• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killer Nic

What do you guys think of this?

Killer Network Interface Card

I guess some people out there think it is an overpriced joke:

Networking Forums

Just wondering what the smart kids thought about this issue. Guess we won't know more until the specs are released, but what's this guy talking about: "I'm pretty sure the better Intel NICS will offload TCP processing.... and for several $100 less." Is there a "card" similar to this on the market already that will improve online gaming. Keep in mind, I know very little about computers other than mine is currently working...i think.

THanks for any insight.
    Dirt013

Re: Killer Nic

In theory, this could have help performance by a decent amount. Coming from the old BBS days, performance was ALWAYS increased when using a self-contained modem with its own CPU vs. a WinModem. With network cards, they rely heavily on your primary CPU for processing. Depending on the game, these cycles may not be given up as readily as you would want them to.

If I had the extra cash to spend and wasn't in the middle of a bunch of work on the house, I'd probably pick one of these suckers up.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Re: Killer Nic

Well, good or not, it does generate a fair amount of forum traffic :

Discussion here, and here.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
      X