Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building PC Rig! Help Wanted!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Building PC Rig! Help Wanted!

    Well, with the help of many of the other members here at TG I've been able to drilll down the products to pick and choose the parts I want. I feel a bit guilty making a new post, but I feel it's necessary to make things more organized for this topic. Now I only wonder if everything I've got is compatible with everything else, so if one of you pros out there could take a few minutes to check it out I would be very appreciative! Here's what I got so far, I don't plan on doing overclocking so thats why I'm going with the memory and Motherboard I wanted.

    NEC 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE/ATAPI Model ND-3550A - OEM

    Antec Performance I P180 Silver 0.8mm cold rolled steel for durability through the majority of chassis, 1.0mm cold rolled steel around the 4x HDD area ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
    Model #: P180

    Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

    SAPPHIRE 100150SR Radeon X1900XTX 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

    ENERMAX Whisper II EG565P-VE FMA(24P) ATX12V 535W Power Supply - Retail

    CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model VS2GBKIT533D2 -

    GIGABYTE GA-965G-DS3 Socket T (LGA 775) Intel G965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    Model #: GA-965G-DS3

    Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6400 - Retail
    Model #: BX80557E6400

    ViewSonic VX922

    Total = $1550

    Thoughts? My main concern is compatibilty and that im missing out on something. Tell me what you think!
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
    Einstein

  • #2
    Re: Building PC Rig! Help Wanted!

    From a quick look over of the system everything seems to be inline. I think the weakest point of this system is currently going to be your PSU. The motherboard you are getting I have been thinking of when I build a system based on the E3600 later this year, let me know how you like it later on. Everything should be compatible.

    I have the ND-3540A DVD burner by NEC and have never burnt a coaster on it. The computers at my high school had the 3530 I think and I thought if those drives can take the abuse of a high school then they should work very well and it has while being quiet.

    If you want a little fast boot time and wouldn't mind spending the extra money you could look into a raptor drive. While I have personally not owned one a couple of my friends have a raptor and they love it, I am sure others here will tell you the same thing.
    -BB|KillerTarget

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Building PC Rig! Help Wanted!

      Well, you said my PSU is the weakest point, but why?
      "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
      Einstein

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Building PC Rig! Help Wanted!

        You might need a 600W PSU for that X1900XTX. It probably uses over 100W during gaming. I did some searching and you might have to look for a PSU that can handle 30A on a 12V rail.

        http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1055220
        http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1056406

        - It's who you game with.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Building PC Rig! Help Wanted!

          I have an Antec PS and haven't had a minutes problem.
          The Old Guy
          kin3
          sigpic


          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Building PC Rig! Help Wanted!

            OCZ 600W - Heartily recommended. One of the (very) few good PSU's with split 12V rails strong enough for the X1900XTX. Not too expensive, either.

            Everything else looks very good.
            A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

            "$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Building PC Rig! Help Wanted!

              Quick recommendation "Sound Blaster X-Fi".

              It'll blow away any On-Board sound, and most other cards.


              And just to let you know, ATi released the X1950XTX with REAL GDDR4 memory and higher clock's... Just thought you'd like the info.

              419 for it on newegg.com
              Oyee

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Building PC Rig! Help Wanted!

                Originally posted by Black_V!per View Post
                Quick recommendation "Sound Blaster X-Fi".

                It'll blow away any On-Board sound, and most other cards.


                And just to let you know, ATi released the X1950XTX with REAL GDDR4 memory and higher clock's... Just thought you'd like the info.

                419 for it on newegg.com
                Ya I heard about that, and that is in fact the reason why I am now buying the X1900XTX. Its drop in price was the reason. I got some new memory I'm looking at but remember I'm still a memory noob so shoot me if I'm wrong but aside from no heat spreaders this looks like a good buy.->CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) System Memory Model VS2GBKIT667D2 - Retail
                "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
                Einstein

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Building PC Rig! Help Wanted!

                  Originally posted by Black_V!per View Post
                  419 for it on newegg.com
                  419? Nigerian money scam? You mean 411? :icon_cool
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Building PC Rig! Help Wanted!

                    He meant $419.
                    A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

                    "$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Building PC Rig! Help Wanted!

