90% of them are evangelist crap. For more measured news, I check:

Mad Penguin

Between these three sites, you can get a really good idea of what is going on.

Ok, now on to gaming.

If you want to game, you have two choices: play native linux games, or play Windows games via a not-emulator.

For native gaming, the Freshmeat site is quite good, but the Linux Game Tome is better. Also superlative is Strange Gamer.

There are also some decent Open Source Quake-style games that you should check out while we are talking about native gaming: Nexuiz, Warsow, Alien Arena, Open Arena, Cube. There are also some Quake, Descent, and other ported titles managed by Linux gaming guru/evangelist icculus if you are so inclined.

For everything else, you are going to need WINE. WINE comes in 3 major flavors: the standard edition, an office application centric version from Codeweavers called Crossover Office, and a gaming focused version put out by Transgaming called Cedega.

Getting Windows games to run on Linux is no sure thing. WineHQ has a bunch of how-to's listed when you check the applications database. Frank's Corner is another site that is worth checking, especially if you don't feel like sprining for a Transgaming license to play an older title.

For Cedega, I've linked the Forums and the Unofficial Wiki before but for the sake of completeness, I'm posting them again.

It's at least usful to check the Transgaming forums to see if you are the only one having an issue with a game, which is usually not the case. The folks in the forum alternate between being helpful and petulant, seemingly at random. For the basic subscription, it seems that people want XP like gaming capability, which is quite unrealistic.

I've probably forgot more links than I remember, but that should cover you on your Linux experiment.

Next time, I'll try to dodge the meaty issues with eyecandy, or something. :row__577:

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed