Remote Back-up services

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Back-up services

Can anyone recommend a remote/off-site backup service for a small business?
    sigpic

Re: Remote Back-up services

What needs do you have in a backup solution?
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Trouble free, off-site file backup.

- - I am in IRC Wyz..
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bonehead
        I use ftp remote server back-up for some of my small business clients. Clean and simple, easy on the budget as well.
        Is it to an FTP you have to manage?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bonehead
          WSFTP, use it on their local server and schedule it nightly to do an incremental backup to one of my servers in the NOC. Quick and easy.
          That is a consideration, considering we are going to probably exceed 100GB in initial storage. Now - the server in the NOC, do you back that up?

An aspect for consideration is that 25 years worth of paper files are being scanned and stored (there are Hundreds of thousands of architectural and engineering drawings) so this data that is backed up, must last - literally forever.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P8riot
            That is a consideration, considering we are going to probably exceed 100GB in initial storage. Now - the server in the NOC, do you back that up?

An aspect for consideration is that 25 years worth of paper files are being scanned and stored (there are Hundreds of thousands of architectural and engineering drawings) so this data that is backed up, must last - literally forever.
            You could print it all out and put it on a shelf of some kind.
            [volun2]
            NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
            Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
            <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
            <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

I use Cobian Backup with a rackhost.net account. I backup from my house. They nightly backup my account.

- My workstation's hard disk
              - My rackhost account
              - Their nightly backup of my rackhost account

I don't trust the security of the remote FTP location. I'd recommend you implement your own security (encrypted files or some such).

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
                You could print it all out and put it on a shelf of some kind.
                It's outgrown the 'shelf' (more than 500Sq Ft) . And the older stuff is deteriorating and falling apart.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                  I don't trust the security of the remote FTP location. I'd recommend you implement your own security (encrypted files or some such).
                  Encryption is a given.
                  sigpic

Comment

What is the budget for this project?
                    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
                      What is the budget for this project?
                      TBD - It could become a line-item cost of doing business. I am calling a meeting this week with my management staff to see what it is worth. It may require other projects be delayed if we get into a $6000 annual backup/storage commitment.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P8riot
                        TBD - It could become a line-item cost of doing business. I am calling a meeting this week with my management staff to see what it is worth. It may require other projects be delayed if we get into a $6000 annual backup/storage commitment.
                        Companies like Iron Mountain provide a solid remote backup and recovery solution. But the pricing can be a bit prohibitive for really small organizations or individuals. On the flip side, using services like this provides a solid and workable solution for diaster recovery/business continuity planning.

If the source machine is in a datacenter, would you have issues with a target backup machine being in the same datacenter or would you want to diversify the locations the data is stored in?

You could get a $200/month server and keep a second copy of the data/applications in a cold/warm site environment.
                        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Iron Mountain is my lead choice right now..

Diversified locations and out of the state - it's because of our location we want the data out of here.. out of the state. When we build our office, we hardened it for hurricanes, but recent history has shown that it is no guarantee. Most of our houses aren't hardened either.

It is possible that we do a mix of two types.. I may consider a Disk to disk back up with an external drive for the legacy data and something like LiveVault for our high-value current needs, then we should probably just begin passing long term storage fees on to our clients.

Maybe even contract with the architects we work with to ease the burden of thier storage requirements by combining them with ours... hmmmmm...
                          sigpic

Comment

Does MySpace let you upload files?

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                              Does MySpace let you upload files?
                              ROFL!!

SUUUUUURE! That then it becomes THIER property :p
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse