WinZip Files - PoE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinZip Files - PoE

I keep coming across Zip files. Do I need to buy software that allows me to open a Zip file? If, yes can anyone recommend what would work best to open and use Zip files?

Which leads me into my next question: I'm looking forward to downloading and playing PoE. Is Zip required to download the game?
    |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
    "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
    - Check me out on The Onion
    - I'm on the local news!

Re: WinZip Files - PoE

Windows XP will allow you to open .zip files.

You can also download WinRar to manage .zip files or just go with the original WinZip.

WinRar: WinRAR archiver, a powerful tool to process RAR and ZIP files
    WinZip: WinZip® - The Zip File Utility for Windows - Zip/Unzip, Encrypt/Decrypt

There are also a ton of other free utilities such as:

Freezip: FreeZip - zip and unzip for free
    7Zip: 7-Zip - Free Software Downloads and Software Reviews - Download.com
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

For your second question:

Tonight, PoE is being released as a passworded torrent file. Which means you'll need a torrent program to download the file. Later tonight or possibily the next morning, someone here at TG will, if possible, upload the same file to the member's download area for easy download by supporting members.

Saturday evening, the PoE team will release the password which will unlock the file and let you play. They will also release links to places where you can download the file without a torrent program.

Comment

Dunno about anyone else but when I gt the zip I'm gonna try and crack it...
        |TG| Lorian
        Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

Just use 7-zip.
          Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

Originally posted by Lorian View Post
            Dunno about anyone else but when I gt the zip I'm gonna try and crack it...
            Best of luck with that. These guys aren't retards. The password isn't going to be a 4-character dictionary word.

(/me prepares to eat hat when the pw turns out to be "12345")

"1-2-3-4-5? That's amazing! I've got the same combination on my luggage!"
            Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Yeah, it's probably really long, but a guy can wish... :\

/me needs super computer
              |TG| Lorian

Comment

OK, thanks for the help.

I just went to the zip website and used the free trial program they offer. Now when I open the zip file it doesn't "open" like say a Window Media Player or Quick Time does, if that makes sense.

For example, when I downloaded the Quick Time, I can watch whatever I'm watching quickly and I don;t get prompted with instructions on what to do. Simply, I click and it plays the movie or video.

I keep getting the prompt on the zip file to save the file to my computer. Shouldn't I able to just click and open the file without having to go thru three or four steps?
                |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
                - I'm on the local news!

Comment

I don't really know what you mean. But I would recommend getting 7-Zip, just right click on it and click o extract here, no fuss, no muss.
                  |TG| Lorian

Comment

Originally posted by TheFatKidDeath View Post
                    I keep getting the prompt on the zip file to save the file to my computer. Shouldn't I able to just click and open the file without having to go thru three or four steps?
                    A zip file is normally a collection of a bunch of files, all grouped together and compressed into one file. When you click on it and you're getting prompted to save (or extract) to your computer, it's asking you where it should extract the files in the zip archive to. You can just make a folder on your desktop or wherever you like and tell it to save the files there, then you open that folder and you'll see all the goodies that were in the zip file!

Think of the zip file as the bag that holds all your Fruit Loops. It would be a pain to have to carry all those Fruit Loops home from the store without something keeping all the individual cereal pieces together in one convenient package. When you get the box of Fruit Loops home, you open the package (zip file) and dump the cereal (individual files in the zip) into a bowl (folder on your desktop) to eat (Run the setup or install program).

Comment

Damn you, Apophis.

Daaaammmnnnn youuuu.

Now I want some cereal. :(

( great analogy. only a matter of time before I re-use that. )
                      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
                        A zip file is normally a collection of a bunch of files, all grouped together and compressed into one file. When you click on it and you're getting prompted to save (or extract) to your computer, it's asking you where it should extract the files in the zip archive to. You can just make a folder on your desktop or wherever you like and tell it to save the files there, then you open that folder and you'll see all the goodies that were in the zip file!

Think of the zip file as the bag that holds all your Fruit Loops. It would be a pain to have to carry all those Fruit Loops home from the store without something keeping all the individual cereal pieces together in one convenient package. When you get the box of Fruit Loops home, you open the package (zip file) and dump the cereal (individual files in the zip) into a bowl (folder on your desktop) to eat (Run the setup or install program).
                        Yes, thank you, A. I enjoy eating, so this analogy is something I can relate to!
                        |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
                        - I'm on the local news!

Comment

Great Fruit Loop analogy.:madsmile:

So when the files are compressed, that's like crushing your Fruit Loops so they take up less space in the bag. :madsmile:

:madsmile: :madsmile: :madsmile: :icon19:

Comment

I'm a bit surprised they released as a zip file versus a rar. Rar seems to achieve much better compression ratios and on a huge file like this release they could be saving someone a great deal of download time.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFatKidDeath View Post
                              Yes, thank you, A. I enjoy eating, so this analogy is something I can relate to!
                              You're welcome! Let me know if you get stuck anywhere and I'd be glad to help.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X