• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tempus
    started a topic Data encryption software suggestions needed

Data encryption software suggestions needed

Hey all,

I know little about these things, but I would like a program that does something like the following:

I want to be able to encrypt a folder (and its contents) so that when it is encrypted, its not accessible (or even readable). But by typing in a PW or something, the folder is available and fully usable by my apps like Word, Media Players, music players, etc. seamlessly. I don't want to have to copy the data, or anything like that.

I imagine something like this exists. I would prefer if it were free, but I'm willing to spend a few if necessary.

Thanks!

PS, this is WinXP.

• Tempus
    replied
    Re: Data encryption software suggestions needed

Thanks for the suggestions. I went ahead with TrueCrypt. Works very nicely, and you can't beat the price! :D

Leave a comment:

• =DdogG=
    replied

microsoft had private folder 1.0 out for a short time that I use. it is a simple password protect, it auto locks after x amount of nonuse, and is just another folder in your docs and settings. If you are interested, I can link to a download I host. the file is pretty small too.

Leave a comment:

• Apophis
    replied

TrueCrypt is a good app too! I do prefer PGP Desktop, but I also use PGP a lot sending encrypted e-mails and files to various peoples, so it comes in handy.

Leave a comment:

• FriedFish
    replied

There's also truecrypt, an open source encrypted "disk" program.

TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows XP/2000 and Linux

It doesn't offer all the extra features of PGP Desktop, but if all you need is the encrypted "disk" feature then it's something to consider.

Leave a comment:

• Apophis
    replied

PGP Desktop.

You can create encrypted PGP "disks" which mount on your machine with a normal drive letter. Anything saved in that virtual "disk" is encrypted. You can lock/unlock those disks at will and they employ VERY STRONG encryption.

Leave a comment:

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
X