New Case

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Case

So I am going to be building a new computer in the next couple of months, e6300 Core2 duo based, and I am looking for a new case to replace my current Xaser III which has just gotten to dang heavy. I was wondering what you guys would recommend.

I am looking for it to be an aluminum case, Lian-Li and silverstone are nice, and at least mid tower possibly full tower. So far I have only looked at newegg quickly and if you know of any other manufacturer that is good just provide a link. I like a clean case, nothing really over the top, with a possible window on the side.
    -BB|KillerTarget

Re: New Case

Man, I'm trying to remember the name of the company that made my wife's case. It was VERY inexpensive, decent quality and looks sharp. Very light. It was recommended a LOT in this forum a few years back...

Not that you want to hear me go on about it if I can't remember what it's called, though, right? I want to say it was made by Dynapower? And the model was a Neptune? But I don't see it on their webpage...

If you don't get any other recommendations, I would go to Newegg, and just start drilling down. There are 8 aluminum, mid-tower, ATX cases for under $75, and one of them is a $28 Enermax!
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

CHENMING CMU-AL-602-SL-W Silver/Grey Aluminum Entry Level Server Computer Case - Retail
      Antec Performance I P-160W Silver 1.2mm Anodized Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

These are two that I recommend. The Chenming is cheaper than the Antec.

I have the Chenming and love it. It has rounded edges on the inside. I've never cut myself on this case. The 5.25" drive bays have rails so it's easy to slide in optical drives. There are 2 removeable hard drive cages.

The Antec is a newer design. It has 120mm fan spots instead of 80mm. It also seems to have the rails for the 5.25" bays. The hard drives look like they are mounted in a way to better hide cables.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Browse newegg, just remember, read up on everything, its your case that you'll have to live with. Dont be afraid to read more than 5 reviews on a case, pick a style that you like (Rails, colors, size, weight, mods, fans, ect) and post it back here and im sure someone here can find something that you're looking for.
        Oyee

Comment

I bought the Antec P180 last year, and I love it.

It has dual compartments - one for HDDs and PS, the other for motherboard, optical and floppy drives. Each compartment is cooled seperated by low-noise fans. It comes with silicone grommets to mount your HDDs on (reduce noise from vibration) and the PS sits in a silcone lined brace as well, again to reduce vibration and thus noice. Also, you don't screw any of your drives to the actual case itself. Rails are provided for the optical drives, and they easily slide in and out without even opening the case (you'd still need to open it to connect/disconnect your IDE cables, and the HDDs and FDD are mounted in caddies which easily silde in and out on plastic runs.

The case walls are a triple layer of aluminum, plastic, aluminum, also great for keep noise cointained inside the case. There is also a double-hinged door on the front (closed to have a clean look and minimize noise, open to access your optical drives, etc).

Finally, it is a "Super Mid Tower" - larger than a mid tower, smaller than a full tower. The actual specs can all be found on the Antec website. Go check it out.

I haven't had many cases, but this is far and away the best case I've ever had.

[drill][medic][conduct][tg-c1][tpf-c1]
          [ma-c2][taw-c1]

Principles of good Sandbox Etiquette:
          Assume good faith - Be polite, please! - Work toward agreement. - Argue facts, not personalities. - Concede a point when you have no response to it, or admit when you disagree based on intuition or taste. - Be civil. - Be prepared to apologize. In animated discussions, we often say things we later wish we hadn't. Say so. - Forgive and forget. - Recognize your own biases and keep them in check. - Give praise when due.

Treat others as you would have them treat you

Comment

I just bought the Aluminus case from TigerDirect bundled with a 550 psu. It was similar to this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...113&CatId=1521

I like the case with the exception of the plastic door and I miss the tooless window handle to open the viewable side like on my old case.

Reviews:
            http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Ultra/Aluminus
            http://www.pro-clockers.com/reviews.php?id=95
            http://hi-techreviews.com/reviews_2006/Aluminus/P1.htm

Comment

I bought an Antec Sonata II case in May. Even after adding another 120mm fan and a noisy graphics card, the system is still quiet. My only complaint is that it's a bit on the small side so wire clutter becomes a problem.

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15139

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

Yeah, I also have a Sonata II - LOVE it...

see: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...ata#post447683

Comment

I have a Sonata too! After several months of running it with a bit of paper hanging over the retina-burning blue lights on the front, I finally disconnected them. Other than that, I love it! :)
                  Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Outpost has the Sonata II for $85 with free shipping.

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4470276
                    New to TG?

Comment

I have this one and it's pretty sweet.

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16811112099

The only problem is just wire clutter. My PSU seems bigger than most (it's an OCZ 520w Powerstream). Anyway wire clutter is the biggest problem. I have 3 optical drives and 3 hard drives. And oh yeah I have the Thermaltake Big Typhoon as my heatsink. That thing is huge. That's what takes up most of the space. I just like the simple black look of it.

Comment

I got this one from Newegg. Antec Performance I P180 Silver Fantastic case. Cool and quiet.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

Thanks for getting me on the right track. So far I like the one that Jmaker has linked to on newegg. I got my Xaser III for the door and all of that, but when I really started to use my machine, I noticed that the door became annoying when having to move the case for LAN parties and some other things. Price really is not an issue because if the case will last me a long time it is worth the extra money up front. As for a PSU, I will be buying it separately so if it does not come with one it does not matter to me.

All the other cases that have been linked to so far are nice cases, I will not dispute that, but the look of the Lian Li case with just a basic front is very appealing to me. Has anyone bought any of the PC-V1000 or PC-V2000 series by Lian Li? I like that design and was wondering if they are a good case to get.

Little story about spending the extra money on a case.
                          I was carrying my Xaser III to my momís car a few months ago and was walking down a slight hill and lost my footing causing me to drop the case onto the concrete of the driveway. The case had very little damage to it upon first inspection and had held up relatively fine, and saved all the internal components. Later when I was working on my case I noticed that one of the front feet had a slight dimple where it should have been flat. That foot took most of the impact and bent in about 5 mm at the most. A friend of mine did almost the same thing as me before and his case bowed outwards a couple of inches in the front along the 5 1/4 in external drives. His case was a cheap steel case from a no name company.
                          -BB|KillerTarget

Comment

My good friend has the LIAN LI PC-V2000B. Its so nice and big. I'm getting one for sure on my next build. I currently have the Thermaltake Shark. It's nice and solid but I want a bigger case to fit my WC better. Also for my HTPC I will be ordering this case http://www.ahanix.com/products/mce/mce_701.php.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

I did my first new build about a year and a half ago. I went a bit over the top spending about 140 on my case. I got a Thermaltake Shark-Black. Today I think I might have liked the silver just as well. Its a great case with a unique side panel that promotes unbelievable heat dispersion.

Go here to see it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811133143

Id recommend this case to anyone...PS it doesn't come with a power supply. I bought an Antec Trupower 2 550 W PSU to go with it.

Granted it's a bit price but I have to look it at every day so I wanted something that was good to look at. I have a 4 year old and it's great to be able to lock the front door so only those with access to the key can turn the machine on.

Good luck
                              sigpic
                              |TG-1st|Grunt
                              ARMA Admin (retired)
                              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse