New Uber System for Sassy - LOOK OUT!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Uber System for Sassy - LOOK OUT!

Hey fellas... just a warning (okay I'm kind of bragging too, but mostly just looking for feedback) that I'm spec'ing out a new system that I'll get either this month or next. So look at what I've got so far and tell me what you think, ok? Also, maybe toss in a frame rate prediction, just so I can think about it while I'm sitting in my meetings today and drool. I currently get 15 on a good day. :)

Video Card GeForce 7950 GX2 1GB

Mother Board GA-M51GM-S2G

Memory 2 GB DDR2 PC2-6400

Processor Athlon 64 X2 4600+ AM2

Hard Drive (2x) WD 74GB 10000rpm Raid 0

Power Supply ThermalTake 750w

Case ThermalTake Black Armor

DVD-Burner Samsung Light-Scribe DVD burner

DVD-ROM Sony 16x DVD

Keyboard Luminated

Mouse mx1000

Monitor 19" LCD w/4 USB ports

Suggestions? Did I leave anything out?
    [age-c1][tog-c1][tg-c1][ma-c2][medic]
    [command][at][conduct][tpf-c1]

Re: New Uber System for Sassy - LOOK OUT!

"Video Card GeForce 7950 GX2 1GB"

You're gonna be getting 100fps with that beast!

I think so anyway, either way that is a kick ass graphics card.
    |TG| Lorian
    Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

Just one comment from me. I have a 10k WD, and when I was researching it, I was reading that you will not notice much improvement from it in a RAID configuration -- it's already extremely fast.

I would recomment a separate, larger HDD for games, etc, while leaving the Raptor for your windows/system drive. Only other thing I would consider is 4GB, but 2 will serve you for at least another year.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

All indications are that even the entry level Intel Conroe chips, the E6300 and E6400, are competitive with an Athlon64 X2 4600+. For the current price of that chip you can get the mid-level Intel chip, the E6600, which looks to be much much better.

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/sho...spx?i=2802&p=9

The one problem is that Conroe ready motherboards are hard to find and so are the chips right now; but you said next month right? I'm also going to build a computer in the near future - I think I'm going with Intel.

And, you must be rich! That's a >$500 graphics card. It I were you, I'd get a cheaper one and save that extra money for when you upgrade to a Directx 10 card next year or spend it on a larger monitor. Even that >$500 card isn't Directx 10 ready. A Geforce 7900GT is fine and it'll cost you 3 bills less.

Comment

Raid 0 also effectively doubles the chance of a failure (the failure rate). I used to run raid 0 for years, but during my last format I went to Raid 1 instead. The drives are still fast, but now I don't have to worry about losing my system disk.

And Sordavie is right, the conroe chip kicks ass. I get to buy them under employee purchase :D

Comment

Buy one for me too, JMJ. :) I'll be your best friend.

Comment

Yea, when it comes down to it, RAID wasn't meant for the home/gaming PC.

So does this mean you'll actually be able to kill someone now, Sassy? Oh, snap! :P
              [squadl]
              "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan
                Yea, when it comes down to it, RAID wasn't meant for the home/gaming PC.

So does this mean you'll actually be able to kill someone now, Sassy? Oh, snap! :P
                No it means she won't CTD 3 to 4 time per game, not able to shoot anything down is, umm, a user side issue...lol!

Joking aside, this is a very nice set up and it ain't cheap. How much is your budget?
                Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

I always recommend against RAID on home systems. The benefits just don't apply to most home uses, and the costs might not seem like much, but wait until one of those buggers fails. Do get 2 drives, but use one of them for static stuff and the other for all of your games/downloads/photos/etc. Back up important stuff from one drive to the other and you are all set unless lightning strikes.

2 Gig is good.

And Sordavie's comments on processor and gfx card sound like great advice.
                  Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Yeah, that video card on that monitor is a waste. You can only run 1280x1024 max resolution on a 19" LCD (usually). You can get away with a much cheaper card and still set most options to high. If you are going to get a card like that, get a 20" LCD or even a 24" LCD.

Comment

OH that reminds me. Do not get an LCD with VGA only. Use DVI.
                      Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Onboard sound sucks get a soudcard. Creative X-FI.
                        Here is a good lcd monitor :)
                        http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...=19&oc=2007FPW.
                        # Display sharp and brilliant images with 1680x1050 Pixels resolution
                        # Wide viewing angle of 178º — horizontal and vertical
                        # 800:1 contrast ratio and 16 millisecond typical response time for distortion-free, sharp images
                        # 4 USB 2.0 high speed ports for connecting peripheral devices
                        # Ideal for multi-tasker, high end graphic designer, content creation user, financial sector and gamers

I have run raid 0 plenty of times on many builds and never had any problems. Still you wont see any noticeable performance increase in games.
                        I agee with Soradive on his statements for this thread so far.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

woot woot for Sassy !!
                          sigpic
                          |TG-1st|Grunt
                          ARMA Admin (retired)
                          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Wow... great feedback so far! I will definitely pass it on to hubby. (He is actually designing it.. I don't even know what you all are talking about. :) )

I will for sure do some thinking about the graphics card if you think it would be better to wait on the Direct10 thing (whatever that is). Either that or buy a bigger monitor. :)

Rich? Nope, but I don't have kids yet and that helps a bunch. :) It's just that I got a huge raise since moving to Houston to teach, and just found out I might get paid from my last school for August AND from my new school. Even if I don't, I'm still getting the stuff. Budget is about 2500.

Thanks for your input, guys-who-are-smarter-than-The-Sassy. Anything else I should know?

Kisses!
                            Sassy
                            [age-c1][tog-c1][tg-c1][ma-c2][medic]
                            [command][at][conduct][tpf-c1]

Comment

$2500 will buy you a great computer. Just be weary of overpaying for the newest gadgets or, rather, paying for the newness of them.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X