LCD monitor 8ms/2ms question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCD monitor 8ms/2ms question

Just wondering if anyone is using a 8ms monitor and if they encounter any "ghosting" Issues with it during gaming.

I am contemplating on getting a new monitor and I've narrowed my choices to the following:

LG1718S ($170): LG L1718S Black 17" 8ms LCD Monitor - Retail at Newegg.com

Viewsonic VX922 ($270): ViewSonic VX922 Black/Silver 19" 2ms LCD Monitor - Retail at Newegg.com

I know the VX922 is a much better monitor, there is a $100 difference. I just wanted to know if I can get away with the LG if 8ms is "good enough".

Thx ahead.
    Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Re: LCD monitor 8ms/2ms question

My question is do they all measure the M/S the same way? Is it regulated or do they just make it up.

I have a 19" Gateway Wide Screen that I got for cheap and it looks pretty good. At first it was strange going from CRT to LCD but my eyes are use to it now and the monitor seems to keep up with the games. It was rated at 8 M/S I beleive.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo View Post
      My question is do they all measure the M/S the same way? Is it regulated or do they just make it up.
      They don't all measure these things in the same way, but the response times are definitely an indication of reality even if they aren't precise. By the way, it is "ms" (milliseconds) not "M/S" (metres per second?). It is a measure of how long it takes for a pixel to respond to an input change.

I have had an 8ms response time monitor for a couple of months and I don't see any kind of motion blur effect at all.

Oh and by the way, you are comparing a 17" with a 19" LCD.

Lemme tack on this suggestion (assuming you like newegg):
      ViewSonic VA912b Black 19" 8ms LCD Monitor Built in Speakers - Retail at Newegg.com
      (19" normal aspect, with DVI input)
      Last edited by icky; 08-21-2006, 05:36 PM.
      Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Originally posted by icky View Post
        They don't all measure these things in the same way, but the response times are definitely an indication of reality even if they aren't precise. By the way, it is "ms" (milliseconds) not "M/S" (metres per second?). It is a measure of how long it takes for a pixel to respond to an input change.

I have had an 8ms response time monitor for a couple of months and I don't see any kind of motion blur effect at all.

Oh and by the way, you are comparing a 17" with a 19" LCD.
        Yeah, I don't mind the size difference given they have the same resolution (both are rated 1280x1024), I recon the 17" will look even better (casue its smaller). It is a hugh price difference as I mentioned. I just don't want to spent it on something that is gonna look worst that my ancient 17" CRT.

You think that VX922 with justisfy the extra $100 with much better ms timing, larger viewing area and a better brand (monitorwise)?

Comment

I have no clue how they get the numbers they do, but I do know that I had a 17 inch with 16ms response time and I never noticed ghosting or blur.

After having that monitor for 3 years, I recently bought a 24 inch with 8ms response time and motion blur.

My conclusion: response time is a terrible indicator. Your best bet is to look at reviews on newegg.com and see what the actual owners think. Keep in mind that some people don't notice what is glaringly obvious to others.

Hell, if you are in the market for a 17 inch LCD, I can sell you my old one. Its 3 years old though, so who knows how much life is left in the backlight.
          Steam Community: | |

Comment

Originally posted by RocketPunch View Post
            You think that VX922 with justisfy the extra $100 with much better ms timing, larger viewing area and a better brand (monitorwise)?
            I wouldn't DREAM of giving up the 2 inches of screen space for that tiny price difference. Also check the link I added to the bottom of my last post.

Comment

Different companies measure ms in different ways. Some measure black to black, white to black or grey to grey. Download this test I have. It is very accurate.
              Use the arrow keys up down left and right to adjust the ms. Put the ms at at your LCD's claimed rate. Both side should be grey and blinking at the same time when your done. My benq does what it claims 11-12ms. My friends scepter lcd (CHEAPo) claims 8ms but is acctualy 16ms grey to grey.

IF you are prone to seizure do not try this please.
              Post your LCD and MS you are getting people.
              19 Benq FP937s 12ms [email protected] no ghosting
              Attached Files
              Last edited by troublesome4u; 08-21-2006, 08:03 PM.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Originally posted by troublesome4u View Post
                Different companies measure ms in different ways. Some measure black to black, white to black or grey to grey. Download this test I have. It is very accurate.
                Use the arrow keys up down left and right to adjust the ms. Put the ms at at your LCD's claimed rate. Both side should be grey and blinking at the same time when your done. My benq does what it claims 11-12ms. My friends scepter lcd (CHEAPo) claims 8ms but is acctualy 16ms grey to grey.

IF you are prone to seizure to not try this please.
                Thx for the tip, and the tool!

By the way, good suggestion icky, thats pretty good for $200.
                Last edited by RocketPunch; 08-21-2006, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Never noticed ghosting with any of my LCD monitors. I don't believe either of them were below 10ms.
                  A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by troublesome4u View Post
                    Interesting tool, but can you explain why you believe it to be very accurate? I find the fact that it steps in increments of 1 ms causes me to question the accuracy. Surely response times are not always round milliseconds.

It should give a result which matches the normal black->white + white->black response time, but I'm not sure that it can unless it gives you finer timing control.

Comment

Well your right icky, very accurate is a to strong a description, but for free its the best tool I have come across. This tool was posted in an overclocking forum and allot of people inclunding myself tested it on many differnent LCDs and found it to be pretty good indication of gtg ms performance. This is by no means perfect as im sure you could measure it in smaller increments and color to color.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

I'm pretty sure this wouldn't be a grey to grey timing. The grey of the two sides is throwing people off. The time is going all the way from white to black and back. Grey to grey is literally switching from one shade of grey to another with no white or black in between.

My fear about the lack of fractions of milliseconds is that a monitor which really responds at 3.5 ms may appear to respond at 7 ms.

Comment

I'll chime in with a suggestion to look at the 19 inch Samsung 931B LCD monitor at **cough cough ** Best Buy.

I was in the market for a monitor last year. I wanted a 19 or 20 inch LCD with low response time. I shopped around on Newegg but I also looked in the local B & M stores too. I bought a 19 inch LCD Samsung 930 B (8 ms) at Best Buy because the price was right--the Best Buy sale price coupled with a manufacturers rebate brought the price down to about $215.00. I've been perfectly satisfied since my purchase and would not hesitate at all to recommend it's sister model the 931B

While writing this post I came across a Best Buy deal on the Samsung 931B for $169...holy cow man...

here's the link

Samsung 931B 19" LCD Display for $170 - dealnews.com

Good luck !!

Edit--just noticed the deal I posted ended on the 19th...still worth looking at Best Buy though I bet.
                          Last edited by Grunt 70; 08-22-2006, 03:50 PM. Reason: content correction
                          sigpic
                          |TG-1st|Grunt
                          ARMA Admin (retired)
                          Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Yeah I've got the same monitor as Grunt (samsung 930b) and it works flawlessly. I've noticed no ghosting whatsoever and the images are bright and crisp w/no dead pixels out of the box. I'd def. recommend it to anyone interested. If you can afford it, go w/a 19". It's soo much better and barely takes up more real estate than a 17".
                            |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                            [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Anyone had any experience with Rosewill brand monitors??

I found this, looks like a pretty good deal ($160 AR) for the spec: Rosewill R913E Black 19" 4ms LCD Monitor - Retail at Newegg.com

Thanks ahead.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...