DVI vs VGA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVI vs VGA

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but can anyone give me advice on DVI vs VGA for an LCD monitor? I just picked up an LCD which turned out to be VGA input only, and I'm gonna take it back if the quality isn't going to be just as good as DVI.

Links? Experience? HELP?

sigh...
    Peace through fear... since 1947!

Re: DVI vs VGA

DVI

digital > analog

Detailed answer
    |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

I prefer DVI because you don't have to adjust your screen. Also vga is on its way out. Most new LCD's will bring HDMI now and DVI is interchangeable with HDMI just without the sound. HDMI 1.3 will be out after christmas and then you'll start to see more graphic cards with them.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Ya, I knew what it was, I just wondered if it was actually inferior.

Digital is not always better than analog. Take, for example, DVB satellite versus normal cable. Regular cable has a better picture (HDTV aside).

I did some research on the net and was able to back up my fear. I have already wiped the tears from my eyes, boxed the thing back up, and moved on. Tomorrow, I get to come home and install my new toy, but now I am sucked into paying more.

Comment

I can tell the difference between DVI and VGA at 1280x1024... Even bigger difference at 1600x1200.
          Battlefield Admin() ()
          [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
          [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
          | for | |

Comment

Thanks, I swapped it for the same monitor with DVI.

Comment

I haven't seen any LCD monitor with HDMI input.

DVI cables are expensive though, and a lot of manufacturers are too stingy to include it.

I recently bought a 19' Samsung 940MW HD LCD TV/monitor that has native resolution of 1440x900 (16:10), takes DVI-D/VGA/RCA/S-Video/Component and Coxial with built-in TV tuner and Picture-in-Picture. Great for both PS2 and PC, and only $400. The picture quality is great and it has decent Dolby 2.0 speakers and audio out. Highly recommended if you want a do-it-all display.

Comment

I've never seen a 19 foot monitor. That puts my 50" plasma to shame.
                ---
                Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

Originally posted by Switchcraft
                  I've never seen a 19 foot monitor. That puts my 50" plasma to shame.
                  And for only $400 too?!? What a deal! ;)
                  AKA ContingencyPlan

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X