Need some help from TG tech guys

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help from TG tech guys

Hey guys I could use a bit of help. I have been asked/hired to build a PC for a coworker and haven't been given much time to do it. Now I have built systems before so I am not worried about that but what I have issues with is configuring the components. I usually stick with AMD but I plan to use the Intel 805D chip for this one since it is so cheap. This build has a $900 budget and that includes trying to fit in a 19" LCD monitor. This monitor will have to be around $200 range give or take a few bucks. This will be an everyday family computer not really a gamer and won't require a sound card as onboard sound will do fine. So if anyone can post links and prices to the following that would be a great help and if anyone has any advice on components I am all ears

CPU: Intel 805D $106.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116001

I need:
    Case
    Mobo
    Ram 1gig 2 sticks 512 mhz pc 3200
    Video card
    CD/DVD rom and Burner

Thanks for all the help.
    sigpic

Re: Need some help from TG tech guys

This 19" LCD is just under $200, has great reviews and Acer LCDs have a 3 year warranty. The specs are plenty good, even if it was to be used for gaming in the future. Looks like with the sale it also has free 3 day shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824009073

You'd need to order it today though to get that price since it's a one day sale.

Comment

It sounds like you've already made your mind up on the CPU, but keep in mind that you can get an A64 3200+ for under $100 and get a very significant performance increase. ZipZoomFly has the retail A64 3500+ on sale for $109 right now. That will utterly blow away the 805D in games. The X2 3800+ is supposedly going to drop to the mid-$100's when Conroe is released in a few weeks, and also blows the doors off the 805D in ever application I can think of.

Link to relevant benchie.

You're spending $107 for the second-worst performing chip in the roundup; why not spend $109 on a 3500+ and move into the middle of the pack? I know that I'm not answering the questions you asked, but thought you might want to know. I also know that you said it's not really going to be a gaming computer, but performance is performance.
      A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx
        It sounds like you've already made your mind up on the CPU, but keep in mind that you can get an A64 3200+ for under $100 and get a very significant performance increase. ZipZoomFly has the retail A64 3500+ on sale for $109 right now. That will utterly blow away the 805D in games. The X2 3800+ is supposedly going to drop to the mid-$100's when Conroe is released in a few weeks, and also blows the doors off the 805D in ever application I can think of.

Link to relevant benchie.

You're spending $107 for the second-worst performing chip in the roundup; why not spend $109 on a 3500+ and move into the middle of the pack? I know that I'm not answering the questions you asked, but thought you might want to know. I also know that you said it's not really going to be a gaming computer, but performance is performance.

I asked for advice also which you are giving me. I knew if I posted asking for some help I would probably get it with better prices and components if I were to do it myself. Thanks for the help Tybalt and Digital Assassin

Edit: Any suggetsions for a Mobo for that 3500+
        sigpic

Comment

I posted a little whlie back, (in this forum) a quick guide to building a new PC. It wasn't 100% complete, (and never will be due to constant changes in the market), but in that post I Stressed the MOST IMPORTANT PART of building a computer.

"What do you want to use this computer for?"

That is the underlying decision on what you need to buy.

A setup for digital imaging, or a home family computer, or a gaming rig are all COMPLETELY different...
          Yellow Asterix built his system for around 1200 i think, so you can knock out a few components there, and build his (which i hear is running as smooth as a baby's bottom...)
          Ambriento for comm! Vote today!

Comment

Originally posted by Darkilla
            I posted a little whlie back, (in this forum) a quick guide to building a new PC. It wasn't 100% complete, (and never will be due to constant changes in the market), but in that post I Stressed the MOST IMPORTANT PART of building a computer.

"What do you want to use this computer for?"

That is the underlying decision on what you need to buy.

A setup for digital imaging, or a home family computer, or a gaming rig are all COMPLETELY different...
            Yellow Asterix built his system for around 1200 i think, so you can knock out a few components there, and build his (which i hear is running as smooth as a baby's bottom...)

I totally agree with that, no reason to build a gaming computer to surf the net. That's why I prefer to build my own systems but with all the new stuff coming out so fast I have a hard time getting the configuration right.
            sigpic

Comment

For that price range and for it's intended usage, I would tell the guy to buy a Dell. Sure you might be able to build a slightly faster machine for the money, but then you'd have to provide all the support that your coworker is going to need (for free? for how long?). Also, the budget doesn't leave that much money for you to work with, $900 to start with, -$200 for a monitor, -$100 for windows xp oem, that leaves $600 to cover CPU, case, power supply, mobo, ram, video card, hard drive, CD/DVD burner, keyboard, mouse, tax, shipping, profit for you(?). Dude you're getting a Dell.

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx
                I would have done that if the 3500+ wasn't made by AMD. :)

Just poking fun.

I did, however, go see Over the Hedge yesterday and noticed at the end of the credits that the movie was rendered on "AMD Opteron" servers. I thought that was pretty cool and a good feather in the cap of AMD.
                Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalAssassin
                  This 19" LCD is just under $200, has great reviews and Acer LCDs have a 3 year warranty. The specs are plenty good, even if it was to be used for gaming in the future. Looks like with the sale it also has free 3 day shipping.

You'd need to order it today though to get that price since it's a one day sale.

Cool ,.. I ordered one ... ;)

Thanks DA !

:D
                  |TG-7th| Gixxer_USMC

" Winners Never Quit ..... Quitters Never Win "

[combat][squadl][conduct][defense3][medic]
                  [armor][tog-c1][tg-c2][ma-c1][taw-c1]

Comment

Glad I could help. I've been watching and plan to purchase soon but I have to wait for the funding.

Comment

Ok here is what I have come up with. If anyone sees something that might not be right or something that might be better please let me know.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+ Socket AM2 (62W) Orleans core $109.00

MOBO: Gigabyte M51GM-S2G GeForce 6100 + nForce 430 Athlon 64(FX)(X2) SktAM2 DDR2 $87.49

MEM: Kingston KVR400D2N3K2/1G 1GB Kit DDR2-400 PC2-3200 $106.90

VIDEOCARD: SAPPHIRE 100106L Radeon X850XT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express $129.99+$5.46 ship after $20.00 mail in rebate

HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA $89.99

CDROM BURNER/DVD ROM: $32.99

CASE: ASPIRE X-Infinity ATXB6KLW-BK/420 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ATX 420W power supply for AMD/Intel Power Supply $59.99+$14.29 ship

XP HOME: $89.99

MONITOR: Acer ET.L5209.005 Black 19" 8ms Widescreen LCD Monitor $182.99

For a grand total of $909.08 includes shipping and my labor isn't part of this price. The $900 budget was for parts only. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks
                      sigpic

Comment

looks good - only thing I'd suggest is a DVD burner... it's not much more and is a LOT more useful :)

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix
                          looks good - only thing I'd suggest is a DVD burner... it's not much more and is a LOT more useful :)

I had one in there but I took it out. I will ask him if he wants one put in it and go from there. I can get one for about $40.00 but it is up to him if he wants it.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalAssassin

Oh man, this is starting to hurt. How can I NOT buy an LCD monitor? :)

Any idea at all how this compares to the AL1916W? I can get the AL1916W nice and cheap at a local store, but not the one you linked.
                            Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Wow. That's a lot of computer for the money. Nice build.
                              A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X