Need advice with SATA drives fro new rig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice with SATA drives fro new rig

I'm building my girlfriend her first gaming rig. C2D, GA-965P-DS3, Corsair XMS2-6400, win2000.
    I have never used sata drives. I have read that some people are having problems with them getting corrupted after a couple of weeks. I also read that they have to installed a with a floppy before windows. I don't have a floppy for this new build. Is there any way to get around having to use one? I don't want to get sent to the dog house. thanx

Re: Need advice with SATA drives fro new rig

From what ive read and done, you HAVE to install them before the windows because windows doesnt have them already loaded. I could be wrong though
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

I installed mine with no problem as a second drive. Came with an installation disk. Have not had a problem at all.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

HUH? Umm.. no.. no problems.. SATA is handled by the BIOS - plug 'em in, turn them on.. all the way up to SATAII (3GB/s).. it a BIOS standard.. Windows is out of the picture.

Now if you mean SATA RAID, then yes, it can be a little tricky with directions depending on the manufacturer - and in one case there are problems with Marvell RAID interfaces.. but they aren't very common anymore.. I think ASUS put them on ONE MB for a little awhile.. but it is gone now.

That help?

That comes from building 20 or 30 rigs by now.. I'm no expert but I've never had a floppy to install a SATA drive.
        sigpic

Comment

Win2000?!?!?!?

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Yeah, noticed that too. Something wrong with old fationed XP for a gaming rig?

As for SATA, it's all plug and play for regular drives now. Raid, as mentioned, is tricky. But Honestly, for single PC home use, Raid isn't worth the bother anyway.
            a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
            Celibacy is not Hereditary.
            Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
            Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
            Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Thanks for the help. I got confused with the raid. It's a single drive so there should be no problem. I'll go for raid raptor x's when I build my super rig next year with Vista. I use win2000 because it requires less resources and is less restrictive. And I'm used to it. I'll have to upgrade to Vista because of DX10. It will be a sad day to see win2000 go. snif snif

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
                I'm building my girlfriend her first gaming rig. C2D, GA-965P-DS3, Corsair XMS2-6400, win2000.
                I have never used sata drives. I have read that some people are having problems with them getting corrupted after a couple of weeks. I also read that they have to installed a with a floppy before windows. I don't have a floppy for this new build. Is there any way to get around having to use one? I don't want to get sent to the dog house. thanx
                I was one of those who had to install it with a floppy. I ended up having to buy one so I could install win xp.

Gigabye nforce 3 mobo
                AMd 64 3200
                Radeon 9800 pro
                First generation SATA Harddrive.

DON't for the love of god install your SATA as a secondary drive. It runs SOO much faster than the original harddrives.

Moving on.. My brother has my same computer:

Asus nforce mobo
                AMD 64 3400
                Radeon x800
                SATA II's Hardrives.

He had no problem installing windows the old fashion way with it.

So if you need help installing with drivers, pm me or something. I have had a lot of experience with it.

Comment

Everything was plug and play, no special drivers for setup.
                  How can I find out if I am running SATA I or II? And how can they be switched? I ran the Hitachi HD fitness utility, but couldn't find any details. Of course I am trying to squeeze out every last bit of performance out of the new rig, even if it's possibly only a placebo.

Comment

Hitachi Feature Tool (v2.01)
                    Scroll down at the link.
                    Support | Downloads

Check your Bios to see if there are options for things like 3 GB/s, NCQ.
                    See if your HD has a jummper on it. ( Some sata's have it, mine does. Take it off.)

Check your HD speeds with these programs.
                    Hd Tach 3 HdTach
                    SiSoft Sandra SiSoftware Zone

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Originally posted by troublesome4u View Post
                      Hitachi Feature Tool (v2.01)
                      Scroll down at the link.
                      Support | Downloads

Check your Bios to see if there are options for things like 3 GB/s, NCQ.
                      See if your HD has a jummper on it. ( Some sata's have it, mine does. Take it off.)

Check your HD speeds with these programs.
                      Hd Tach 3 HdTach
                      SiSoft Sandra SiSoftware Zone
                      Strong Work. It went perfect. Thanks alot.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                        But Honestly, for single PC home use, Raid isn't worth the bother anyway.
                        Correct. Mine installed fine with plug and play. When I decided to have "fun" and install RAID... nothing but problems. Stick with installing it as your main hard drive and steer clear of RAID.

()

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X