                      Originally posted by =Sarc= View Post
                      You might need a 600W PSU for that X1900XTX. It probably uses over 100W during gaming. I did some searching and you might have to look for a PSU that can handle 30A on a 12V rail.

                      http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1055220
                      http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1056406
                      Firstly, because his is a dual 12V rail PSU, it compares to a ~35A single rail PSU. You aren't going to get a 30A rail on a dual-rail PSU on anything under 1kW units :D

                      GPU's haven't pulled more wattage over time as a general rule. They've been pretty rock solid on the power consuption, which is usually about 80W during game load.

                      If you're planning on running your system stock, and don't have an excessive number of case lights, high amperage fans, HDD's and other items that draw on the 12v, you should have plenty of power.

                      Honestly, once you hit the 500W power mark with a good reputable PSU brand, the only power issues I've ever seen people run into insofar as power shortages is from overclocking and case accessories or defective PSU's. Mathing it out, most stock systems today still only have a critical load draw capacity of about 350W. (Not that you can run them on 350W PSUs, because of how the power rails work, but that's another post)

                      Once you start overclocking you increase your power consumption exponentially. So if you plan on doing some overclocking or making the case all pretty with your cold cathode lighting and using those hair-dryer delta fans at 3A each, look at upgrading to the OCZ, otherwise you should be fine.
                      a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                      Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                      Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                      Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                      Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Building PC Rig! Help Wanted!

                        Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
                        He meant $419.
                        Ah! Helps if I actually click the link, huh?
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Building PC Rig! Help Wanted!

                          Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                          Firstly, because his is a dual 12V rail PSU, it compares to a ~35A single rail PSU. You aren't going to get a 30A rail on a dual-rail PSU on anything under 1kW units :D

                          GPU's haven't pulled more wattage over time as a general rule. They've been pretty rock solid on the power consuption, which is usually about 80W during game load.

                          If you're planning on running your system stock, and don't have an excessive number of case lights, high amperage fans, HDD's and other items that draw on the 12v, you should have plenty of power.

                          Honestly, once you hit the 500W power mark with a good reputable PSU brand, the only power issues I've ever seen people run into insofar as power shortages is from overclocking and case accessories or defective PSU's. Mathing it out, most stock systems today still only have a critical load draw capacity of about 350W. (Not that you can run them on 350W PSUs, because of how the power rails work, but that's another post)

                          Once you start overclocking you increase your power consumption exponentially. So if you plan on doing some overclocking or making the case all pretty with your cold cathode lighting and using those hair-dryer delta fans at 3A each, look at upgrading to the OCZ, otherwise you should be fine.
                          What he said ^

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Building PC Rig! Help Wanted!

                            Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                            Firstly, because his is a dual 12V rail PSU, it compares to a ~35A single rail PSU. You aren't going to get a 30A rail on a dual-rail PSU on anything under 1kW units :D

                            GPU's haven't pulled more wattage over time as a general rule. They've been pretty rock solid on the power consuption, which is usually about 80W during game load.

                            If you're planning on running your system stock, and don't have an excessive number of case lights, high amperage fans, HDD's and other items that draw on the 12v, you should have plenty of power.

                            Honestly, once you hit the 500W power mark with a good reputable PSU brand, the only power issues I've ever seen people run into insofar as power shortages is from overclocking and case accessories or defective PSU's. Mathing it out, most stock systems today still only have a critical load draw capacity of about 350W. (Not that you can run them on 350W PSUs, because of how the power rails work, but that's another post)

                            Once you start overclocking you increase your power consumption exponentially. So if you plan on doing some overclocking or making the case all pretty with your cold cathode lighting and using those hair-dryer delta fans at 3A each, look at upgrading to the OCZ, otherwise you should be fine.
                            Better safe than sorry, right? I haven't looked at the Enermax ratings but if the amps on the 12V rail is good enough I guess there won't be any problem there. It's the wattage consumption that also has to be looked at during load. The X1900XTX uses a lot more than other cards.

                            - It's who you game with.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Building PC Rig! Help Wanted!

                              Well, new question, say i wanted a 256 X1900XT, what psu size would i need for that?
                              "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
                              Einstein

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X