No announcement yet.

Wake me up from this nightmare please!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wake me up from this nightmare please!

Hey guys I need some help from the always helpfull and intelligent people who frequent this forum.

i have this new build that is friving me crazy here are the spects

Intel 775 Pentium 3.0 processor
    Asus P5RD1-VM Mobo
    2gig Patriot PC 3200 PSD2G400KH memory with heat spreaders
    Radeon X800 GTO video card
    IDE Hard Drive ( Don't know the brand didn't buy it)

I can't even get this thing to post at all. Here are the steps I have taken to this point and if anybody has any suggestions please speak up.

I removed the memory and put it in my computer to check and see if it was ok and it ran just fine for a couple days.

I bought a different Mobo and tried that and I got the same results, nothing.

I removed everything except what was absolutely necessary to get a post screen. All that was plugged in is processor, Ram, used on board video. No HD, CD ROm or video card. Still nothing changed.

So I took it to Frys Electronics where I bought the Mobo and they tested the processor, Mobo and they used their own memory using the onboard video and it posted. They said it was my memory.

So I used my Corsair TwinX memory from my box and still no post. I had an old stick of Value select that they used at Frys and I still no post.

The only thing I haven't done is swapped PSU and actually removed the Mobo and try and fire it up outside of the box. I can't think of anything else I can do to get this thing to post. Help please?
    sigpic

Re: Wake me up from this nightmare please!

When it doesn't post, does it give you a beep code for it?

Usually non posting is Cpu, Ram, Video card or mobo.

If you've elminated the mobo, the ram, the CPU, check the card.

Also check see if the ram is dual channel and the mobo is dual channel. Some ram will only run in single channel, and it's not always intuitive looking at the mobo which slots are for single channel and which are for dual channel. (I have to use 1 and 3 for single-channel mode on mine, for instance)

Hmmm

Does it power up at all? Do the fans spin and the CD-roms operate fine? That would be how you check the power.

Otherwise I'm somewhat stumped. You've already eliminated the majority of the things I would have checked :\. Especially since fry's got it to post. If they hadn't I'd think the cmos clear jumper was in the wrong spot or something.
    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

No external speaker in this case so I don't know if there is any beep codes.

I removed the x800 GTO Video card and tried to post with the onboard video with no success

There is only 2 Dimm slots and I have tried both with 3 different types of PC 3200 memory. Corsair TwinX, Patriot, And Value Select

Yes it powers up. The case fans spin, CPU fan spins. I can't tell if the HDD is operational or the CD Rom

Thanks again for the help
      sigpic

Comment

Those beeps will come thru the internal Speaker, so if you arent hearing them its not even getting power. How many plugs do you plug into the motherboard?
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR] View Post
          Those beeps will come thru the internal Speaker, so if you arent hearing them its not even getting power. How many plugs do you plug into the motherboard?
          There is no speaker in the case I have so I don't know of any beep codes.

Plugs? Do you mean power plugs? I have the main power connector and the secondary 4 pin power connector. Could you elaborate on which plugs you are refering to please. Thanks
          sigpic

Comment

nope those are what i was wondering...just wanted to make sure you had it all plugged in. I beleive most MBs have a small speaker onboard. How big is your PSU? I would say anything 450+ would be plenty for that setup.

Your next step if possible would be to check and make sure the PSU is running 110 not 220. The little selector on the back. Make sure its grounded good, and then swap your parts out to other PCs to see if they actually work.
            that sounds like a good idea trooper.
            -Vulcan

Comment

Just so you know, the internal speaker may not look like a speaker, here is mine for example:

|TG| Lorian
              Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

Did you check the processor for bent pins?
                Retired 6th DB

Comment

I'm going to guess that something is just not plugged in correctly somewhere. I would thoroughly doublecheck ALL connections, even the 'easy' ones and make sure you are doing them all correctly.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Drizzid View Post
                    I removed the memory and put it in my computer to check and see if it was ok and it ran just fine for a couple days.

I bought a different Mobo and tried that and I got the same results, nothing.

I removed everything except what was absolutely necessary to get a post screen. All that was plugged in is processor, Ram, used on board video. No HD, CD ROm or video card. Still nothing changed.

So I took it to Frys Electronics where I bought the Mobo and they tested the processor, Mobo and they used their own memory using the onboard video and it posted. They said it was my memory.

