Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to find CPU upgrade possibilities for my mobo?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to find CPU upgrade possibilities for my mobo?

Given AMD's recent price drops, I'm wondering where I can find my CPU upgrade possibilities for my mobo, the Asus A7N8X-D (nForce2) mobo. I've got a 2600 in it right now, which I think is the bottleneck on my PC for playing games (god knows I've replaced/upgraded every other component). If I can get a decent deal on a new CPU to max out my system, I'm all for it, but I don't have the manual anymore and can't seem to easily locate a chart showing which Socket A cpus are supported by the mobo.

EDIT: Looks like it's just up to 3000+. I think I'll just have to wait to upgrade the whole box to 64 bit, PCI-E, etc. :(
    Beatnik

Re: Where to find CPU upgrade possibilities for my mobo?

Originally posted by Beatnik
    Given AMD's recent price drops, I'm wondering where I can find my CPU upgrade possibilities for my mobo, the Asus A7N8X-D (nForce2) mobo. I've got a 2600 in it right now, which I think is the bottleneck on my PC for playing games (god knows I've replaced/upgraded every other component). If I can get a decent deal on a new CPU to max out my system, I'm all for it, but I don't have the manual anymore and can't seem to easily locate a chart showing which Socket A cpus are supported by the mobo.

Any ideas?? Thanks!
    Try this

search by Motherboard, Socket A, A7N8X-Deluxe.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Thanks DB. :)
      Beatnik

Comment

Yeah that's what it's looking like. In the past year I've upgraded my video card and ram (got more of it, anyway), and reformatted my HD, but still drop fps in BF2 in some games. I don't know if it's a network issue or CPU issue, but it looks like it'll be a while before I make the 'big' upgrade.

It is ironic b/c at the time I bought the rig it looked like Socket A had the largest upgrade path for CPUs. lol
        Beatnik

Comment

Originally posted by Beatnik
          Yeah that's what it's looking like. In the past year I've upgraded my video card and ram (got more of it, anyway), and reformatted my HD, but still drop fps in BF2 in some games. I don't know if it's a network issue or CPU issue, but it looks like it'll be a while before I make the 'big' upgrade.

It is ironic b/c at the time I bought the rig it looked like Socket A had the largest upgrade path for CPUs. lol
          But in the past year, the CPU is the one thing you didn't upgrade! lol

It seems to be that CPU sockets last a few years. S939 has already been around for about three years I think. Socket A is really old so trying to cling on to that socket is difficult now that AMD has moved up 2 socket generations (S939+S754 and AM2).

- It's who you game with.

Comment

With the severe drop in chip prices I think it makes sense to think about a S939 MOBO and a new processor. I just built a new computer for my son and we went with a Asus A8n5X for around 75 bucks. nice board, easy to set up. I paired it with an a single core Athlon 64 3700+ . I chose that one because it had a large L2 cache of 1MB. His machine rocks faster than mine now.
            sigpic
            |TG-1st|Grunt
            ARMA Admin (retired)
            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

^^^^

Agree with Grunt.. Live large throw some cash around! :D

Seriously - now is a good time to do such a thing, you'll end up bottlenecked by some of the other hardware.. but you just deal with that later on.. you'll still be rockin' better than you are now.

edit: Oops.. read the whole post P8riot - If you've already upped the other hardware - you're probably won't be very bottlenecked.. not that you'll notice anyway.
              sigpic

Comment

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/07/23/am...cessor_prices/

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70
                  With the severe drop in chip prices I think it makes sense to think about a S939 MOBO and a new processor. I just built a new computer for my son and we went with a Asus A8n5X for around 75 bucks. nice board, easy to set up. I paired it with an a single core Athlon 64 3700+ . I chose that one because it had a large L2 cache of 1MB. His machine rocks faster than mine now.
                  I think moving up to AM2 would be a better choice. You get the DDR2 memory that will be cost less as DDR1 is phased out. Sticking with S939 would limit the upgrade path with the processors and memory that you can pick.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X