Importance of memory timings to stability

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importance of memory timings to stability

So, for like the past 4 - 5 months I've been having all sorts of stability problems in BF2. At times, it was so bad that I couldn't go more than one map without being kicked for modified content, or corrupt memory, or a BSoD, or some other error. I'd tried all kinds of things.. registry cleaning, various video card driver versions, different combinations of running services, you name it.

For some reason, I'd never suspected the memory. I could compile things all day long, compile the linux kernel a dozen times in a row without a problem, heat was good with the CPU never going over like 43-44C. But, since nothing else worked I decided to try Prime95 and it wouldn't last more than like 15 - 20 minutes before erroring out.

But, yesterday I decided to up the memory timings.. My Kingston HyperX RAM is rated at 2-2-2-6, so I basically raised everything to by 1 to 3-3-3-7. Started Prime95 last night and it was still running when I got home from work today -- 20+ hours! Plop in to BF2 and I was able to play for like 5 maps in a row tonight! First time I've been able to do that in who knows how long.

BF2 must be doing something weird to cause the system to crash (and the memory needs replaced with stuff that runs at rated timings...), but that one small little change sure seems to have made a difference!
    Battlefield Admin() ()
    [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
    [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
    | for | |

Re: Importance of memory timings to stability

Which Kingston HyperX RAM is this? Are you overclocked? What is your current memory voltage set at? You could try increasing the voltage to the memory to give more stability at the tighter timings. I'm glad your prime stable now. :)

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Re: Importance of memory timings to stability

I forget the exact model numbers now.. KHX3200something, heh. I have a pair of 512's from one of their DDR sets and another single 512.. One of the two is 2-2-2-5 the other is 2-2-2-6, so the motherboard sets everything at 2-2-2-6. It was already at +.1V from when I built the system and it wasn't prime stable. Both part numbers are discontinued now, so getting them replaced will require a "repair rma" (instead of advanced replacement) which means I gotta be without memory for a week or two. As long as this thing stays stable at 3-3-3-7 I'll be happy and probably won't bother with the repair.

No overclocking to keep temps (and nosie) down...
      Battlefield Admin() ()
      [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
      [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
      | for | |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed