Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help opening ports for a server.

Hi guys,

Forgive my ignorance on this issue.....I need to open some ports on my second machine that will enable me to run a GTL dedicated server on my cable connection. I have both machines connected to the internet through a Belkin 4 port router F5D5231-4. The machine that will be hosting is running XP Pro.

I've read a Microsoft article on how to open ports but people could not join my server. So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong...

thanks for any help!!!

Chappie

Re: Need help opening ports for a server.

You need to set up the router to forward the necessary ports to your computer, http://portforward.com/ should tell you how to do it.
    |TG| Lorian
    Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

thanks Lorian,

I'll give that a shot!

Chappie

Comment

You may also need to open the required ports in Windows Firewall if setting up the port forwarding doesn't work. The firewall help file should explain it.
        Retired 6th DB

Comment

The XP firewall 'should' automatically recognize a port usage attempt the first time you run an app accessing the internet. A dialog box would open alerting you to the attempted access, and asking whether or not to give permission, which I imagine has already occured. Considering you can play online as a client, it's obvious that you've at least set permission for this. If it was automatic then, it was probably automatic when you started the server the first time... which I imagine you granted permission to. Considering that I could see your server in the GTL MP lobby, I expect that you're talking through XP successfully. So this leaves only the router firewall.

The issue of opening those ports is dependant on the software interface for your particular model. But rest assured, most standard routers follow the same principles, so whatever you can find as a guide should point you in the right direction.

I'd be happy to hop on TS tonight and troubleshoot if the setup doesn't go right on your own. At the very least, I'd be happy to try connecting to your server to test it.

My only fee is that I get to race for a bit. :row__642:

Comment

Hey Hey!!

Just hosted a 6 car race...a few guys reported a bit of lag..but not bad..
            I had to turn the windows firewall off for people to join...

Not sure why I had to do that though...I'll keep investigating!!

Mirfee, maybe tonight we can try it out???

I'll check back later.

thanks,
            Chappie

Comment

Sure thing. Sounds like we might have to configure the XP firewall manually. No biggie. Good to hear you can get it to work though.

I can shoot for around the (recently) usual time of 930-10 ET. Work for you?

Comment

Hey Mirfee,

yea, that should be good...I'll keep messing around with it until then...and I'll be sure to put the GTR2 cars on the server too...and WG!!

Chappie

Comment

:icon14:

Comment

Just a quick update...I was able to host a dedicated GTL server last night...Everything went well...:)

Thanks to Lorian, Wimp, and Mirfee!!!

Chappie

Comment

Glad to hear it man!
                      Retired 6th DB

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...