Conroe Chip Plans?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conroe Chip Plans?

Is anyone planning to build a new system around the Intel Conroe/Core 2 Duo CPU? I'm about THIS CLOSE to making the leap. I like the faster benchmarks, reduced power consumption and potential for a competitive price

I've been waiting for the new chip and apparently the NDA's come off around July 13/14 so we'll see lots of introductions following that.

About the only website that I've seen that is taking pre-orders is suggesting mid-August actual availability.

My thinking at the moment is this:

Asus P5W-DH MB
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.67Ghz
    2 GB DDR2-800 Memory (specific yet to be decided on)
    Antec P-180 Case
    Seasonic 600W PS
    Nvidia 7950 1Meg Video Card
    HD (probably just single drive 250 GB (to be determined))
    I'm thinking air-cooled with Zalman ZNPS 9500Cu.

Any thoughts? Anyone planning something similar?
    Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Re: Conroe Chip Plans?

If I do build a new rig it would be very similar. The only difference is I would go with an ATI x1900 xt or xtx and a Lian Li PC-V2000BPLUSII. I have never owned an ATI gpu but this can do HDR with AA AF while nvidia can't. Also the 7950 drivers are still dodgey and beta I think. I like the Lian-li because it will fit my water cooling better then my thermaltake shark. EDIT: Oh and maybe some DDR2 1000.
    Last edited by troublesome4u; 07-08-2006, 11:13 PM.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

I'm specing out a Conroe system as well but it's tough searching for motherboard info. The Asus P5W DH is a Crossfire board so take that into consideration when buying an nVidia card. There are signs of the i975X chipset supporting both Crossfire and SLI but SLI requires modified nVidia drivers. I wouldn't get one of those boards yet and expect SLI support. There are nVidia boards coming out that will support Conroe and SLI.

If you're not looking for a dual video card setup in the future, I'd go with the Asus P5B instead. It'll be cheaper unless you're looking for specific features in the P5W DH. The main differences I see is the P5W DH has an extra IDE connector, WiFi, Crossfire, and a remote. Although, the P5B Deluxe has WiFi and the remote.

The parts I'm looking at:

E6600
      Asus P5B non-deluxe
      2GB DDR2-800 (probably OCZ, you can spend more money on Corsair) as mobos come out I want to check compatibility
      7900GT (upgrading to a DX10 card next year, otherwise I might pick a 7900GTX or X1900XT

I'm reusing a lot of old components from my current setup. I might get a new HD depending on the mobo I get. If I do get a i975X board, I'd switch to a ATI card and forget about a new HD (current harddrives are IDE). With a different chipset like the 965, I'd stay with the cheaper mid-range 7900GT and get a SATA HD (I'd reuse one IDE HD and use the other channel for DVD burner). It's a tough choice and I might stick with a 7900GT no matter what since I plan on switching to a DX10 card in about a year.

I may even just go back to the AM2 system I've been piecing together. The AM2 prices will be cheaper when Conroe comes out and I don't know what the availability of Conroe parts will be like at release. I may be gouged with Conroe because of high demand.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

=Sarc= If your gettin the 7900GT look for the cards with the 8 in the middle of the number: N584-R and so on. These are the new revisions and don't have the thermal problems people were having with early models. This one comes with the new hitman game http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130032

It's still a little early to see what I would get I would really like to see some benchmarks. DFI INFINITY 975X/G might OC well but doesn't seem as feature packed as the P5W DH. Also I'd like to see what comes of the 965 chipset.

"Intel hints that Conroe is going to release at B-2 Stepping as Intel Core 2 Duo processor. As for the previous version, a problem was found to make the system full loaded. Itís only solved in the new stepping. We donít encourage anyone to buy the engineering sample from the web. The retail version is going to release in the end of this month, and itís much stable."
        http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/itnews.php?tid=627088

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

I've been waiting for Conroe to come out until I upgrade as well, but I'll probably end up waiting til around Holiday season until the techonology matures a bit.

The benchmarks do look very promising, although I'm eagerly awaiting AMD's answer to it for the sake of competition and driving down prices :D

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by troublesome4u
            =Sarc= If your gettin the 7900GT look for the cards with the 8 in the middle of the number: N584-R and so on. These are the new revisions and don't have the thermal problems people were having with early models. This one comes with the new hitman game http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130032
            I've heard of various brands having problems but are you referring just to the evga cards?
            Originally posted by tau_neutrino
            I've been waiting for Conroe to come out until I upgrade as well, but I'll probably end up waiting til around Holiday season until the techonology matures a bit.

The benchmarks do look very promising, although I'm eagerly awaiting AMD's answer to it for the sake of competition and driving down prices :D
            Sounds like the waiting game. :D I think when Conroe comes out, it'll be best to buy at that time. There won't be a reason for Intel to cut prices when AMD comes back with the K8L. K8L might not even be ready until early 2007. Conroe systems already look reasonably priced. Almost makes me want to drool!

Comment

=Sarc= it was all 7900GT's and KO's not just evga. If anything evga is the best with a LifeTime waranty.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Originally posted by troublesome4u
                =Sarc= it was all 7900GT's and KO's not just evga. If anything evga is the best with a LifeTime waranty.
                Oh ok, I thought it was across the 7900GT's. Is there any other way to tell? If you haven't noticed, I'm from Canada and will probably buy from NCIX.com. The part numbers are different there.

Comment

The part numbers are similar just look at the part that begins with n like n564, n583, n584 ..... the ones with the 8 are newer. BFG is also great. You can just buy any evga or bfg and if it doesn't clock that well, send it to manufacturer for another one. Many of the newer cards are RoHS Compliant which just means they don't use stuff like mercuy and lead ....

