Computer shuts off

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer shuts off

My wifes computer is having some strange problem with shutting itself off. It seems to be shutting down late at night. I have checked the power settings and I have found nothing that would indicate a shutoff during a specific time. I have scanned for viruses and spyware malware using AVG virus and Ewido security suite and Spybot S&D and that hasn't helped either. Anyone have any suggestions of where or what to look at. I have also looked at the event log and there are some errors but nothing i can connect to this shutting off stuff.

Specs
    Pentium 2.4c northy
    MSI k8n neo 2 mobo
    DDR 400 memory 1 gig
    Sapphire Radeon Atlantis 9600 256mgs video card
    sigpic

Re: Computer shuts off

Are you having heat related problems?

Comment

Shut down or Reboot ?
      |TG-7th| Gixxer_USMC

" Winners Never Quit ..... Quitters Never Win "

[combat][squadl][conduct][defense3][medic]
      [armor][tog-c1][tg-c2][ma-c1][taw-c1]

Comment

It shuts down not a reboot. That's why I don't think it is an over heating problem. It doesn't seem to ever happen under load, seems to happen when the computer has not been used for a few hours. I think it shuts down in the middle of the night and never seems to shut down regularly so I don't think it is a system setting. It's quite strange to be honest.
        sigpic

Comment

Maybe something is wrong with the fan, and it shuts off after a few hours of nonuse?

Comment

Random Restarts/Shutdowns are usually realted to either overheating or a power supply issue. I'd set up a program to monitor your power rails, if they drop too far below required levels the system will shut off. I've had to replace half a dozen or so cheapy generic PSU's because of it.
            a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
            Celibacy is not Hereditary.
            Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
            Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
            Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder
              Random Restarts/Shutdowns are usually realted to either overheating or a power supply issue. I'd set up a program to monitor your power rails, if they drop too far below required levels the system will shut off. I've had to replace half a dozen or so cheapy generic PSU's because of it.

Hmm that sounds like a possibility never thought of it. Would you know of any monitoring programs for PSU? I do have a spare PSU and it is a Thermaltake 430watt so I might just replace it and see if that fixes it. Thanks for the suggestions
              sigpic

Comment

Motherboard Monitor 5 http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Power makes sense... could be something big in your house drawing enough power that ita browns you out and trips a bad or small power supply. Do you have the AC programmed to start at some time during the night ... something like that?

Comment

also check that you don't have a setting in the bios for shutdown.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan
                      This is a good point on 2 fronts... auto timed shutdown and also you can usually set the behavior for after a power fault in the BIOS -- shutdown, restart, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan

I will have to check the Bios I didn't think of that either. If it isn't the Bios then I think it is the PSU. It's an older PS and it might be going bad.

Thanks for all the suggestions
                        sigpic

Comment

The same thing started happening to my wife's computer like last week. Late at night it shuts down. Two days ago she left the speakers on and they emitted a crackling noise (probably related to the 60s-era receiver that connects to the PC) when I went up there to check the PC was unresponsive but the fans were still running.
                          How would I check the PSU rails? Does ASUSprobe log the voltages?
                          The PSU is quite new - Antec.

Comment

You can install a monitoring program (such as mbm linked earlier), or you can check them in the bios when you startup.
                            a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                            Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                            Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                            Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                            Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X