Nvidia GeForce 7950 GX2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nvidia GeForce 7950 GX2

So I got my latest copy of PC gamer in the mail yesterday and to my surprise I see an article about the newest Nvidia video card. According to the article, The card has two GPU's and practically doubles the framerates of a 7800 512mb card for F.E.A.R. at full settings. On top of the framerate boost, it is still SLI capable (four GPU's?) and runs for a relatively cheaper price of $600 (I say relatively cheap because if you run SLI for getting the benefit of two good GPU's you'd probably spend somewhere in the neighborhood of $350 to $500 each on separate cards). I haven't had time to read more than what I did in the article yesterday so today I'm going to track down some info. In the meantime, does anyone have any arguements why I shouldn't buy it, (other than its not out yet)? Anyone as excited about this card as I am?

I knew it was just a matter of time before they were going to release two GPU's on one video card, it just surprised me how fast Nvidia was in production and marketing this new card since they just released their 7900 card. I currently own a 7800 GTX and was contemplating buying another card for SLI purposes, but it costs another $400-$600 for a new card.

Re: Nvidia GeForce 7950 GX2

My only concern would be to make sure it's DirectX 10 compatible...if you're gonna pay that much for a card it had better last...I know very little about the card so I'm curious. It sounds like it screams though...

Also, I would imagine it's the last Nvidia card before the 8xxx series begins...so you might want to think about that as well.

Chappie

Comment

Nvidia's website confirms the card doesn't support DirectX 10. In the few articles I read, most of them are still support the card, since it is Windows Vista ready and when DirectX 10 does come out vista will revert applications to DirectX9 if you don't have the hardware to support DirectX10. Plus they're quick to point out that it's debatable as to when Vista and DirectX 10 will come out. It'll probably be another couple of years by for most of the bugs/stability issues are worked out for Vista and DirectX10. By that time, I'd probably want to buy another card anyway. But, I think I'm biased because at this point I'm trying to see all the things positive about this card and I'm mentally trying to justify dropping half a grand on another piece of hardware that I probably shouldn't buy.

Comment

LOL,

You sound like me....except there's no way in Heck I could get away with buying a video card for that price...my wife would kill me and then make me return it straight away!!!

Chappie

Comment

I'm try to figure out how to hide our credit card statement from my wife for that very reason lol.

Comment

I say wait for the G80 and call it a Christmas present. xTYBALTx has a 7950 GX2 and he loves it. If you get two of them you'll have Quad SLI.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Yep yep, it's a very quick card. Make sure your motherboard supports it though. Most modern mobos do, but you should check first. You'll likely have to update your BIOS. Those issues aside, you shouldn't have any problems with it.

As troublesome says though, it may be best to wait for the G80/R600.
              A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Anybody that is upgrading to Conroe and considering this card should check for compatibility. I don't think the Asus boards support the GX2 with the GPU's in SLI.

I don't think it's really worth getting this unless you want to splurge on a single PCI-e slot SLI solution or want to go for quad GPU's. Still, DX10 is coming around the corner. I'm deciding on a cheaper single card until switching to DX10 next year. It seems silly to wait for DX10 cards if you need to upgrade now or even in a couple of months. There won't be many DX10 games when it comes out and it'll take a while for everybody to catch up with the DX10 hardware. For the quad GPU solution, I don't even think it's worth it. Only some games support it and the gains aren't worth the 4 GPU's.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx
                  .... As troublesome says though, it may be best to wait for the G80/R600.
                  I haven't heard of the G80/R600. Sounds like a serious overhaul to support this card though. Any good links that describe these cards?

Comment

It's really not much of a process to get it working. The only extra step required, the only thing you have to do 'special' for this card, is update your BIOS - assuming you have a compatible motherboard.

This link shows all compatible motherboards. What are you current specs?