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

The XFX 7900GT on NewEgg has this: XFX PV-T71G-UCE7... doesn't seem like an easy way to tell if it's a fixed version.

I've browsed through NCIX and the evga cards have the easily recognizable part numbers. Other 7900GT's seem to be unrelated to the 6, 8 versions I should be looking for.

Asus EN7900GTTOP/2DHT/256M/A
                    BFG BFGR79256GTOCE

Anybody know anything on the 965 boards? There seems to be a lack of info on the choices. I guess more info will be out once the NDA is lifted.

Comment

I can't. No money and I already have a 4800+.
                      RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                      TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
                      7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                      "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
                      "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

That part number may be exclusive to evga. Try the RoHS Compliant cards as they are newer(manufactured later).

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

In spite of scouring around, looking at pre-order possibilties, etc., there is just not much information available about full compatibility on some of the items. F'rinstance, it was properly pointed out that the ATI chipsets on the current mobos will support (only) ATI/Crossfire...not SLI/Nvidia.

While I'm looking to buy/upgrade to the Conroe CPU, I expect to have a lot of new information once the NDA's come off...and a boatload of supply/availability/compatibility issues to chew on.

Exciting times!!:icon_eek:
                          Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

Originally posted by HardOCP's Conroe Review (Oblivion)
                            Oblivion is the only game in our testing suite that we found had any kind of gaming experience differentiation between the Intel’s Core 2 and AMD's FX-62. Even then, it was only a small difference.
                            Originally posted by (Same)
                            The ONLY difference that we experienced is that we did have to lower a couple of settings with the AMD Athlon 64 FX-62 platform compared to the Intel platforms...all three CPUs played well at 1280x1024 with no AA/16X AF and HDR enabled. The graph shows that with the settings tested the CPUs are dead even.
                            Originally posted by (Performance Summary)
                            Oblivion was the only game that we saw any real-world difference in. We had to lower shadow quality slightly on the AMD Athlon 64 FX-62 in comparison to both the Intel X6800 and E6700 CPUs. Though we had to lower this setting the impact on the gaming experience was minor. Other than that setting all other in-game settings were equal at 1280x1024 with no AA, 16X AF and HDR enabled.
                            Linkx0r.
                            A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

From Tom's Hardware...

Conclusion

First of all let me sort the facts: As soon as Core 2 Duo hits the market, it will...

* be the fastest x86 processor (both single and dual core models)
                              * make the Pentium D and all predecessors look like antiques
                              * be the clear choice for performance users despite its rather expensive price
                              * outperform the complete Athlon 64 family (X2 and FX) in all areas, including gaming, where AMD has traditionally been very strong
                              * consume less energy than other standard desktop processors
                              * transform the whole Intel platform from an energy-hungry beast to a reasonable solution that is competitive in terms of performance per Watt

We expect Core 2 Duo to roll out slower than Intel proclaims, so don't expect to get every model in every shop right from the start. All eyes are staring at Intel, especially after it announced decreasing revenues and layoffs. For these reasons we believe that it will do everything that is necessary to ensure a stable processor supply

AND...for the AMD fans...

Sunnyvale (CA) - A spokesperson for AMD confirmed to TG Daily that customers should expect AMD to announce a substantial price drop in its highest performance desktop processors, including Athlon 64 X2. The price drop should be announced at or about the time that Intel announces the release of its next-generation Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Extreme processors - an announcement which is now expected before the end of the month.

AMD spokesperson Damon Muzny confirmed that a story TG Daily ran late Wednesday evening and into Thursday morning, stating AMD planned to drop Athlon 64 X2 prices to compete, was indeed accurate.

This move will come in the wake of claims of vastly improved performance which Tom's Hardware Guide confirmed - or perhaps more accurately, vindicated with room to spare - in a complete battery of tests for both applications and gaming, pitting Intel's soon-to-be-announced top-of-the-line Core 2 Extreme at 3.2 GHz, against AMD's current top-of-the-line Athlon 64 FX-62 at 2.8 GHz. In one framerate production test, a system with an overclocked Core 2 Extreme (similar to what Dell will feature in its upcoming revised XPS 700) demonstrated 84% better performance than a similarly equipped system with its AMD counterpart.

Despite these numbers which would restore Intel to the throne of performance leader - at least for this month - AMD's Muzny repeated his comment that "we intend to maintain our price/performance leadership" after Intel's launch of Core 2 Duo. As a result, AMD will reduce prices in order that performance-per-dollar metrics will remain competitive with, if not outperform, Intel's. "Intel's been very open," Muzny admitted, in letting the press - including TG Daily and Tom's Hardware Guide - preview the performance figures for Conroe architecture, implying that much of what Intel has been touting to date appears to be correct. There's an application performance level that customers are looking for, he said, and AMD wants to continue to be associated with that level.

"The equation is," Muzny stated, "what is it you're getting for your dollar? We've established a leadership position, and we're just not willing to let that go."

How much of a price drop we should expect to see, Muzny would not comment, though it appears that figure may not yet be determined. He did characterize his company's planned move as "aggressive," apparently with the aim of presenting a performance-per-dollar figure that meets or exceeds the same metric applied to Conroe.

This measure will keep AMD on a competitive pace with Intel, we were told, until that company can bring its 65 nm foundries fully online. Muzny confirmed this price drop will apply to performance desktop CPUs only, not to AMD's Opteron or Turion lines or to the company's Sempron value line.
                              Beep

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X