Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Core 2 Duo already being put out of business?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Core 2 Duo already being put out of business?

Intel already is getting geared up for the release of there Core 2 Duo Killer... The Core 2 Quadro, 4 cores that kill.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/09/...n_the_rampage/

They've got some issues to work with right now but im sure that they'll fix the bugs and have a great Quad Core CPU for us not to far down the road here.
    Oyee

Re: Core 2 Duo already being put out of business?

I have the ultimate idea! I'm gonna make one with 5 cores!

(apologies to Harland Williams)
    Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

From the article:

We had to do the math as well: More than two Core 2 "Conroe" units do not fit in the existing LGA 775 casing, as the surface is simply not large enough. With a surface area of 143 mm2 per Core 2 dual core, at least 572 mm2 would be required to fit four units (a maximum of 625 mm2 is available). The chips' elongated shape (10.48 mm x 13.63 mm), however, prevents four of them from being accommodated. It is thus safe to say that Intel has reached its limit with dual dies and four cores with 65-nm production. A slimmed-down version with 2 MB temporary storage each would make four chips feasible, but then the maximum power dissipation of over 200 W would no longer be economically justifiable. We are confident that the next step will be to get four processors on a single die with shared L2 cache.

But that is just the beginning. The conversion to 45-nanometer production technology is slated for mid-2007, and starting in 2009, thanks to EUV lithography, Intel plans to manufacture 32-nanometer devices, at which point - if everything works as envisioned - the company could have a two-year technology edge over most other chipmakers.
      Oyee

Comment

Originally posted by icky View Post
        I have the ultimate idea! I'm gonna make one with 5 cores!

(apologies to Harland Williams)
        :icon_lol:

Two Something About Mary references in one week!!

Hitchhiker: Bingo, man, bingo. 7-Minute Abs. And we guarantee just as good a workout as the 8-minute folk.
        Ted: You guarantee it? That's - how do you do that?
        Hitchhiker: If you're not happy with the first 7 minutes, we're gonna send you the extra minute free. You see? That's it. That's our motto. That's where we're comin' from. That's from "A" to "B".
        Ted: That's right. That's - that's good. That's good. Unless, of course, somebody comes up with 6-Minute Abs. Then you're in trouble, huh?
        [Hitchhiker convulses]
        Hitchhiker: No! No, no, not 6! I said 7. Nobody's comin' up with 6. Who works out in 6 minutes? You won't even get your heart goin, not even a mouse on a wheel.
        Ted: That - good point.

Comment

Sounds like Intel is making another EE-like thing. (Though I may be wrong.)

Comment

Until they figure out how to make the 2nd core useful for more than just mp3 ripping, I don't see 4 cores doing anything more impressive then 2 and it certainly is going to make that chip more expensive.

The first thing I've read about the 2nd core was a game using it to manage the AI, now thats just one game thinking about doing it in the future. I think its safe to say 4 core is getting ahead of itself. If you look at Tom's 3D gaming section you are talking No improvement clock per clock in 4 core vs 2. Considering the die size on a quad you would expect them to cost a pretty penny more than a duo.

I don't see quads being utilized by the main gaming community for a while, though there will still be that set that "has" to have it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiner View Post
              Until they figure out how to make the 2nd core useful for more than just mp3 ripping, I don't see 4 cores doing anything more impressive then 2 and it certainly is going to make that chip more expensive.

The first thing I've read about the 2nd core was a game using it to manage the AI, now thats just one game thinking about doing it in the future. I think its safe to say 4 core is getting ahead of itself. If you look at Tom's 3D gaming section you are talking No improvement clock per clock in 4 core vs 2. Considering the die size on a quad you would expect them to cost a pretty penny more than a duo.

I don't see quads being utilized by the main gaming community for a while, though there will still be that set that "has" to have it.
              Thats not what im looking at, the fact that 4 cores are coming out puts programers of the future to write for them, but as it stands it will drive the costs of the other chips down. Self competition is good, competition for AMD is better, driving CPU costs down = good for consumer.
              Oyee

Comment

Man, I need to get up-to-date on processor technology. I had no idea that these dual-core processors were essentially multiprocessor systems on a single chip. I figured from the name that it was more like multiple processors handling the same instruction pipeline on one chip.

I suppose we have to wait for new OS versions (vista?) to enable threads split over different cores.

Comment

Some programs already make use of the multiple threads. Unfortunately for us gamers, games don't really do a good job of doing so - albeit some have half-assedly attempted. The promise of multithreaded games has been ever present for the past year but no one has delivered, and I see no reason why Vista itself would change that.

What I think will change it, however, is the PS3. PS3 titles will be multithreaded to take advantage of the Cell processor, and hopefully that will get programmers in gear for the PC as well.

AMD also has it's own joke of an "answer" to the Core 2 Duo. It's called "4x4" and involves running two dual-core CPU's + four graphics cards for a total of, you guessed it! - four CPU's and four GPU's. The performance increase is negligable in games, but what the heck! Four cores, bro!
                  A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

The question becomes when is scaleable programming going to become a reality? When are the chip manufacturers going to produce an useable instruction set for these multicore chips that will allow programmers to create a product (games) scaleable to the features (cores) of the chips the manufacturers are producing?

Or are they? Does that question make sense?
                    sigpic

Comment

I still want 4 cores for my Programming Box, that and a bunch of raptors...

Though I suspect for ease of use I will just have to make due with one of the MacBookPros Core 2 Duos when they come out. 2 cores is better than 1!

Az
                      [age-c1][command]

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
                        Some programs already make use of the multiple threads. Unfortunately for us gamers, games don't really do a good job of doing so - albeit some have half-assedly attempted. The promise of multithreaded games has been ever present for the past year but no one has delivered, and I see no reason why Vista itself would change that.
                        Well there are two distinct levels of support for any kind of hardware. There is application support, which means that the apps themselves write specialized code to utilise the hardware. Then there is OS support, which means that all applications running on the OS automatically gain the benefits of the hardware. I am assuming that no current OS has built-in support for these processors.

It sounds like you are talking about games which code their own support for the new processors, since I would be totally shocked to find out that any game does not take advantage of multithreading. I use it when I write pretty basic apps. Anything which involves background processing, like AI and network connectivity and physics calculations, makes a perfect candidate for threads.

Comment

Originally posted by icky View Post
                          I am assuming that no current OS has built-in support for these processors.
                          I thought that server OS's had support for multi-cores. Wouldn't make much sense to mass produce them if someone wasn't using them.
                          -33rd- BaneII
                          Smokers & Jokers

Comment

The benchmarks don't show significant improvements with two cores versus one in most all games. Some titles show 10-15% difference max. I personally went from a 3500+ single core to a 4800+ dual core (2.2Ghz sigle core vs. 2.4Ghz dual) and didn't see much difference.
                            A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

I don't see much difference in game with dual core processors. There are still gaming related advantages such as alt-tabbing. I can alt-tab out of a game and start a web browser as if I weren't running a game at all. It helps do multiple things at once.

Quad core might be a waste of money for gamers. For other workstation uses, it should come in very handy. Rendering scenes in 3D apps like 3DSM or Maya will be much better since those are already written for multithreading.

I don't really care if Intel is releasing quad core so early. It just means when I do need the computing power, the manufacturing process will be mature and hopefully affordable.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X