ISP connection dropping when playing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISP connection dropping when playing

Just this week my ISP (Rogers high speed cable in Ottawa Canada) connection started dropping ONLY while playing BF2. Very odd and suggestive of selective traffic blocking (which they would never admit to). Aside from changing providers to an independent ISP there is little, I suspect, that I can do about this. I can fix the problem by goin into XPs local area connection status widget and hitting "repair" once or thrice, then going back into the game (only to have it happen again in a short while).

Query:

Has anyone else faced this type of situation (VERY selective failure of net connection while playing online game)?

Any suggested courses of action (the tech help has proved utterly useless -- tried once already, my next call will be to disconnect...)? As far as they are concerned, my modem is online and working.

E-Male
    sigpic

Re: ISP connection dropping when playing

Had the problem in America's Army a couple years ago. Everytime I'd get to the menu, my cable modem would reset itself. Could play just fine, but if I went back to the menu, boom - disconnected.

Next time you get disconnected, look at the lights on your modem and see if they look normal. If not, call up and request a new modem.
    Battlefield Admin() ()
    [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
    [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
    | for | |

Comment

Yeah apparently when I moved into my new place a year ago, TW Cable in Austin gave me a 5 year old 'surfboard' modem, which was horrible. After getting a new modem (and them adjusting the noise level in my cable line) things worked better. Not great, but better.
      Beatnik

Comment

No router? If the modem is connected to your computer, is it with CAT5 or USB?

I'm in Ottawa and on Rogers. I'll play a little BF2 this weekend and see if I have the same problem since I haven't played it in a few weeks.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Thanks for the comments -- did try once more with tech support, this time got through to someone who knew his stuff -- the problem MAY have been due to a wider local area tech prob with their lines. Will see how the connection holds up this week.

Thanks again,

E-Male
          sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse