Asus A8n5x & Athlon x2 4800+ Dual Core CPU

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus A8n5x & Athlon x2 4800+ Dual Core CPU

My Asus A8V Deluxe died on me a few weeks back and I took the opportunity to upgrade to a PCIE based vid card and MOBO> My new rig includes the Asus A8n5X MOBO and the X2 4800+ dual core cpu. I never would've paid the price they wanted six months ago for that chip but with the extreme price drop I jumped on it even though skt 939 is a dying breed. All the reviews of this dual core chip were all stellar.

I knew when I purchased it that for gaming I wouldn't see too much of a benefit. Both cores are rated at 2.4ghz and my old rig had a 3800 + AMD chip that was rated at 2.4ghz--so I'm on even par there.

A couple of things I'm a little let down however--With my old Asus mobo I was able to OC my old cpu by 10% using the Asus auto o/c function. This meant I was actually running at around 2.6 ghz. With my new MOBO (also Asus) I've tried to OC using the auto o/c function and it won't post. I also tried 8% and 5% and same thing. Just won't post or CTD almost immediately. I'm startring to read up on overclocking now and am going to attempt doing it manually. I have an idea that if I step up the voltage on the RAM by a point or two this might keep the cpu stable with a 10% O/C. The other thing I noticed is I get hung up sometime when doing alt tab out of programs...though most of the time, due to the dual core, tabbing out is rapid and speed and doesn't cause any hiccup at all....just occaisionally will I experience a hiccup where it gets hung up longer than I'd expect--I suspect this has something to do with the dual core architecture but don't really know.

If you've got some experience with this particular chip or mobo I'd appreciated some feed back in a reply or pm...

PS I run 4 x 512 kingston value Ram. I'm upgrading to some corsair XMS twin 2048 soon. On my list of things to check out is memtest for the current ram. I ran memtest for the current ram in my last mobo for several hours with no errors but who knows how the new mobo & cpu configuuration affected that--so I'll be running it again.
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Re: Asus A8n5x & Athlon x2 4800+ Dual Core CPU

I'm not sure if upgrading the RAM would give better overclocks or even much better performance. You're just sinking in money into RAM that won't be used in the next major upgrade. I would keep the current RAM.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Re: Asus A8n5x & Athlon x2 4800+ Dual Core CPU

That's good advice Sarc but I got an irksome desire to have 2 1Gb sticks so I can run at 400 mhz and at 1T command rate . I know it won't make too much of a difference except in benchmarks but I'm slightly crazed over it. I plan on keeping this rig for another 2-3 years anyhow and I've got another machine laying around that I'd like to get up and running...all its missing is some ram...so now that I've rationalized it like no tomorrow....
      sigpic
      |TG-1st|Grunt
      ARMA Admin (retired)
      Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed