Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data encryption software suggestions needed

Hey all,

I know little about these things, but I would like a program that does something like the following:

I want to be able to encrypt a folder (and its contents) so that when it is encrypted, its not accessible (or even readable). But by typing in a PW or something, the folder is available and fully usable by my apps like Word, Media Players, music players, etc. seamlessly. I don't want to have to copy the data, or anything like that.

I imagine something like this exists. I would prefer if it were free, but I'm willing to spend a few if necessary.

Thanks!

PS, this is WinXP.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Re: Data encryption software suggestions needed

PGP Desktop.

You can create encrypted PGP "disks" which mount on your machine with a normal drive letter. Anything saved in that virtual "disk" is encrypted. You can lock/unlock those disks at will and they employ VERY STRONG encryption.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

There's also truecrypt, an open source encrypted "disk" program.

TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows XP/2000 and Linux

It doesn't offer all the extra features of PGP Desktop, but if all you need is the encrypted "disk" feature then it's something to consider.

Comment

TrueCrypt is a good app too! I do prefer PGP Desktop, but I also use PGP a lot sending encrypted e-mails and files to various peoples, so it comes in handy.
        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

microsoft had private folder 1.0 out for a short time that I use. it is a simple password protect, it auto locks after x amount of nonuse, and is just another folder in your docs and settings. If you are interested, I can link to a download I host. the file is pretty small too.
          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I went ahead with TrueCrypt. Works very nicely, and you can't beat the price! :D

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X