NTFS Security Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NTFS Security Help

I want to format and reinstall my OS on the C drive. I have alot of files on other drives pics apps mp3s etc. How do I reinstall on one drive and still have control of my files without NTFS thinking they belong to another user? Thanx

Re: NTFS Security Help

your apps will be your problem becuase they are linked to the registry. So you will have to reinstall those. but your pics and music will be fine.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR] View Post
      your apps will be your problem becuase they are linked to the registry. So you will have to reinstall those. but your pics and music will be fine.
      Are you sure???? My logic is like this. If someone steals my comp they can't get into the c: drive because it is password protected. They can't just remove another drive and make use of all those files. That would mean the other drives have no protection. If the C drive is protected aren't the other drives too?

Comment

i could take my HDs out of the drive now and put them in another machine that already had windows on another drive and use all the files that arent registry dependant. Music is a file, along with pics independent of the registry.

and there are plenty of ways to get around an XP password.
        -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR] View Post
          i could take my HDs out of the drive now and put them in another machine that already had windows on another drive and use all the files that arent registry dependant. Music is a file, along with pics independent of the registry.

and there are plenty of ways to get around an XP password.
          Does that go for Win2000 also??

Comment

NTFS is just the filing system same as FAT32, its how the data is stored on the disk. I dont really think it has much if anything to do with the security of the drive.

The biggest problem you are gonna have is makeing sure you get all your apps uninstalled then reinstalled after the new OS is on the rest will be good to go
            -Vulcan

Comment

Thanks man, when I was refering to apps. I was talking about still packaged uninstalled apps I have.

Comment

If they arent installed then no issues....just install them on the new OS
                -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
                  Are you sure???? My logic is like this. If someone steals my comp they can't get into the c: drive because it is password protected. They can't just remove another drive and make use of all those files. That would mean the other drives have no protection. If the C drive is protected aren't the other drives too?
                  Need to be using something before the OS boots if you want that sort of protection. Once someone has physical access to your computer, all bets are off. They put a USB drive on it loaded w/ linux and they can read anything they want.
                  Battlefield Admin() ()
                  [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                  [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                  | for | |

Comment

The only problem you might have is if the user accounts content is protected, in which case to avoid any hassle just back up that stuff on a DVD or something. Other than that, you'll be fine, I can access the stuff on my Windows partition no problem from Linux.
                    |TG| Lorian
                    Member since 18th February 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Lorian View Post
                      The only problem you might have is if the user accounts content is protected, in which case to avoid any hassle just back up that stuff on a DVD or something. Other than that, you'll be fine, I can access the stuff on my Windows partition no problem from Linux.
                      Thank you. This was my hunch.
                      I have over 300gb of stuff and I don't have a DVD burner. Is there a way around it with windows. I am not a Linux user. Also, why isn't a usb HD user account protected? Maybe there is a way trick the system into thinking an ide drive is a usb drive? Or maybe there is a way to unprotect stuff? I have messed with knoppix before. The problem was I don't know Linux syntax. Is there a Linux version that has an easy GUI where I can drag and drop?

Comment

As long as your account has admin rights, and your stuff isn't encrypted, then you won't have any problem accessing the data.

USB harddrive's are usually FAT32 formatted, not NTFS, so they don't have any sort of file system protection at all.
                        Battlefield Admin() ()
                        [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                        [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                        | for | |

Comment

Originally posted by perry View Post
                          As long as your account has admin rights, and your stuff isn't encrypted, then you won't have any problem accessing the data.
                          Yes, and even if you lost admin rights (forgot the admin pw?), there are simple tools to fix that up. Go to it, and if you have a problem accessing the data, come back to this thread and we'll sort you out. ;)

BTW, I went to a Windows NT Administration course once, and on the first day we were learning about the permissions system. We were playing around with access rights, and I was fascinated to find that the "local administrator" wasn't a special user, like "root", but rather was just another user with controllable access. I looked at the root of the C drive and thought to myself "how do they keep you from locking yourself out of key areas?" I then tried to remove access to the C drive for ALL users, and I was successful.

I used another system for the rest of the day while the instructor re-installed the image on my machine. :D
                          Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Owned.

Our last instructor in Electronics Technology at the school I'm going (back) to now was a total... <insert bad word>. He had this great idea that me and a friend were the best people with PC's in the room, and we had just started the basic electricity portion of the class (WAY before A+ studying).

Of course, we knew how to restart into safe-mode.

The school ran a program called Browse Control, to keep us kids off the net while we were supposed to be studying. That idiot of a teacher swore up and down we were hacking when my friend and my PC's always showed offline on Browse Control administration and we were sitting around surfing the net.

Restart>F8>Safe-Mode with Networking problem solved.

He would've went to his grave thinking we were hackers if we hadn't've shown him his own stupidity.

-Mom
                            Yer Mom /O>

To all but me is the look given but never received. My heart sinks faster and faster every time I look into them, yet I do not understand their controling power on my soul. - W11114m W45h1n670n

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X