Computer is heating up my room.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer is heating up my room.

This is increbily stupid... but my custom built computer is making my room an oven. I kinda went for fan overkill when I first built it (2x 80mm+CPU and video card cooler), but still it is putting out tons of heat making my room hot enough that you can feel it when you walk in. What I need is a cheap way to make it produce less heat. Here's the kicker, it's not overclocked! I can't do water cooling because of the exspense and risk it has.

Specs:
    Intel Prescott 2.8ghz LGA 775 w/ht
    1gb pc3200 XMS RAM
    X850 xt pe
    unknown Seagate 80gb HDD
    Aftermarket thermaltake fan (not any better than stock, but the stock cooler broke so i replaced it)
    x-connect 500w power supply.
    Nameless case with plenty of ventilation and 3 80mm fan slots (I can't fit the 3rd one in b/c of the way the PSU fits in).

Until then my room is offically as hot as a rain forest.
    The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

I
    #83 of 213 things you cannot do in the army.
    83. Must not start any SITREP (Situation Report) with "I recently had an experience I just had to write you about...."

Re: Computer is heating up my room.

My PC office is the same way, i even have the side panel and a box fan blowing into mine. I usta have 2 CRT 19" monitors going but that go way to hot. When i was in school i would cook my morning poptarts on the backs of my monitors, leave them in the wrapper and MMMMM done in 15 minutes warm and goooy.

I have no idea how to help with the heating issue. I hope someone can help
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

The problem is this (based on my observations/crackpot understanding of thermodynamics ;) )... the computer is going to generate heat no matter what. All the cooling you added doesn't change the air temp. It just moves the hot air away from the heat source... all out of the case, and into your room. You can't make the machine generate less heat. It's simply a byproduct of all the power coursing through it. The only thing you can do is move the hot air out of the case so it has cooler air breathing into it and keeping it alive. But that hot air has to go someplace, and that place is the room the machine is in. Ergo, ambient room temps rise as you're experiencing.

Water cooling won't really change this, as the liquid radiator still has to have air heat exchange (passive or w/ a fan) to keep circulating coolant back to the heat source (CPU, GPU, northbridge, etc). Still going to vent hot air into your environment.

The only way to keep hot air from building up in your room is to vent it outside. Think of your room as a giant computer case. Blow the hot air out a window (obviously placing the computer's exhaust vents to blow toward the window) and have a fan or natural breeze blowing cooler air into your room from another door or window. That circulation will have a great impact on your comfort.

If your room is already buttoned up tight to run AC... well... the above solution is enormously wasteful (if not conterproductive depending on outside temps). You could rig up an air hose from the comp vent to a window and block off the extra open window space. Might need stronger fans (or an extra fan in the hose) to ensure good flow. You also want to be sure you have sufficient intake for the case to keep it breathing in cool air and help circulation.

It can all turn into a big production depending on how much change you want.
      Last edited by Mirfee; 07-30-2006, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mirfee
        The problem is this (based on my observations/crackpot understanding of thermodynamics ;) )... the computer is going to generate heat no matter what. All the cooling you added doesn't change the air temp. It just moves the hot air away from the heat source... all out of the case, and into your room.
        Yep. If your room is getting too hot, and your PC is running nice and cool, you might consider turning off one of the fans to keep some of the heat inside your computer case. I suppose your computer temps will dictate whether or not that's a good idea, though...
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Its not a very cheap idea, but you could get a small window air conditioner just about anywhere for under 300$. even if your house has central air it would reduce the temp pretty quick.

downside is the extra cooling costs and lack of a window

and im probly wrong but dont window a/c's reduce humidity?

Comment

You could try to produce a little less heat by underclocking your CPU. By using something like:

http://cpu.rightmark.org/products/rmclock.shtml

You could use "Performance on Demand" and underclock/undervolt your CPU and the program will automatically raise the speed/voltage when you need more speed. This will cause the CPU to generate less heat and it should also cause your power supply to generate less heat. Another benefit is that your computer will generate less noise since fans that are thermally controlled won't spin as fast when the computer is cooler.

Comment

A cheap window AC unit (and yes, all AC's dehumidify) is an outlay of funds on par with a good water cooling system. Add to that the extra energy usage/$$$ just to run it and you're talking a more wasteful and expensive solution.

Start with getting the hot air from the computer out of the room. Right now it's a space heater that you can't turn off. Good in the winter, not so good in the summer. ;) (I actually kept my heat vent completely closed in the winter as my 21" CRT monitor kept ambient temps in my room on par with the heated temps throughout the rest of the apartment. Now that I've got 2 19" LCD's that won't be the concern, but my new fast rig makes up plenty of heat on its own now... which I vent right out a window and keep cool air circulating in elsewhere).

Underclocking is good for low power situations, but for gaming you can expect the temps to shoot right back up again as demand for CPU cycles climb up to hotter levels again. Unless you can cap it at a max, but then you're chopping your CPU off at the knees (or ankles, or neck, wherever) and losing all the advantages of having a fast gaming rig.

Comment

I thought computers always ran hot. I don't think they are going to run cold. :) My central air A/C keeps mine cool though.
                XBOX GT: STEALTH C4T

Comment

I actually use the Performance on Demand software and I think it is great. Yes it's true that the temps shoot back up when I game, but most of the time I'm not gaming. In which case, all my other programs, such as web browsers, text editors, email etc don't need full CPU power. So unless you're gaming alot, you can expect some cooling by using Performance on Demand software. For my machine, when it's running at it's lowest speed, which is most of the time, the case fans blow out room temperature air and the power supply blows out slightly warm air. It doesn't cause any inconvience when it comes to games, when I start a game or program that needs more CPU power, the program detects the higher load and within a fraction of a second kicks the CPU speed back up to normal.

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                    Yep. If your room is getting too hot, and your PC is running nice and cool, you might consider turning off one of the fans to keep some of the heat inside your computer case. I suppose your computer temps will dictate whether or not that's a good idea, though...
                    What if I made both fans intake fans? Or would this simply add to the heat by bringing in cool air and shooting it out at a higher temp. I may just bring the number of fans down to that of a normal computer (CPU, PSU and rear output fan).
                    The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

I
                    83. Must not start any SITREP (Situation Report) with "I recently had an experience I just had to write you about...."

Comment

Originally posted by IRS_Agent
                      What if I made both fans intake fans? Or would this simply add to the heat by bringing in cool air and shooting it out at a higher temp. I may just bring the number of fans down to that of a normal computer (CPU, PSU and rear output fan).
                      Well, your case can only hold a fixed amount of air. Whether your fans are sucking or blowing, the heat is going to be distributed outside of your case. That's why you have them there.

And eliminating a fan or two is not going to decrease the overall heat, just keep it localized.
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Localized works for me! :)

I

Comment

Very interesting to hear, Fish. I just might look into that myself.

Just make sure you monitor those internal temps, IRS, especially CPU and GPU when under load. If they're running near or up to the max rated temps (based on their model specs) you need to get them breathing again - ie, blowing the hot out of the case. If the hot is staying inside, it's going to jack your component temps up too, risking frying something that costs more to replace than working out a better cooling option now.

Comment

There's no way you can make this heat "disappear". As Mirfee stated quite well, the heat is generated by the electricity running through your PC. It's got to go somewhere. Cooling systems (be it in a PC, or AC in a house) work by MOVING the heat from one point to another. You can add more fans or less fans, a watercooling system or a better aircooling system, but the end result is you'll just change the rate at which you move hot air from inside your case to the outside of your case. If you want to cool your room, you need to move that heat OUT of your room.
                            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                              This is incorrect. The generated heat comes out regardless of your cooling system. The only answer is to reduce the amount of heat produced inside the machine or use another method to remove the heat from the room.

Consider the generation of heat like the generation of water inside the machine. If you lower the rate at which you remove that water with a pump, the case will fill up and eventually the same amount of water will find its way into the surrounding room. The only difference is how much water is in the case.

Edit: Oops... I should have read all of the posts. ;)
                              Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X