Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Performance NIC - Yeah Right

http://www.shacknews.com/docs/press/..._bigfoot_nic.x

I wonder how many poor saps will actually think this will improve their performance noticeably.

As if some fancy NIC is going to somehow command the other jumps in your route to magically become faster. :)

Re: High Performance NIC - Yeah Right

arent these the same people who are saying they can create a lag free internet or something to that effect?

Kind of interesting read though if it actually wil do all it says it can
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Ummm... it has a big knife on it. That makes it faster. Duh.
      A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx
        Ummm... it has a big knife on it. That makes it faster. Duh.
        Yeah, initially made me think they were trying to brand it Fatal1ty or something. :)

Comment

"Flexible Network Architecture (FNA™) – allows everyone to freely write, download, and run applications that execute on the Killer’s Network Processing Unit. FNapps are user and industry developed applications that free your computer’s CPU to focus on the game."

Sweet! Finally some dedicated processor and memory space where I can run my undetectable packet hacks!

On poorly written games which flood users with unnecessary data, I could see something like this being potentially helpful, but only if it is integrated in the game (or the OS) such that it takes over packet processing completely up to the transport layer.

"Better Ping" wouldn't be what I was shooting for, it would be uniform data rates. The biggest problems I've seen in online games come from what I call CPU lag, which means that packet A and B travel through the network just fine, but the computer doesn't process them at the same interval because it is busy rendering graphics or doing other work at the same time. The result is that the packets enter the system in perfect time and the pings are fine, but what the packets describe does not show up in the same way on all of the systems. The effect of this isn't something which can be easily described because each game uses different prediction algorithms and code for handling the inevitable lag.

I got to see the effect of this first-hand when I played a fast-paced online game called Subspace (aka Continuum). There were always some players who just seemed tougher than others, and I always wondered what it was. They would face lag accusations all the time and their response would be to show their lag stats, which were invariably clean. Then one day, I had the fortune to drop in for a visit with one of these guys. He had a blazing fast cable connection, and he let me play on his system. I noticed right away that he had ALL of the graphics and sounds minimized as much as possible. I asked why, and he explained that it was a 486. It's hard to put that in perspective, but I was stunned. I wasn't even aware that the game would run on a 486. Anyway, the proof was in the playtest, and sure enough, I felt like the other players needed at least an extra bullet every time they wanted to take me out. It was clear to me that neither the server nor the other players were quite seeing what I was seeing.

That experience forever changed my perspective on online gaming. What you see is definitely not always what you get, and there's nothing you can do about it.

So uniform data rates would mean that the card controls the data transmissions and makes sure they always get sent on time. I'm not sure that even that would solve the slow-system (or bogged-down system) problem.
          Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X