Live Thread Review

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live Thread Review

I noticed recently that, when replying to a thread in the forums, I had to take my eye one or two screens down the page in order to review the recent posts in the thread, and that other folks often responded to threads between the time that I began and posted my reply, causing my comments to sometimes be "behind" before I ever posted them. Also, I found it cumbersome that the forums only make it really easy for me to quote one person per reply.

These things remind me that I'm using a message board to communicate, as they depart from what I'd experience if I were talking with folks face to face. I've modified the reply composition page for myself by authoring a userscript for use in the Greasemonkey Firefox extension. Anyone may use it if he likes. I've called it, simply, Live Thread Review.

The userscript modifies, rather significantly, the page you see when you reply to a thread. In short, it moves a bit to the left the composition textfield, creating room on the right for the most noticeable addition: an automatically refreshing display of the thread's most recent replies. If someone replies to the thread while I'm composing my reply, I can easily see that and immediately include his comments in the composition I'm still creating. I'm reviewing the thread, live, while I reply to it.

By clicking on the name of the author, his name is inserted into my reply at the cursor location. By clicking on the author's comments, he is quoted in my reply, again at the cursor location.

livethreadreview.user.js

By design, this userscript causes no posts in the forums to be marked as read. So, yes, you'll have to later read (in New Posts, or whatever) posts which happen while you're composing your reply. I built it that way on purpose, as the last thing I want is for folks to overlook posts.

If you have any questions about how to install or use this, please do use Google to educate yourself minimally about Greasemonkey before asking questions.

Many thanks to Pokerface, who spent quite some time helping me make this even usable. If you do use this, please do provide feedback in this thread. I anticipate there's much room for improvement here. If you encounter a bug, screenshots would help me a lot with this one.
    Last edited by Wyzcrak; 08-02-2006, 08:30 PM.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: Live Thread Review

<face_disbelief>

WOW!!! That is GREAT Wyzcrak, nice job!!!!!

Comment

Wow, this is awesome. This will revolutionize the sandbox. :D A+ Wyz! A+
      ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
      No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
        an automatically refreshing display of the thread's most common replies
        I thought I understood this fully, but I'm confused by "most common".
        Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

i think "most common" == "most recent"

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix
            i think "most common" == "most recent"
            Correct. I've corrected the original post.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Ah got it. I should have figured that one out. I'm in the habit of opening a second copy of the thread in another tab before I submit a message if I have taken a long time writing mine. This does sound interesting though.
              Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Shiny!
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Indeed. Nice work yet again!
                  Beatnik

Comment

OK this is a seriously cool script, probably my favorite yet. :)
                    Beatnik

Comment

This script has been updated to work in the latest forum template. See first post for download.

Comment

Sweet. I actually missed this one today when I had to leave my PC for a few hours while in the middle of composing a post.

Thanks!
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Lovely. Thanks again for the update! +reppage
                          Beatnik

Comment

<bump> for a must have. It's a crying shame all you IE users aren't taking advantage of this!

Comment

Wow! This is a great script, thanks Wyzcrak.

Glad you bumped this...

- -

"..good sportsmanship shouldn't be sacrificed in the name of teamwork. " --WhiskeySix

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X