Configuration advice needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Configuration advice needed

When I built my system I set up two 250GB drives in RAID 0 because I thought it would improve performance. Now, from what I've read it appears I'm likely getting a negligible speed increase at best, and since I'm concerned about data loss (family photos) I'm considering other configurations. I primarily use the system to play BF2 and surf the web, but I also have a lot of digital video waiting to be edited. So, which configuration do you guys recommend:

1. RAID 1 using the two drives for redundancy.

2. A single drive for Windows and other programs with a RAID 1 array for the data (photos, video, music, etc.). If I go this route is it worth getting a Raptor as the primary system drive or is a WD SE16 sufficient?

3. A single system drive and RAID 0 for the data, which can be backed-up to the system drive provided I get a big one.

4. Stick with the current configuration and get an external HD for backing-up important data.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
    |TG|Melee
    Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Re: Configuration advice needed

If you are concerned about data loss, then you need to think about offline storage -- tapes, CD's, DVD's, extra HD you keep someplace else, etc. RAID won't protect your computer from a lightning strike taking out everything.
    Battlefield Admin() ()
    [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
    [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
    | for | |

Comment

I don't really see the requirement for RAID unless you want data redundancy. RAID 0 is overrated and won't help for gaming. It's better used for tasks that require disk writes.

I've been pretty happy with load times on a single IDE 8MB cache HD. Load times don't really bother me so if it takes a minute to load a map I'm alright. If you want to save money, I think you'll be fine with WD SE16. WD have some great hard drives. The Raptor drives are nice but I don't want to get such a small drive for the price you pay.

The thing with RAID is nothing is hardware controlled. The expensive RAID cards will be hardware controlled but most consumer solutions are software based. I think you'd get a better performance increase and better safety with hardware controlled RAID. I've heard of annoyances with RAID 1 where if the computer crashes or something happens that could affect the data the array has to be reverified as a precaution. This means you have to wait for the data to be checked and it could take 45 minutes.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by |TG|Melee View Post
        When I built my system I set up two 250GB drives in RAID 0 because I thought it would improve performance. Now, from what I've read it appears I'm likely getting a negligible speed increase at best, and since I'm concerned about data loss (family photos) I'm considering other configurations. I primarily use the system to play BF2 and surf the web, but I also have a lot of digital video waiting to be edited. So, which configuration do you guys recommend:

1. RAID 1 using the two drives for redundancy.

2. A single drive for Windows and other programs with a RAID 1 array for the data (photos, video, music, etc.). If I go this route is it worth getting a Raptor as the primary system drive or is a WD SE16 sufficient?

3. A single system drive and RAID 0 for the data, which can be backed-up to the system drive provided I get a big one.

4. Stick with the current configuration and get an external HD for backing-up important data.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Hey Melee, I say stick with the current configuration and get/built a cheap external for backup, I mean HD are so cheap now. I can't stress the importance of backing up your data enough, which a lot of people ignore.
        Slow is Smooth. Smooth is Fast!

Comment

Personally the very marginal benefit from raid 0 has never been worth it since I usually burn up a hard drive a year. For backups, I run two or more standard drives and have an acronis backup image on one of the non boot drives and a simple copy paste copy of the my documents folder on another.

True lighting could strike or a fire, but in the event of my frequent hard drive failures I won't lose anything precious. Internal HDs are so cheap, just got a 400 GB one from Fry's for $100.

Comment

I used to have my boot drive on RAID0. 2 Seagte 160GB SATA drives. That loaded BF2 maps up so that I could see 1:45m until start of game.
            Then I played overclocking too much and lost the array (could not restore with Norton Ghost). I restored to one of the former two drives. Now I loaded up the map with 1:30m until the game starts.
            RAID0 loads large files really fast. I got 90MB/s. Booting should also be faster, but my nVidia nforce4 and Geforce drivers hold everything up so long that it doesn't matter any more.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X