HD Install help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HD Install help

So I pat myself on the back because I yesterday I reinstalled Windows XP Pro SP 2 to my freshly scrubbed WD 74 GB raptor. I installed BF2 , SF, AF, EF, TAC MOD, POE and last but most important--all those darned patches. It all works like it's supposed too..woot. !!...Many hours of downloading later I'm ready to kill all who come in front of my M16....But....

My plan was to mirror the HD set up I had before I did the reinstall...which was...

Asus A8V Deluxe MOBO with VIA K8T800 Chipset
    74GB raptor run by the Via SATA controller-boot drive
    Floppy
    80GB WD PATA 1st IDE
    20GB WD PATA Slave
    Sony DVD RW 2nd IDE

As in the initial build I installed the Via drivers by hitting F6 and installed the OS on the HDD with no other HD's installed. After XP was installed and tweaked a bit my plan called for plugging the 1st Ide and Slave into the MB. Exactly the procedure I followed in the iniital build. But this time it's not working. The MOBO doesn't see or recognize the sata boot drive. It does recognize the IDE drives though. Consequently the sata WD drive is not listed in the boot order menu

What's happening here? My uneducated guess tells me the Via SATA controller is not initiating because I've got an IDE plugged into the primary IDE port on the MOBO...So...the result is no where to boot to so no boot at all. The only fix is shut the unit down. Unplug the PATA disk array. Start up again, go into bios (where the SATA Boot drive is again recognized) and select the SATA Drive as the boot disk.

I'm stumped...any help would be most gratefully accepted.

Anyhow...I need to get this drive installed because. I was using this for all my media storage so no movies pictures or music till this is fixed..I'd be grateful for any help
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Re: HD Install help

I'm not sure if there might be a BIOS setting to fix this. Double-check the motherboard manual for any clues.

I recently went through something similar except I was using an adapter to plug an IDE HD into a SATA port and it was a secondary drive. The BIOS wouldn't see it at all until I did a soft reset. Even then, the motherboard takes a while at POST to see the drive and Windows boots up slowly. It seems to be an issue with the JMicron SATA chipset.

I recommend trying a search on your motherboard and check if there are issues with running SATA and PATA drives together.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Seems like I recall something like this from way back.
      I'd have to read up but there's a possibility the chipset allocates it's resources (or whatever) to either the Primary IDE 0 OR the SATA. Try plugging the IDE drive into either IDE 0 as a slave or either way on the Secondary IDE channel. Seems unlikely but like I said I seem to remember something along those lines.
      The K8T800 chipset is not new. I have a K8T800 Pro in my father's machine with a secondary IDE drive. I also had secondary drives in this rig, which sports dual 74GB Raptors in RAID0, and didn't have anything as IDE 0 master when I had dual IDE 200GBs or now with just opticals.

Also the BIOS is definitely a place to look.
      Make sure the SATA is set to boot first, and that the IDE in question is enabled and on Auto-detect.

As I said, I'm lazy.
      Not sure atm why I didn't used the IDE0 but there's surely a reason... maybe that's it.

[tg-c1][conduct]

Chuck Norris can believe it's not butter

Comment

Well...thanks for the tips guys...seems my problems have grown. I fiddled with IDE vs the SATA drives, taking out one and replacing the other as I experiemented with bios, secondary vs. primary placement etc...While doing this I a couple of times I booted to a black screen with no post. Shut down and reboot again and voila ...up comes the XP Logo. While continuing to diagnose I got no post again yesterday afternoon. Restarted and still no post...no video no nothing.

I dismantled everything from the box, I mean everything. I cleaned out the case. inspected all the parts even took out the power supply--just like a new build but with existing parts. Put back the minimal needed to boot and checked my work all the way...The big moment came to hit the power button last night about 12:00 midnight.... I hit the power switch and-nothing. happens....except the tiniest poof of smoke...off the pcb board of the motherboard. No post. no video. just a black screen. and that poof of smoke. .oh despair...what to do.

Well Newegg is looking good to me...I've been on AGP and have been looking to upgrade...I know vista dx10 etc is coming...but...

So I took advantage of the super prices on AMD chips, got myself a 4800 dual core, EVGA 7900Gt and an Asus A8n5X (which I just used for my son's new build). New parts coming via new egg by wednesday.

I'll take my Power supply down to a local vendor for testing to make sure that wasn't the culprit but I suspect it was my motherboard for some reason. Honestly I'm just guessing as this was the excuse needed to upgrade I guess....just don't tell my wife that...

I just can't believe three days ago I was running okay with no problems...and it all started with a reinstall of windows...These offending parts will go in my project bin I'll try to fix them when I need something to do in retirement.
        sigpic
        |TG-1st|Grunt
        ARMA Admin (retired)
        Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed