Tips for buying an LCD monitor?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for buying an LCD monitor?

I am looking to spend between 100-200 (approx $200-400) on a new 17" LCD monitor. I don't know much about LCD montiros, so I need help for what to look for. I am going to be using it for gaming, movies and using the internet. I imagine I want a good response time, but what should I look for? Also, what kind of contrast ratio is good? Anything else I should look for?

Free reps for everyone who helps :D
    |TG| Lorian
    Member since 18th February 2006

Re: Tips for buying an LCD monitor?

17" seems to be a good balance between size and price. I have a 17" CRT at the moment running at 1280x1024. I saw a 19", and it was too big for my liking, and 15" is just, bleugh, for lack of a better word.

Anyway, about contrast, I read something that said contrast ration should be at least 400:1, what is the difference?
    |TG| Lorian

Comment

This looks good:
      ebuyer.com - PCs/Displays » Monitors » .TFT LCD Flat Panel 17" » Product details
      4ms
      600:1
      300 cd/m2
      DVI
      (specification)

Looks good and is within my price range. Thoughts?
      |TG| Lorian

Comment

400:1 is better then 350:1. I just wanted to give some "tips". All the LCDs listed are between $200-$400 and 19-20 inches. The monitors will all be at the same resolution of 1280x1024 wether you go 19, or 17 (except the widescreen).

^^^ The Samsung 730B is very nice.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Sounds good, will probably get that then. Thanks fior the help.
          |TG| Lorian

Comment

19" is too big? Are you crazy man? If you're going to buy an LCD the bigger the better. (provided you can afford it) There's nothing you'll love more than a kick ass monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by jmaker View Post
              19" is too big? Are you crazy man?
              Probably, but I'm not made of money, and a 17" CRT is good enough for me, and a 17" LCD is bigger than a 17" CRT (or so I hear), so it's ok.
              |TG| Lorian

Comment

Shop around and I bet you can find a 19 inch for a similar price to a 17 inch. You wont' be sorry.

I got my Samsung 930b at Best buy for about 240. Not a problem once since I've had it and I'm now even thinking of a 20 or 21 inch widescreen.
                sigpic
                |TG-1st|Grunt
                ARMA Admin (retired)
                Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

They recently set me up with dual LCD's at work. The newer of the two is a HP 19" L1940T, the other is a 17" L1740.

I'd definitely say to go for the 19" size. Price difference on hp.com for my two monitors is $50.. Save a little longer if you have to.
                  Battlefield Admin() ()
                  [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                  [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                  | for | |

Comment

Hm, I will take a look at the 19" ones then.
                    |TG| Lorian

Comment

Originally posted by Lorian View Post
                      Hm, I will take a look at the 19" ones then.
                      Just a side note here. the difference between 17" LCD and 19" LCD is.....if you're thinking about buying a 19", buy a 20" instead.

Reasoning is very simple. 17" and 19" have the same native resolution (1280x1024). If you don't know anything about LCD's, basically LCD's run best (some would say "only run well") in their native resolution. That means while you get an extra 2" of monitor, you're not really getting much more viewing wise. 20" run in the next resolution range.

So, if you're looking at the 17-19" range, you mightaswell buy a 17 'cause you can save around $50, IMO.

Also. Be very very very very very wary about buying LCD's online, anywhere. Most online dealers have horrible return policies on LCD's (8 dead pixels or more required for defect return) which means it's a crap shoot on if you're going to be stuck with a bad monitor (with say 3 dead pixels in the center of the screen). If at all possible, buy from an actual store, as you can often return there just because it smells funny.

Personally, viewsonic and samsung are among my favorite LCD brands. Dell also makes some very nice ones.
                      a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                      Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                      Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                      Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                      Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

The 19 inchers are coming way down in price, you just have to look. And I HIGHLY doubt you will have a problem with a 19 inch LCD monitor due to it's size. Hell, I'd have a 60" LCD for my comp if I could... 19s are very nice.

www.newegg.com

and

www.tigerdirect.com

()

Comment

Ok, I have a question regarding gaming performance and monitor size. I came across this deal today and would like to know if I go from 1024x768 to 1440x900, how much of an impact in performance should I be expecting??

http://www.buy.com/prod/Niko_NIKO_19...202854158.html
                          Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

Originally posted by RocketPunch View Post
                            Ok, I have a question regarding gaming performance and monitor size. I came across this deal today and would like to know if I go from 1024x768 to 1440x900, how much of an impact in performance should I be expecting??

http://www.buy.com/prod/Niko_NIKO_19...202854158.html
                            What GPU do you have?

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...