So I used my Corsair TwinX memory from my box and still no post. I had an old stick of Value select that they used at Frys and I still no post.

The only thing I haven't done is swapped PSU and actually removed the Mobo and try and fire it up outside of the box. I can't think of anything else I can do to get this thing to post. Help please?
                    From this, it sounds like you know what's left to test. You need to pull the motherboard from the case. Check the standoffs that you're using and make sure you're only using the standoffs that are appropriate for your motherboard with no extras. An extra standoff in the wrong place could prevent your motherboard from posting. If all your standoffs are correct, then you have to look at the PSU.

Comment

After what Fried says, if it still doesn't work, make sure the BIOS installed on the mainboard supports the CPU you are installing. For example, if you have that mainboard and plug a Pentium 4 630 into it.. it'll pop right up.. but if you plug a P4 631 into it, you'll get exactly what you just described.

This isn't because the board doesn't support it, but the BIOS doesn't have that chip listed in it's compat/settings tables so it won't allow the system to POST to prevent damage to a possibly incompatible chip/mainboard combo.

So here is the rub.. you can't flash the BIOS with an update that supports the newer chip (in the example a 631) without having an older chip (like the 630) around to pop in there.. UNLESS you have a compatible EEPROM burner around. You might be able to find a computer shop around that has an EEPROM burner.. but it's tough. I haven't checked but ASUS might sell you the ROM chip with the updated BIOS on it ($25 maybe?).

I run into this alot.. so much I wish I owned an EEPROM burner myself.

Edit: EXCEPT you say Fry's got it to post.. with that CPU and that Mainboard together - and they did it in front of you right? so you can verify they didn't test the CPU on another board and another CPU on your board? With their memory? Hrmmm.. incompat memory will cause the same symptoms, but it is much less likely, IMO.. I have run into that before.. but not as often as the BIOS issue.
                      Last edited by P8riot; 08-28-2006, 01:59 PM. Reason: Correction
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P8riot View Post
                        After what Fried says, if it still doesn't work, make sure the BIOS installed on the mainboard supports the CPU you are installing. For example, if you have that mainboard and plug a Pentium 4 630 into it.. it'll pop right up.. but if you plug a P4 631 into it, you'll get exactly what you just described.

This isn't because the board doesn't support it, but the BIOS doesn't have that chip listed in it's compat/settings tables so it won't allow the system to POST to prevent damage to a possibly incompatible chip/mainboard combo.

So here is the rub.. you can't flash the BIOS with an update that supports the newer chip (in the example a 631) without having an older chip (like the 630) around to pop in there.. UNLESS you have a compatible EEPROM burner around. You might be able to find a computer shop around that has an EEPROM burner.. but it's tough. I haven't checked but ASUS might sell you the ROM chip with the updated BIOS on it ($25 maybe?).

I run into this alot.. so much I wish I owned an EEPROM burner myself.

Helluva good point. Here's a link to the CPU support table for your motherboard. There might be a sticker on your BIOS eeprom with the rev #.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Originally posted by Drizzid View Post
                          There is no speaker in the case I have so I don't know of any beep codes.
                          Oh - something else..

Asus may not have an on-board speaker on every MB.. but sometimes they look like the one Lorian posted.

Sorry if I missed this but did you have speakers (regular desktop speakers or whatever) plugged into the on-board audio? If not - hook those up too. Asus uses vocal diagnostic reporting during post that will actually tell you whats up if there is a problem. A womans voice will tell you 'CPU fan failed' or 'No memory installed', stuff like that.
                          Last edited by P8riot; 08-28-2006, 02:06 PM. Reason: clarification
                          sigpic

Comment

If all that fails......the computer might be thirsty......pour 2 liters of mountain dew in it.......thatll solve your problem haw haw!

seriously though, like p8 said MAKE SHURE your processor is on the compatibility list for your mobo...ans MAKE SHURE it doesnt require a bios update to be comaptible

i just had this same problem days ago and p8 and i worked out that it was an incompatibility issue...different chip in it and it fired right up

hope you solve your prob soon i know how frustrating these things can be.

Comment

This might be a long shot, but check your MB spacers. The little nuts or plastic separators that you screw the MB to the case with. I once used the wrong kind and had similar problems.
                              New to TG?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X