RAM Suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM Suggestions

Ok Guys. I've been thinking about upgrading my RAM and I'm curious to see what some of you other gamers have in your rigs. Right now, I've got a pretty high end system but I totally skimped on the RAM, and I'm loading games like BF2 a lot longer than I feel I should be loading. I was thinking about something like this:

OCZ Technology | Products | Memory | OCZ EL DDR PC-4000 Dual Channel Gold Rev 2

but I'm open to recommendations.

Also, do any of you use a projector to game? I'm definitely interested in getting one sometime soon and looking for some suggestions about them.
    |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
    [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Re: RAM Suggestions

I think the biggest bottleneck in load times is your HD. It's the slowest piece of hardware in a computer. I'm not sure if a RAM upgrade will make things any better. I used to have 2x256MB DDR400 Kingston HyperX running at DDR266 with some nice timings. I think I've timed BF2 to load maps in about a minute. The time didn't change much when I added some old 512MB DDR333 Samsung module. Framerates were a bit smoother in game though since I wasn't hitting the harddrive as much.

I'd trust OCZ and had it spec'ed for my Conroe system until I found out the Gigabyte board has problems with it. Another brand to look at is Corsair but I find OCZ to be good for the price.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

The ram seems good to me. Nice speed and tight. I also don't thnk it will decrease your load times significantly if at all.

I have done some projector gamming back in the BF 1942, FarCry days. I found that there is a to big for FPS games. For simulation games like MS Flight Simulator or Need4Speed its great.
      Last edited by troublesome4u; 08-16-2006, 09:51 PM.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Thanks for the advice about the RAM guys. You probably saved me $200 lol. As for the projector, troublesome you don't recommend it for games like bf2?
        |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
        [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

NO I don't recomend it for BF2. It is fun in BF2 if your just going to fly the jet or helicopter. You have to move your eyes and head to see whats going on, on either side of the screen. It just feels so different sitting farther away.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

If you're buying new RAM I wouldn't suggest getting anything under 2GB. Don't you know BF2 is a ram whore? Here's what I have right now.

G.SKILL Extreme Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail at Newegg.com

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Jay. I'm running 2gb w/kingston value RAM but I'l prob. wait til vista and do my upgrading then.
              |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
              [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Originally posted by B. Clawhammer View Post
                Thanks for the suggestion Jay. I'm running 2gb w/kingston value RAM but I'l prob. wait til vista and do my upgrading then.
                I run an Asus A8v Deluxe Skt 939 mobo. For Ram I use 2 Gbs (4 x 512 sticks) of Kingston Value Ram.

A while back I fiddled around with other brands of RAM. My goal was to go from 4 sticks to 2 sticks to try to move from a 2T command rate to a 1 T command rate. I also wanted to run them at 400 mhz which is only possible for an AMD machine if you don't populate all 4 DIMMS. I bought (2Gbs 2 X 1GB) of high end OCZ Ram. The performance increase was noticable but I my machine became unstable, with BSOD's and freeze ups. Same story with Crucial RAM. I kept each for about 3 weeks before RMA'ing it back to newegg and now I'm still running on the original 4 sticks of Kingston Value Ram. I loved the faster speed but stability was a more important factor. (Apparently Asus MOBOS are very picky on RAM-and even though the RAM mfg's said they were compatible --they werent).

Now I'm considering purchasing the Value Select 2 GB kit (2 X 1GB) that Kingston offers but at about 2 bills I'm not so sure I shouldn't just wait till I my next build which is in about a year and a half from now.

Just my experience but thought I'd share it with you since you asked for input on RAM choices.
                sigpic
                |TG-1st|Grunt
                ARMA Admin (retired)
                Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

THanks Grunt. I'll probably hold off until my next build, about the same time as you. Also thanks for the heads up on ASUS and RAm compatibility. I've got an ASUS board as well so I'll take that into consideration next time.
                  |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                  [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Originally posted by B. Clawhammer View Post
                    THanks Grunt. I'll probably hold off until my next build, about the same time as you. Also thanks for the heads up on ASUS and RAm compatibility. I've got an ASUS board as well so I'll take that into consideration next time.
                    Indeed, good advice from Grunt.

I've always followed the ASUS Qualified Vendor List (every mobo should have one in the manual and on their website). There are so many variables that I would not consider buying RAM without doublechecking the QVL.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Compatibility is a major headache with RAM and motherboards. So many different manufacturers exist and everything cannot be tested and taken into account. Regardless of the manufacturer, each motherboard line is different since the technology used is different. Just because one brand didn't work on one particular motherboard, doesn't mean it won't work on another line from the same motherboard company. A motherboard manufacturer will normally have a list of the tested memory for a particular motherboard on their website. Always a good place to check first.

Remember, 2 GB is the norm to handle decent gaming nowadays.
                      -33rd- BaneII
                      Smokers & Jokers

Comment

As far as a projector goes... I would look at anything from Sony. Panasonic isn't a bad name either but the Sony that my church got and I help run is much nicer quality and presentation than the Panasonic was.

Another thing to remember when purchasing a projector is the price of the replacement bulbs. These can be over $100 easily with certain projectors. They can also be under $100... so do your shopping on that as well.

I just love Sony's picture... but if you are looking for something a little more creative... try THIS! :D

()

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X