Motherboard Q: finding out what speed of processor it can handle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motherboard Q: finding out what speed of processor it can handle

Howdy, I recently inherited a PC from a friend when he got a new one, and I'm wondering how far I can upgrade it. It's a 2.4GHz Sony Vaio (PCVRX850) and I've been able to work out two of the three upgrades I want -- RAM and video card -- but not what kind of processor it can take. How can I find that last bit of information out?
    2142: |TG-Irr| Silverfish
    BF2: |TG-Irr| Maus

Re: Motherboard Q: finding out what speed of processor it can handle

Originally posted by Maus View Post
    Howdy, I recently inherited a PC from a friend when he got a new one, and I'm wondering how far I can upgrade it. It's a 2.4GHz Sony Vaio (PCVRX850) and I've been able to work out two of the three upgrades I want -- RAM and video card -- but not what kind of processor it can take. How can I find that last bit of information out?

im sorry but you wont upgrade the CPU or the Video card very high. I had a "friend" get one of these thinking the same thing, get it cheap and upgrade the video card. Its only got a 4x agp and can only support 1.5 gigs of ram. The problem he had was his PSU was a 250, which is the exact ammount it needed to run stock. You cant upgrade PSUs in sony machines because they are case specific.

here is the link i found with some specs on it. What kind of graphics card are you thinking about getting?

http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Sony_VAI...udio_PCV_RX850
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

I was going to pop a 7900 GS into it, and send it up to 1.5Gb RAM. The inability to upgrade the processor is a fairly big stumbling block though, if that's true.

Comment

you wont be able to fit that card considering its a agp4x slot on that mb. you could do a 7800 agp but it would be a waist considering that card is a 8x. your best bet is to sell it and get a better on.
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR] View Post
          you wont be able to fit that card considering its a agp4x slot on that mb. you could do a 7800 agp but it would be a waist considering that card is a 8x. your best bet is to sell it and get a better on.
          I too think you should sell it and get a new on(e).

I've got the same problem you got (Just different). I've got a PC that has a great vid card, but to upgrade the memory and cpu just wouldnt be worth the money. A whole new PC would be best, and with the prices now, you could build or have one built that'll be 100x's better than what you've got now.

(Selling it peice by peice might yeild you more money.)
          Oyee

Comment

All righty, I guess upgrading is out then. Thanks guys.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...