tech problem (video/boot)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tech problem (video/boot)

Posted this to Dell's forums, but figured I'd get a quicker bunch of responses here.

Howdy. My department just received and installed around 100 brand new Optiplex GX620's (ultra small form factor v2). The machines have been out of the box for about 2 weeks, and we already have 3 essentially dead ones. Here is my problem.

The machine goes through the normal boot/POST process just fine. When it gets to the Windows XP initialization screen (blue scrolling bar), after about 5-10sec the video goes completely black and a few seconds later the monitor goes into sleep mode. Once here, the monitor cannot be brought out of sleep mode, and the only recourse is to manually power down the machine (a reboot of course yields the same problem). Even through the black screen, the HDD indicator light is still going, so I assume it's not a bad drive. I've also swapped known working monitors with the same results, so it's not a problem with the monitor.

I'm thinking that it's a bad video component on the system board, but I wanted to check here before I put in a parts request for three system boards in case it's something else.
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Re: tech problem (video/boot)

Well. if the monitor is going into sleep mode it's because it has no signal I would assume. If you've ruled out the monitor/cable, that just leaves the VC and/or the mobo. However, another thing of note with those *STUPID* ultra-small form factor cases like that, is that they overheat very, very, very easily. Especially in an office setting where they're jammed into whatever little space is deemed good enough. So that may be another thing to atleast look into.

Forgive me if my post sounds hostile, I just hate those little buggers with a passion. They overheat, they're a pain to work on, and my toaster oven has a bigger PSU.
    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Oh no, I'm sure I'll come to hate them in my own right. I hated the regular small form factor (the slim things that looked like the horizontal desktops of old) because the system board was such a pain in the rear to replace (pulling out the heatsink tended to result in ripping out the processor as well, and bent pins weren't all that uncommon). I've ruled out heat because the machine can be off all day and the problem happens immediately on the first boot. That, and the fact that I have 90+ other machines that are on 24/7 with no problem.
      [squadl]

Comment

How many Video outs does it have?

IE does it have VGA + S-Video/DVI? Or is it just VGA?

I have dual DVI and S-Video and i know sometimes after a crash windows will set the S-Video to primary, and both of my dual monitors will get no signal.

Just throwing that out there.
        Oyee

Comment

Well if the intel onboard graphics is bad you'll have to send the computer back instead of the gpu.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

DVI single input, though I did poke around in the setup to change the video settings. No change, however.

Originally posted by troublesome4u
            Well if the intel onboard graphics is bad you'll have to send the computer back instead of the gpu.
            I'm a Dell Certified Technician (/golfclap), so it's as simple as requesting a new system board, swapping them and sending back the bad one. Not hard, but seeing as these are brand new machines and my first experience with the new model, I'm checking out other options first. Looks like I'll just have to order a board on Monday and see if it fixes things.
            [squadl]

Comment

One of the projects I work on used to use Dell equipment exclusively. They migrated from laptops (C800s, D800s, etc.) to small form desktops since the price savings were quite substantial. We ran into similar issues with models prior to this one. It wasn't huge numbers (probably 600 Dell machines out in the field and during the whole time maybe 25-30 problem machines that were replaced for problems like this) but it was enough the client decided to start migrating to HP/Compaq machines.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X