Defrag issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defrag issues

I've discovered a new depth to the stupidity of windows 2000. I've just defragged my hard drive, and at the end a dialog box popped up to indicate the drive was fully defragged. The pretty colored bars in defrag suggest otherwise, as does the post-defrag report

Volume fragmentation
    Total fragmentation = 10 %
    File fragmentation = 20 %
    Free space fragmentation = 0 %

20% fragmentation doesn't fit my definition of a proper defrag. In the past, I've had 0% fragmentation from 2000, so why the sudden change, and more importantly, how to fix it?
    BFCL TF2 league admin

Re: Dense defrag

How much disk space do you have left or is free? Some big files might stay partially defraged in a few places.

Comment

Yeah, if tehre is not enough free space it can't defrag properly
      |TG| Lorian
      Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

I get the problem on all 3 of my windows partitions. The free space is :

C: 5GB
        D: 10GB
        E: 7GB
        BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

To do a proper defrag, it needs a certain percentage of space, memory serving. It's like 10%. (ie, if you have a 100GB drive, you need 10GB free space to do a proper defrag) but could be as high as 20%. The only times I've had partial or "bad" defrags were from insufficient free space.
          a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
          Celibacy is not Hereditary.
          Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
          Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
          Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

All my partitions exceed the % free space that defrag claims to require (15%)
            BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Try using one of the freeware or shareware defraging programs. They might work better than the standard Win2000 one.

http://www.download.com/O-O-Defrag-P...ml?tag=lst-0-2
              http://www.download.com/Power-Defrag...ml?tag=lst-0-1
              http://www.download.com/Mst-Defrag-H...ml?tag=lst-0-8

Comment

Thanks. I'll give one of them a try.
                BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Diskeeper 7.0

Its an old version, but its freeware. Always leaves me with 0% fragmentation.
                  Steam Community: | |

Comment

I've been using PerfectDisk for years now. I keep it loaded in the background. It takes up very little memory and I have it run weekly to defrag all my drives. It claims to defrag in one pass and does a tremendous job. And if you have a network, you can schedule defrags across the network.
                    |TG-12th| asch
                    sigpic

Comment

Windows defrag isn't that great. You can have 50% of your drive free and it still won't defrag your drive very well at all. It can't defrag your drive properly under ANY circumstances.

Kormendi recommends Diskkeeper 7.0. I agree with him. It will actually do the job properly.
                      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
                        Windows defrag isn't that great. You can have 50% of your drive free and it still won't defrag your drive very well at all. It can't defrag your drive properly under ANY circumstances.

Kormendi recommends Diskkeeper 7.0. I agree with him. It will actually do the job properly.
                        <------ another diskkeeper user... will never go back
                        From Adam Webb

Comment

I've also had good experiences with Diskkeeper.
                          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

One of the big problems with the windows defrag is that if something tries to access the disk it will restart. You have to shutdown ALL programs running (including the screensaver) before running the defrag.

I've never used diskeeper but I think I will give it a go sometime.
                            Retired 6th DB

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post

I've always found this somewhat amusing :D

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X