Missing hard drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing hard drive

I've got my main hard drive partioned for ubuntu and win 2000. I've also got a second hard drive thats FAT32. Since reformatting my win 2000 partition an hour ago, my second drive has disappeared. The BIOS is detecting it correctly at start up, and ubuntu can read it, but there's no indication of it existing in windows.

Any suggestions?
    BFCL TF2 league admin

Re: Missing hard drive

What type of HDs sata, ide? What is the drive letter for each HD From each OS's perspective? From windows 2000 can you see the second (fat32) HD in the device manager or in the MMC Computer Management > Disk Management? If you see it in the later try changing the drive letter. Whats on the Secnond HD? Anything important?
    Run CMD
    type cd\
    chkdsk (your second Drive letter): /f
    Last edited by troublesome4u; 08-12-2006, 03:36 AM.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Originally posted by troublesome4u View Post
      What type of HDs sata, ide? What is the drive letter for each HD From each OS's perspective? From windows 2000 can you see the second (fat32) HD in the device manager or in the MMC Computer Management > Disk Management? If you see it in the later try changing the drive letter. Whats on the Secnond HD? Anything important?
      Run CMD
      type cd\
      chkdsk (your second Drive letter): /f
      It's an IDE drive. It's got all my personal files on it, so it's stuff I need. There's too much to simply copy the lot over to my linux partition, and I'd need a lot of CD's to back up 25GB.

My main hard drive has 4 partitions :

C: (NTFS)
      E: (FAT32)
      swp
      Ubuntu

And my second (missing) drive has 1 partition. I had D: showing in my computer, but thought this was my linux partion, as it was showing before the reinstall. It turns out that D: is my "missing" drive, but it shows as having nothing on it. I'm unable to browse it, and I'm unable to change permissions.
      BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Your situation is a little confusing.
        Make sure you have administravtive rights (log on as administrator)
        So nothing I said above worked? Try it with admin rights.

Maybe your MBR or EMBR is incorect.
        Master boot record - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
        Extended Master Boot Record - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On a side note windows always wants to be the C: from it perspective. Unubutu ( I never used it) may see the windows partition as G:.
        For instance I have on disk 0: Partition 1: Win XP corprate. Partition 2: Win XP corprate. Partition 3: Win Server 2003 corprate. They all see themselves as C: from there own perspective. Making the others D: and G:. So maybe the drive paths got mixed up. What did you do to make the partitions?

Oh yeah, did you remove a HD at anytime? Are the jumpers set correctly at Master, Slave or Auto select.
        4 Dual layer dvds for backup is 25GB

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

When I right clicked on the problem drive, and selected properties, there were no permissions etc. I allowed myself to be put off by the error message that appeared. This time, I ignored it, and managed to change the ownership of the entire drive. I can now access my files again.

Thanks for the help attempt!
          BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...