boot up issue on new build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boot up issue on new build

I recently built an AMD pc for a friend and the last few times he's tried to boot up it sits at "Windows XP" an inordinate amount of time before finally getting to the desktop. The loading bar will also stop for a long time. Here are the specs:

AMD 64 3800+ Venice
    Asus A8N-E
    Corsair XMS 3200 2GB (1GBX2) CL3
    Seagate 160GB SATAII HD
    EVGA GeForce 7600GT KO
    Antec Sonata II w/ 450W psu

Anything come to mind as to what may be the cause of this??? He's being nice about it but I know he's frustrated. It was only my second build and he put his trust in me.

Once it boots up it's fine for the most part. Haven't tried any heavy duty games on it yet but might load BF2 soon.

Thanks!

Re: boot up issue on new build

Did it initially boot fine and suddenly start booting slow?
    Retired 6th DB

Comment

Fresh build fresh install I'd be inclined to blame the XP install, in which case I'd try reinstalling.

Hardware wise, fritzy HDD or Ram stick maybe, but I consider that highly unlikely.

My money is on Spyware-related problem.
      a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
      Celibacy is not Hereditary.
      Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
      Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
      Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Originally posted by Wimpinator
        Did it initially boot fine and suddenly start booting slow?
        Yes. It was fine the first couple of weeks. Then the last few boot ups this started. Could having two firewalls on contribute to the problem??? (I wouldn't think so but I'm a rookie at this).

I scanned for spyware and viruses Spyder. Nothing came up. Perhaps I'll try reinstalling XP unless Wimp is going somewhere with that question.

Comment

Hey Rammajamma, have you tried booting it in Safe Mode? If so does it still take a long time to boot in safe mode? If so I would think it's the XP install. If it does hang up in safe mode see if you can see the file it is hanging up on, but if it worked for a while before this started then I don't know. Try the last known good configuration when booting in safe mode. What did you use to scan for viruses?
          sigpic

Comment

Check out Bootvis.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/S.../BootVis.shtml
            |TG-33rd|Calvin

Comment

Originally posted by Drizzid
              Hey Rammajamma, have you tried booting it in Safe Mode? If so does it still take a long time to boot in safe mode? If so I would think it's the XP install. If it does hang up in safe mode see if you can see the file it is hanging up on, but if it worked for a while before this started then I don't know. Try the last known good configuration when booting in safe mode. What did you use to scan for viruses?
              Thank you Drizzid. I have a dumb question....how do you get it to boot in safe mode??? I've had to do this after it was shut down improperly but not sure how I do it on my own. In regard to virus scan it has Norton and Windows Defender is running also.

I'll look into that link calvin. Thanks.

Comment

I think you hit F8 while the system is booting up to get into Safe Mode
                |TG-33rd|Calvin

Comment

I am also inclined to say spyware. Press Ctl+Alt+delete and hit the task manager once the machine boots and see what processes and applications are running. Do a web search for anything that looks suspicous. While you are in there take a look at processor and ram usage to make sure that it is pretty low. CPU usage shouldn't be more than a few percent unless you are running some CPU intensive apps.
                  Retired 6th DB

Comment

Originally posted by calvin
                    I think you hit F8 while the system is booting up to get into Safe Mode

This is correct to get into safe mode. After you have booted and you have hit F8 it will give you about 5 or 6 options, just boot it into safe mode with networking so you can still access the internet. It takes all the unnecessary files out in the booting process. If it boots fine then I think it is a spyware/virus problem. Try using Spybot S&D
                    sigpic

Comment

I really appreciate the help guys. I'll give these ideas a try. Let's say that it does boot up fine in safe mode, spyware clean-up is successful, and the problem is still there. Could it be that the OS is the problem...and should I re-install as Spyder suggested?

Thanks again.

Comment

Ramma....please keep us posted as you troubleshoot this problem. I've run into this before and want to know what you find out and what works. Thanks

Comment

On another note, welcome to the forums Mulligunz. Check out the SOP's and rules on the homepage for whatever game is your vice and enjoy yourself.
                          Retired 6th DB

Comment

Seeing as this is your first post, Welcome to TG Mulligunz! Please read the Rules, Announcments and SOP's for the games you play.

Ramma, a clean reinstall would fix it, and if it didn't, it would be hardware related. Try all of the programs listed above, definatly trying the safe mode boot.

edit: you beat me to it ;)

Comment

Have any new devices been added since the problem started? New USB devices or a modem or BIOS setting? XP may be trying to detect the a device and waiting a long time before moving on.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X