I need security. Any recommendations?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need security. Any recommendations?

I need a whole security package, up until now I haven't had any real security other than a router firewall, and I think it's time to get a package that should include:
    - A virus scanner (and remover).
    -A spyware scanner (and remover).
    - A firewall.

It has to include these things, but may include more (these are the very basics). It has to be $50 or less, or if it's VERY good have monthly payment of no more than 7 or 8 dollars. Right now I am thinking stopsign or maybe zonealarm, but I am open to any suggestions.
    The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

I
    #83 of 213 things you cannot do in the army.
    83. Must not start any SITREP (Situation Report) with "I recently had an experience I just had to write you about...."

Re: I need security. Any recommendations?

Zonealarm isn't that bad. But you should really be using a network based firewall in addition to a host based firewall if you're concerned about security.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Please dont get stop sign, its a bitch to get off your machine when you want to get rid of it. What are you gonna be useing this stuff for, just your home machine? If thats the case use these:

AVG is free
      Windows Defender is free
      I have tried to use a couple free firewalls but they dont work right or are just to easy to get around. You could use Zonealarm if you really wanted a Firewall but the windows firewall does the job just fine, which is free.
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
        Zonealarm isn't that bad. But you should really be using a network based firewall in addition to a host based firewall if you're concerned about security.
        I have a double firewall in my netgear router.

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR
        ]Please dont get stop sign, its a bitch to get off your machine when you want to get rid of it. What are you gonna be useing this stuff for, just your home machine? If thats the case use these:

AVG is free
        Windows Defender is free
        I have tried to use a couple free firewalls but they dont work right or are just to easy to get around. You could use Zonealarm if you really wanted a Firewall but the windows firewall does the job just fine, which is free.
        I am using it for a regular home comp, on a network which is partially secured by the firewall I mentioned above. It should be noted that I am not going to use this much, just every few weeks, since I don't seem to get much spyware/viruses. I will probably go with the free stuff.
        The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

I
        83. Must not start any SITREP (Situation Report) with "I recently had an experience I just had to write you about...."

Comment

Originally posted by IRS_Agent View Post
          I have a double firewall in my netgear router.
          What's a "double firewall"? I'm a security professional and I've never heard of one of those before!

Comment

I think it just means 2 firewalls. I am not a security professional, so I said the kind of firewall mentioned on the box. I'll update this in a sec after I figure out which two firewall types they mean.

Edit- SPI and NAT firewalls. WGR614 - NETGEAR.com

I

Comment

I think it just means 2 firewalls. I am not a security professional, so I said the kind of firewall mentioned on the box. I'll update this in a sec after I figure out which two firewall types they mean.

Edit- SPI and NAT firewalls.
              That's not a double firewall. NAT is Network Address Translation. Simply put, it allows you to have one externally visible IP address that ARIN recognizes and a private network inside on non-routable IP addresses.

SPI is Stateful Packet Inspection. This is a feature of the firewall that verifies the state of a packet before allowing it to pass. Traffic coming into the network claiming to be a response from an internally generated request will not be passed if the firewall can't track that back to a connection state that was created when the internal application made an outbound request.

The firewall you have qualifies as a firewall on the network layer. A host based firewall helps in terms of egress filtering and monitoring what applications are trying to send traffic out to the net so you can better monitor what your system is doing.

Comment

Tell it to netgear, false advertising??? There's a link to a netgear page which says it's a double firewall.

Are you saying I don't have a host based firewall? Because if so I might shop around for one.

I

Comment

Tell it to netgear, false advertising??? There's a link to a netgear page which says it's a double firewall.
                  Send me the URL. If they use the exact wording you're using then I would seriously question their marketing. But if they're claiming it has duals methods of helping to firewall your network through traffic identification and blocking, then I would chalk it up to improper representation of their claims on your part.

Comment

Originally posted by Netgear site
                    The router also features double firewall protection that helps shield the network from malicious intrusions with two security methods
                    About half way down the description of the router

Double Firewall Security

NETGEAR helps shield your network and admits only legitimate traffic by combining two proven standards: NAT and SPI.

farther down by the pics.
                    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                    -Vulcan

Comment

I already posted a link above, here it is WGR614 - NETGEAR.com It says "double firewall" but it does sound kind of like they are trying to tell you it only has multiple layers. I'd say it makes it sound like "double firewall," not "double firewall meaning it has multiple firewall systems." I guess it pushes it because it says both that it's a double firewall, and that it combines "two standards."

I

Comment

I already posted a link above, here it is WGR614 - NETGEAR.com It says "double firewall" but it does sound kind of like they are trying to tell you it only has multiple layers. I'd say it makes it sound like "double firewall," not "double firewall meaning it has multiple firewall systems." I guess it pushes it because it says both that it's a double firewall, and that it combines "two standards."
                        Taken out of context I can see the confusion, however when you put those words IN CONTEXT, it makes perfect sense.

They are not simply saying:
                        • Double Firewall

They are saying:
                        The router also features double firewall protection that helps shield the network from malicious intrusions with two security methods...

Comment

Yes I agree, but is double firewall really used in the correct way (you're the security pro)? I wasn't trying to call out netgear on false advertising, but I did think it was possible.

PS- The window's one trooper mentioned seems to suit me fine. I don't have many security issues, I guess, all I need is something to keep it clean, and this windows program (although a beta) seems to do just that.
                          Last edited by IRS_Agent; 08-15-2006, 05:14 PM.

I

Comment

There is a process called svchost.exe which seems to be registered as a trojan running on my computer, when I googled this process I got svchost - svchost.exe - Process Information <--------- that. The link says it's both a windows process and then notes that it is a trojan. I don't get it.

EDIT- it says at the bottom of the page that svchost.exe can be a system process or a trojan depending on where it runs from.

I

Comment

Yes I agree, but is double firewall really used in the correct way (you're the security pro)? I wasn't trying to call out netgear on false advertising, but I did think it was possible.

PS- The window's one trooper mentioned seems to suit me fine. I don't have many security issues, I guess, all I need is something to keep it clean, and this windows program (although a beta) seems to do just that.
                              The way they are using it, it's fine. No issues there. But when you pull those two words out of context, that's where the issues arise.

You've got a solid firewall, I'd just go with what Trooper suggested as they will take care of you nicely.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X