dumb Win XP question...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dumb Win XP question...

I can't find my original Dell XPS Win XP Media Edition CD... Can I use one of my other 2 Win XP CD's to format and install XP? (on my girl's Dell... not mine, mines find... they allowed a bunch of spyware and virus's in because of stupidity, even with protection, now it needs a major re-format.)

Or is each CD special for each machine... yes I have three different serial numbers, (my laptop has one also.)
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: dumb Win XP question...

Well it's illlegal, but possible... Though activation may not work too well.
    |TG| Lorian
    Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
      I can't find my original Dell XPS Win XP Media Edition CD... Can I use one of my other 2 Win XP CD's to format and install XP? (on my girl's Dell... not mine, mines find... they allowed a bunch of spyware and virus's in because of stupidity, even with protection, now it needs a major re-format.)

Or is each CD special for each machine... yes I have three different serial numbers, (my laptop has one also.)
      The Cd is not special for each machine, but every type of windows XP has a differnt cd. All that matters is the Key used.

You would need a Windows XP Media CD and Windows XP Media serial to reinstall windows XP media.
      Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

thx, I still have all the serials, (there printed and posted on the machines)

thx.
        Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

I guess my question is:

If I have a full version, store bought Win XP Pro or Win XP Media Edition disk... can I use that one alone to re-install Windows on my three computers... but just use the serial numbers for each machines operating system (printed on a sticker attacked to the different PC's from Dell)...

Or do I have to use the disk that came with each machine?

Thx again.
          Magnum |TG-18th|

Comment

My experience is that the Disk itself does not have a unique key, but registration of your software does require the key (via phone or internet for activation). I may be wrong but I have installed 5+ installations from the same physical disk but using different keys.
            Beep

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. - (Isaac Asimov)

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50 View Post
              I guess my question is:

If I have a full version, store bought Win XP Pro or Win XP Media Edition disk... can I use that one alone to re-install Windows on my three computers... but just use the serial numbers for each machines operating system (printed on a sticker attacked to the different PC's from Dell)...

Or do I have to use the disk that came with each machine?

Thx again.
              That won't work, the keys printed on the sides of the computer are OEM keys and can only be used with OEM copies of Windows.
              |TG| Lorian

Comment

Originally posted by beep View Post
                My experience is that the Disk itself does not have a unique key, but registration of your software does require the key (via phone or internet for activation). I may be wrong but I have installed 5+ installations from the same physical disk but using different keys.
                Bingo. It's not practical to bind a key to a unique copy of a disc. The software does all the verification plus the activation after install.

However, I'm not sure if you can use the Media Edition key for the Pro version. Technically, they are the same type of OS except the Media Edition has more features out of the box. You would be installing XP Pro and losing those features. This is if you can even use the Media Edition key with the Pro version. It's like using a Pro key for installing XP Home.

I would keep looking for those OEM discs. It's got the Media Edition and easily restores everything you need without worry about keys.

Originally posted by Lorian
                That won't work, the keys printed on the sides of the computer are OEM keys and can only be used with OEM copies of Windows.
                I don't think that would be an issue. It's the key that signifies whether the license is OEM or not. It's like those special corporate keys that XP can use so no activation is necessary. It uses the same install disc. The problem may be attempting to use a Media Edition key with a Pro install.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

They keys only work with the version of XP they are made for. An XP Pro key will only work with Pro, MCE key will only work with MCE, OEM key will only work with OEM, etc.
                  |TG| Lorian

Comment

as it seems no one reads the stickies in this forum, here goes:

you cannot use a retail disk with an OEM COA. the media type must match the key... home oem with home oem, pro retail with pro retail, media center with media center... (there is no retail version of media center) the media is NOT tied to the key, though trying to install a dell oem media on a non dell computer will cause you to have to call in the activation, but it is still legal.
                    a restore CD (a cd with the HD image on it instead of an install) will only work with the model of computer it comes with, but if you can get your hands on an OEM media, the COA on the bottom of the computer will work to activate it.... it does seem that you almost always have to call in the activation, but it is never an issue. they ask if its installed on any other computers, then they might ask for the make and model of the computer (the key code is registered to a specific OEM, so if you say compaq and its a DELL COA, they will deny it) but as long as you follow the rules in my EULA post stickied in this thread, they will always activate it for you...

I deal with microsoft almost daily. I have open licenses, volume licenses, software assurance licenses, and am a small business partner. I guarantee you that my information is correct.

if you need a copy of the media, pm me and I can probably help you. I have oem versions of home, pro, media center, and dell branded.
                    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Thx for the info Ddog, I contacted Dell and there sending me a free one anyway... of course 30 mins later I found the damn disk I was looking for in the first place. lol
                      Magnum |TG-18th|

Comment

Originally posted by Lorian View Post
                        They keys only work with the version of XP they are made for. An XP Pro key will only work with Pro, MCE key will only work with MCE, OEM key will only work with OEM, etc.
                        You are correct, sir! :) Don't bother trying to switch up the keys... they are broken down by type of windows.

()

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X