Any1 upgraded to Conroe yet???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any1 upgraded to Conroe yet???

Just wondering if any1 has upgraded yet, and if so which chip?

I am looking at E6600 as they are reported to do 3.6Ghz on Air. Also have double the L2 cache. Will see a real difference from my setup i bet.

Abit AN8 Ultra
    AMD 3000+ Venice @ 2.6 + Arctic Freezer 64
    MSI NX6800 Ultra
    GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC4000
    [defense]

Re: Any1 upgraded to Conroe yet???

6600 Looks pretty enticing as the best price/performance candidate at "list" prices. Trouble is its very unlikely you can just pick a Conroe up in the store anytime soon. Dell et all are going to grab most of the production until christmas. Any of the retail vendors that do grab some inventory are going to be in markup heaven.
    Unfortunatley, I don't think the Core 2 duo's are going to be via upgrades until very late this year. I may grab the reduced price AMD 5000+ combined with the cheaper mboards as an option as its performance and pricing are pretty close to the 6600.

Comment

Hey all,

Phaze...Although the new Intel chips do look very good, why not just upgrade to a Dual Core AMD chip?? I'm very seriously considering doing that...I'm running an Opteron 144 at 2.4 ghz on air right now with no problems though....so I'm not sure if I should go dual core or not. The dual core 3800's are dirt cheap right now...ahh decisions..decisions..

Chappie

Comment

Originally posted by Chappie
        Hey all,

Phaze...Although the new Intel chips do look very good, why not just upgrade to a Dual Core AMD chip?? I'm very seriously considering doing that...I'm running an Opteron 144 at 2.4 ghz on air right now with no problems though....so I'm not sure if I should go dual core or not. The dual core 3800's are dirt cheap right now...ahh decisions..decisions..

Chappie
        If Phaze is going to OC the E6600, it'll do far better than a X2 3800+. Even compared to the X2 5000+, the E6600 will do better. The only reason to buy AMD is because it's cheap. It's a very good reason too for gamers on a budget. Those Conroe motherboards are far too expensive at the moment. One has to question the value of the hardware when the motherboard can cost as much as the processor.

Despite the prices, I still want to stick with Conroe. It draws far less power for the amount of work it can do. Also, our computers aren't solely gaming systems. It's becoming more common for users to encode mp3's and video for their music/video devices. Those still on S939 can benefit on the price drops to upgrade their processors. The new system builders are going to consider getting Conroe over AM2. Get the best if you're building a new system.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X