This crow tastes great!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This crow tastes great!

So a few weeks ago, I stated here that there was no point in buying a sound card because today's onboard aound was more than good enough. I was corrected by several posters but was still skeptical. As luck would have it, my onboard audio (and nothing else) was fried in an electrical storm a few weeks ago. I've been using onboard audio for a while but I finally saved up enough money to get an Xfi Platinum ($150 with my employee discount. Otherwise I wouldn't have gotten it) and I have to say that even through my cheap, 4 year old computer speakers, the difference in sound quality is amazing. I'm hearing sounds in my music that I wasn't aware were there. Great purchase.
    sigpic

Re: This crow tastes great!

I too have the X-fi Platnium, and love it to death. I've got it hooked up with Winamp with a plugin, and am using the remote to control it. You've got a lot of options for that card, just look around.

Plus if you play BF2, you'll hear an even bigger difference in the game. (Most other games dont have this option yet.)
    Oyee

Comment

I do play BF2 but unfortunately, I have a USB headset. I need to get a standard one to plug into the jacks on the card. :(

Just had to reboot the computer due to scratchiness, crackling and popping. Furtunately, its not doing it anymore.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buckets View Post
        I do play BF2 but unfortunately, I have a USB headset. I need to get a standard one to plug into the jacks on the card. :(

Just had to reboot the computer due to scratchiness, crackling and popping. Furtunately, its not doing it anymore.
        The crackling and popping is a big factor that hasnt been fixed yet on some cases, did you make sure to grab the lastest drivers from creative.com?
        Oyee

Comment

Originally posted by Buckets View Post

Use the mic from the headset and the speakers for BF2. Just set your Windows audio properties to your X-Fi for output and the headset for voice recording. Then you'll be on your way to EAX goodness!

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Hello Buckets. Sorry to hear about your MB. The X-Fi is an excellent upgrade choice. Enjoy :)

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

A year or two ago I upgraded to the Audigy 2 ZS Platinum, it was the best before the X-Fi, and compared the the onboard crap that my motherboard had the new card was leaps and bounds better. One reason is that I have the ProMedia 5.1 ultras, was sad to have to leave them at home for college, and when I had the integrated sound turned up it would buzz from my mouse and keyboard from the electrical noise. I also have used the front panel a ton with recording LP's that my dad has and with some of my other audio projects. Have been thinking of getting the X-fi for when I build my new computer. What are your guy's thoughts, is it worth upgrading from an Audigy 2 ZS Plat?

PS
              Buckets where do you work?
              -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

I don't know. The crackling and popping issue still remains. And that's brutal. Imagine trying to watch a movie and all throughout you hear these little snap crackles and pops. It's truely annoying and frustrating. I really do wish there was a fix for it.

Comment

Originally posted by jmaker View Post
                  I don't know. The crackling and popping issue still remains. And that's brutal. Imagine trying to watch a movie and all throughout you hear these little snap crackles and pops. It's truely annoying and frustrating. I really do wish there was a fix for it.
                  I have that issue, and really its not that noticable while doing something with sound. Its while there's no sound that the crackle/poping becomes an issue.
                  Oyee

Comment

I upgraded from the audigy 2 gamer edition to the xfi plat. and the difference is crystal clear, especially w/my cheap dell 5.1's. As far as the crackling goes I only get it when I run SLI in gamer mode, I haven't tried watching a movie in SLI so I'm not sure if it'll still make the sounds. (But why watch a movie in SLI right?) Anyways, it's a bummer I have to turn SLI off just to get good clean sound, but i guess I'm gonna stick w/it until there's a fix :(
                    |TG-33rd|Clawhammer
                    [squadl] [sniper][unit]

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...