Complile linux source code?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complile linux source code?

I've got a device driver that I need to install, but there's zero documentation for linux, just the drivers. How do I install the device?
    BFCL TF2 league admin

Re: Complile linux source code?

To quote my response from your other thread, "You sure it doesn't work anyway? A lot of obscure hardware works with Linux out of the box."
    |TG| Lorian
    Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Lorian View Post
      To quote my response from your other thread, "You sure it doesn't work anyway? A lot of obscure hardware works with Linux out of the box."
      None of my apps can find the internet, so I'd suggest it's not working. There was no activity to suggest hardware detection when I plugged the device in, nor the following time I started linux.
      BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

What is the device?

There's two things, you may need to just re-compile the kernel with support for the device and/or if you're rigged for loadable modules you may just need to insmod the driver.
        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Go to the command line and type ifconfig, what shows up?
          |TG| Lorian

Comment

Originally posted by Lorian View Post
            Go to the command line and type ifconfig, what shows up?
            etho1 and lo, with tech details on both.

It's a wifi adapter I'm trying to install.
            BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Next to etho1 what does it say next to inet addr:...

Mine says "inet addr:192.168.1.100 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0" for example.
              |TG| Lorian

Comment

Originally posted by Root View Post
                etho1 and lo, with tech details on both.

It's a wifi adapter I'm trying to install.
                The model of wifi adapter and perhaps a link to the manuf's webpage would really help people help you. Without seeing exactly what you are given, people are just left with guessing at what you need to do.
                Battlefield Admin() ()
                [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                | for | |

Comment

Originally posted by perry View Post
                  Without seeing exactly what you are given, people are just left with guessing at what you need to do.
                  I have a bunch of C files. I need to compile them as far as I can tell, in order to make the device work.
                  BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

I have a bunch of C files. I need to compile them as far as I can tell, in order to make the device work.
                    What drivers are you compiling? If you tell us what you're compiling and what wireless card you're using, somebody may have already used them and can link you to existing instructions or note any problems with the drivers.

For the most part, I'm surprised there isn't any documentation on how to compile it. It's one of the things I hate about linux. There should be a make file you can run somewhere. It's usually make install or something.

Are you using ndiswrapper? I've used it before and it supports a variety of wireless cards and adapters. It also has good documentation with it. I guess you're not since the drivers you have don't have docs.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Let me see if I understand this correctly.

I know for a fact, that if I load a C file into a DOS C compiler, I can compile the code by going to the correct drop-down menu, and clicking on compile.

What you guys are telling me, is that in linux, to compile C code, the answer could be beujolais, it could be avacado, or it could be an entire treatise on african cooking, depending on what the device is?????

Surely there has to be an easier way to compile C code under linux?
                      BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Let me see if I understand this correctly.

I know for a fact, that if I load a C file into a DOS C compiler, I can compile the code by going to the correct drop-down menu, and clicking on compile.

What you guys are telling me, is that in linux, to compile C code, the answer could be beujolais, it could be avacado, or it could be an entire treatise on african cooking, depending on what the device is?????

Surely there has to be an easier way to compile C code under linux?
                        No, the point is that someone may already know the drivers you're trying to use and can point out any peculiarities or obscure documentation on it or better drivers that have documentation. I recommend ndiswrapper (wraps Windows drivers) but since you don't mention the device name I don't know if ndiswrapper is a better alternative.

I think the point of this thread is to help you solve the wireless device problem. You only look at one solution (how to compile source code) instead of alternative solutions. Unless, you really just want to know how to compile C code in linux and want to solve the wireless device problem yourself.

Now, what drivers are you using? Maybe someone can download them too and figure out where the make file is you have to run to start the compiling process. From my linux experience, every driver I've compiled has been like this. There's a make file and it kick starts the process.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

gcc is the C++ compiler.

tar jxvf file.tar.bz2 ; cd file ; make ; make install ; modprobe module

That's the best instructions I can give you without knowing what exactly you are working with.

Why make this so hard?
                          Battlefield Admin() ()
                          [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                          [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                          | for | |

Comment

If there is an INSTALL file read it, if not, run ./configure if there is a configure file, then make, then sudo make install
                            |TG| Lorian

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...