Dell Laptop Recall and Battery Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell Laptop Recall and Battery Question

Ok, I just went to the Dell Recall Website to get a (extra ;) ) replacement battery for my Dell Inspiron 6000, and it got me thinking about my laptop use and if it has any negative effect on my battery.

Basically, I have my laptop plugged in and running all the time, as I have Azureus and other programs running. Should I remove the battery in these circumstances? I'm not worried about a fire (only 6 of however many hundreds of thousands sold have this issue), but more about "good hygiene" with using my laptop's Li-ion battery, in order to maximize its life.

I know this is a basic question, but just realized I didn't have a good answer for it.
    Beatnik

Re: Dell Laptop Recall and Battery Question

I would like to know also. I have my laptop hooked up all the time. I do however run the battery down every once in awhile to reset the memory.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

I don't think that Lithium Ion has any memory effects. I'm pretty sure that those went out with Nickel Cadmium batteries...
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Heat will have an effect on the life of the battery. Also, your laptop may be discharging the battery's power a little bit and that will also decrease its life.

If possible, remove the battery when running on AC power. Note: some laptops may not turn on without a battery even when plugged in.

The other thing is if you do remove the battery and leave it out, it will slowly discharge. If you're concerned about its life, you can store it in the fridge.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Cool. That's what I was thinking Sarc - just take out the battery when I'm using it at home. Although getting a free extra battery from Dell doesn't hurt things either, at least as far as battery life is concerned. ;)
          Beatnik

Comment

Well if you're one of the affected battery owners I would definitely get a new battery. I have the Dell Inspiron E1505 and even though my battery was listed I checked it through their form and it said I don't need a replacement.

Comment

Yes, anytime there is a recall and you can get something FREE, why not? :D

()

Comment

yep. I already got my replacement battery from them. That's an extra $100 and a spare battery for long flights. :D
                Beatnik

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X