Ghosting a Hard Drive.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghosting a Hard Drive.

I am trying to make an exact duplicate of my hard drive. I want it to be my new boot drive. I am running Ghost and coping from a IDE drive to a Sata drive. Now here is my problem. I get about 99.9 % done and it quits saying I have a program running from the original drive. I have tried this three times. I have shut down everything that is running in the background. Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong?

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Re: Ghosting a Hard Drive.

Originally posted by TG_Bubba View Post
    I am trying to make an exact duplicate of my hard drive. I want it to be my new boot drive. I am running Ghost and coping from a IDE drive to a Sata drive. Now here is my problem. I get about 99.9 % done and it quits saying I have a program running from the original drive. I have tried this three times. I have shut down everything that is running in the background. Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong?
    Try using Ghost to create a Ghost Boot Disk and then boot off that to make your image. I have found images made that way to be more reliable than ones made by running Ghost from within your Windows operating system.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Comment

Did exactly what Apophis said when I got my new drive a few weeks ago and it worked great. I was going IDE to IDE but I would assume that shouldn't make a difference.

Comment

hmm... does ghost let you create a CD boot disk?

Comment

Yes, the secret is not to ghost the drive in Windows but go way down to the sacred DOS level.

Comment

side question related to this:

If you ghost an old boot drive onto a new one with the intent for it to replace your current HD as the boot drive: how does windows react on first boot?

Wouldn't it have problems seeing as how the old HD has the wrong primary disk controller, etc?

Comment

From what I have found out and correct me if I'm wrong, when you have completed the Ghosting of the boot drive, remove the old drive and boot from the new one. You will like in my case have to go in and enable sata in the bios to recognize the drive.

Comment

Originally posted by BHack View Post
                  side question related to this:

If you ghost an old boot drive onto a new one with the intent for it to replace your current HD as the boot drive: how does windows react on first boot?

Wouldn't it have problems seeing as how the old HD has the wrong primary disk controller, etc?
                  I think the primary disk controller only needs to be changed to generic if your changing motherboards.

Comment

Ok, I clone my drive to a new SATA drive. I shut the computer down, powered up and went to the boot menu. I selected my new HD and it will not boot up.

Any suggestions?

Comment

Yes. Go into the BIOS and check the boot order. Make sure that the SATA drive is in the list. I once had that problem and working with the boot order and boot device screens helped eventually.

Comment

I did that. All the SATA are seen in the Bios. I disconnected all the drives except the new cloned SATA and still can not get it to boot. I reconnect the old and it works great. I can access the SATA drive once windows open on the old one. Everything is there it just will not boot from it.

Comment

Then there is fixboot:

http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=313

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse