is my PS enough?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is my PS enough?

well I have been saving up for a while and am about to build another computer. Here's what I am getting:
    Pentium D 820 2.8 ghz
    Western Digital Raptor 10k HD
    GeForce 7600 GT
    gigabyte G1975X MB
    OCZ PC6400 1 gig memory

The question I have is, I am at the limit of the amount I want to spend, and I really dont want to spend another $100 on a power supply. I have right now a 475 watt ps, would that be enough for my new rig? Thanks

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Re: is my PS enough?

Should be enough as long as you aren't overclocking and the PS isn't generic.

---

Comment

If you had a little more money, I would bump up your system memory to 2 GB RAM and make sure you ps is enough for the video card running under a full load.
      XBOX GT: STEALTH C4T

Comment

Originally posted by wildcat2000
        If you had a little more money, I would bump up your system memory to 2 GB RAM and make sure you ps is enough for the video card running under a full load.
        Yup, make sure it is enough not only in Watts, but also Amps.
        Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

Originally posted by RocketPunch
          Yup, make sure it is enough not only in Watts, but also Amps.
          Which are directly related numbers according to Mr. Ohm.
          Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Watts are an inflated number that can be manipulated by PSU companies because there is no required standard of measurement. A PSU can be rated for 600W but only be able to handle 350W depending on how much current is flowing through what rails.

475W in theory is big enough, but there is really no way of knowing without knowing what PSU you have if it's good enough, because the # is essentially pointless. I'd be worried if it was a generic brand PSU with that rig, if only because generic brand PSU's will take your rig with them when they blow.
            a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
            Celibacy is not Hereditary.
            Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
            Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
            Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

well i was planning on doing quite a bit of overclocking, and the ps supply came with a case i bought two years ago...

It's a Just PC brand, 24A max with + 12 v, 38A max with + 5 volt, im assuming thats referring to the 12 volt 4 pin connector which i am using, not sure if these specs are that great or not, although ive been using it for two years and have oc'd my current setup like crazy without it faltering yet

I would bump my memory up to 2 gigs, its just that im running broke with this setup, and thats the one thing I could get later

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

That sounds fine to me.. you might upgrade it later though - With those Amperages, the 475 is probably a continuous rating and not a peak rating, like some cheap P/S's try to get away with.

I think you are safe with that - just plan on a new PS when you go SLi!
                sigpic

Comment

yeah eventually i will go sli and by then i will definately grab a newer one, it says 500 watt max, so I guess 500's the peak rating, although 25 watts probably doesnt matter much anyways

Comment

More like 515.. but you'ld need a Power Supply like this for SLi - I imagine yours doesn't has the two 12v leads needed for SLi or Crossfire.
                    sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X