Oh, and you may want to take a gander at [H]'s review. And AnandTech's review for variety.
                    A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalRoach
                      I haven't heard of the G80/R600. Sounds like a serious overhaul to support this card though. Any good links that describe these cards?
                      I believe those are Nvidia's and ATi's DirectX 10 chips.

Here's some interviews with industry folks talking about DirectX 10.

Microsoft:
                      http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1982032,00.asp

ATI
                      http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1985149,00.asp

Nvidia
                      http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1987258,00.asp

Game Developers
                      http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1989814,00.asp

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx
                        It's really not much of a process to get it working. The only extra step required, the only thing you have to do 'special' for this card, is update your BIOS - assuming you have a compatible motherboard.

This link shows all compatible motherboards. What are you current specs?

Oh, and you may want to take a gander at [H]'s review. And AnandTech's review for variety.
                        Thanks again Tybalt- I meant to ask you what kind of card you had prior to upgrading to the 7950. I currently have a 7800 gtx and was considering going SLI, but I'm considering the 7950 instead. I double checked w/ the motherboard compatibility and mine is up and up (MSI Neo4 Platnuim).

Comment

Are you running on a nice high resolution monitor where you actually need this extra power? I mean a 7800 GTX is a NICE card. I can't imagine your having issues with whatever game your throwing at it right now. I would wait for DX10 cards...
                          |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Problem is my ego...Clawhammer is running SLI w/ 2 7800 GT cards. Can't have your little brother out do you can you? lol. I've seen my brother's computer run F.E.A.R and BF2 and the difference is apparent. No subtle verticle lines registering as I turn side to side with high settings on. Smooth as silk. You're probably right though, I should wait. Buying another card would set me back a bit, but I just got a promotion and I'm itching to get something to celebrate, either a PSP or new Card.

Edit* correct me if I'm wrong, won't you need a new motherboard + a new card for to run any DX10 games? I'm hoping by the time it does come out I'd be in a position to upgrade anyway. BTW, if I do get the 7950 card would anyone be interested in buying my 7800 GTX (BFG)? I'll post in the for Buy/Sell/Trade forum if I decide to.

Comment

I got a little upgrade happy back in the spring and went from a 6800GT -> X1900XT -> 7950GX2 over the course of five weeks. I can give some pretty decent impressions of the only two games I really play.

GRAW: Unplayable with the 6800GT. Or, at least, that's the impression I got in the fifteen seconds I was in game with that card. Santa runs GRAW with a 9800 (or is it a 6600GT? I forget) and seems to do just fine. Anywho, I got the X1900XT and it ran GRAW very well, 32 player maps, all settings on max - at 1280x1024. When I got my widescreen 1680x1050 monitor, the X1900XT was cutting into the mid twenties a lot more than I liked. Once I read the [H] 7950GX2 review, I was hooked (7950GX2 ~=~ X1900XT Crossfire at higher resolutions in GRAW), and sold my X1900XT right quick. The 7950GX2 lived up to the hype and delivered the frames.

BF2: Played very well with the 6800GT with most settings on medium or off. With the X1900XT, I kept some settings down - but I know now that I may not have had to. With the 7950GX2, I run everything at max and do just fine. I don't notice a major performance difference with the settings turned down. BF2, by the way, looks gorgeous with the settings maxed out. The HQAF on the X1900XT (not available on nVidia cards) is a very nice feature to have in BF2.

You can get an X1900XT for $355 (Sapphire, retail package) vs. $580 for the 7950GX2 (eVGA, retail package). Did I get the extra performance for my dollar out of GRAW? Definitely. Did I get it out of BF2? Probably not. There's no question that the 7950GX2 is significantly faster, and if future games are more like GRAW in terms of how these two cards battle out, that will increase the usefulness of the 7950GX2.

What resolution will you be using?

Oh, and insofar as I am aware, you will not need a new motherboard to run DX10 games. In fact, all DX10 games will be backwards compatible to DX9 cards - if I recall correctly.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X