Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD/ATI merge

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/V...110899,00.html

It is still possible it won't happen but I don't see that as coming to pass.
    RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
    TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
    7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
    "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
    "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Re: AMD/ATI merge

Possible it won't happen? Looks like it happened.

So does Intel buy Nvidia now?
    sigpic

Comment

^^^^^It is possible but I doubt it. I can't imagine Nvidia offering Intel much. Especially with rumors of Intel getting back into the discrete GPU market again.
      RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
      7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
      "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti

[tg-c1]

Comment

Best analysis that I have found suggests that the longer term strategy (4+ years out) is for using larger clusters of CPUs-on-a-chip to take over graphics processing and essentially bypass the GPU as a stand-alone device. Why? Better control, better TDP, better use of silicon. There is already discussion of 32 processer clusters at Intel.

Intel has the resources to follow this path, to go it alone, while AMD does not (without ATI). This would explain the "real" strategic purpose behind AMD's purchase of ATI. It's a strategic "make vs buy" decision with the choice of "buy" the ATI knowledge/skills and help AMD accelerate its competitive development against Intel.

One implication of this is that nVidia is the odd man out.

In the shorter term, we will continue to see discrete GPUs of ever-higher power demands and heat generation.
        Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

^^^^Current rumors are suggesting that the R600 and G80 will be 300 watt graphics cards. However the series after should bring that down.
          7th Infantry FTW!!!!!

[tg-c1]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...