Laptop Recommendations?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop Recommendations?

Ok here is the deal. My sister and her husband are looking to buy a laptop. I am not a fan of laptops and don't really know about prices/brands etc...

So, her price range is roughly 1000-1300 Canadian (900-1150 USD give or take, don't crucify me!). My father baught a dell computer about a year ago and there haven't been any major issues with it. That would probably be my first choice for a laptop but I really don't know. It would probably mostly be used for creating picture dvds, home made movie dvds, online poker etc.... It doesn't have to be some hardcore gaming rig.

With that in mind I ask you, the tg community for your input, thanks.

-Cheers

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Re: Laptop Recommendations?

Dell... Battery... Ouch, umm dell I believe is a good company for starters. If your a PC guru then stay away from dell...

Are they pretty much new computer user's/novice. What will they be doing on the PC?

If there really into computers and know a lot i'd tell you to stay away from the main computer companies, HP; Dell; Compac, since they're all over priced about now. (Unless you go to some deal sites and great some really great deals.)

ibuypower.com and cyberpowerpc.com make okay laptops and some have free shipping. Since there not main stream, you can get top hardware put in the laptop at half the cost of a major brand PC.

(Not just ment for gamers)
    iBuypower.com
    CyberpowerPC.com
    Oyee

Comment

When you consider batteries, Dell would most likely be the safest coice at the moment(they won't do that mistake twice), and remember it was Sony's mistake(and it affected more brands than Dell).

At the budget you are referring to a Dell would be fine. We have purchased a lot of Dells and Acers at work and the Dells(latitude series) has been excellent workhorses. The Acers have had a higher errorrate with us. I would also think you could find a Whitebox supplier(custom made laptops - probably what Viper is referring to) with nice specs on the net in your region. Be sure to check for quality reference before you shop online.
      --
      VI VI VI - the number of the beast

Comment

I would highly recommend Dell or HP for laptops regardless of their level of computer experience. The hardware is high quality and the number of problems they will encounter should be minimal.

IBM/Lenovo laptops are quite nice, and I use a T42p myself, but I would be hesitant to recommend them based on the number of returns I have seen at work in my department alone.

Sony laptops are pretty nice as well.

Black Viper and I have opposite viewpoints. I would recommend staying away from ANY generic laptop manufacturer and stick with well known and self-engineered models such as HP, Dell, Sony, Apple, IBM, etc.

The ONLY thing that will bug you on a new computer from a name brand company is all the added software they throw in there during install. It's easy enough to get rid of though.
        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Dell Deals expire 9/27/06 at 5:59AM Central or after 4000 redemptions unless otherwise noted.

Inspiron Notebooks (Valid only on 6VAFF- ib130s1, 6VAFF- ib130s2, 6VAFF- e1505s1, 6VAFF- e1505s2, 6VAFF- e1705s1, 6VAFF- e1705s2, 6VAFF- e1405s1, 6VAFF- e1405s2, 6VAFF- e1405rfc1, 6VAFF- e1505rfc1, 6VAFF- e1705rfc1, 6VAFF- b130rfc1): DELL INSPIRON NOTEBOOK DEALS

* 20% off $999+ SELECT Inspiron notebook purchases. Use code: TG6D05MDH1HXS9
          * 20% off $1499+ SELECT Inspiron notebook purchases. Use code: WQT7Z96H2??NM2

Original Source Link: http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/deals/

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Similar deals:

http://www.bensbargains.net/search.php/notebook/1
            Dell Business has the Inspiron 6400 Notebook with Intel Dual Core processor 1.73GHz for $749 shipped. Tax is charged. Comes with a free TrueLife LCD upgrade (Select this option).
            • Intel Dual Core 1.73GHz, 15.4" XGA, 1GB DDR2, 120GB Drive, 8x DVD+-RW
            • 10/100 + 56k + 802.11g, 53 WHr 6-cell Battery, XP Home, 1-Yr Warranty

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
              I would highly recommend Dell or HP for laptops regardless of their level of computer experience. The hardware is high quality and the number of problems they will encounter should be minimal.

IBM/Lenovo laptops are quite nice, and I use a T42p myself, but I would be hesitant to recommend them based on the number of returns I have seen at work in my department alone.

Sony laptops are pretty nice as well.

Black Viper and I have opposite viewpoints. I would recommend staying away from ANY generic laptop manufacturer and stick with well known and self-engineered models such as HP, Dell, Sony, Apple, IBM, etc.

The ONLY thing that will bug you on a new computer from a name brand company is all the added software they throw in there during install. It's easy enough to get rid of though.
              I would have to go with the Dell. They have deals on them at least once a month. There's absolutely nothing wrong with them. I myself own the Inspiron E1505 and it's been great. Like Apophis said all the superfluous software they load on there is annoying. Easy way to fix that: reformat. That's what I did right after I turned mine on for the first time.

Comment

I'd tell em to get a MacBook.
                Battlefield Admin() ()
                [volun2][medic][defense3][eng2][support]
                [sg-c1][gchq-c1][tog-c1][ma-c1][taw-c1][tg-c2]
                | for | |

Comment

Originally posted by perry View Post
                  This would be my first choice, personally.

Comment

I'm the owner of a second-hand Dell 600m. Other than a few driver issues (drivers CD is crap) I haven't had any issues with it.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by Polska View Post
                      So, her price range is roughly 1000-1300 Canadian (900-1150 USD give or take,
                      Originally posted by perry View Post

really? for $1k you'd recommend a little 13" macbook over a tricked out 17" dell or the like?

Comment

I have a question about all the preloaded software that comes on the laptops from Dell and its ilk. Is it possible to order the computer with JUST the OS? Or is it possible to get an OEM version of the OS without all the Dell crap on it? My friend just got a Dell and it was loaded with so much silly stuff that the laptop was unstable. Dell programs were conflicting with each other or the OS left and right...

It's been reformatted and runs like a champ now, but I'm not sure about the legality of the OS that's on it. Also, the CD drive died during the OS reinstall, which seemed strange to me... Dell replaced it for free, promptly, so that's a plus.
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                          I have a question about all the preloaded software that comes on the laptops from Dell and its ilk. Is it possible to order the computer with JUST the OS? Or is it possible to get an OEM version of the OS without all the Dell crap on it? My friend just got a Dell and it was loaded with so much silly stuff that the laptop was unstable. Dell programs were conflicting with each other or the OS left and right...

It's been reformatted and runs like a champ now, but I'm not sure about the legality of the OS that's on it. Also, the CD drive died during the OS reinstall, which seemed strange to me... Dell replaced it for free, promptly, so that's a plus.
                          Yes, actually you can! I know this can be done with both Dell and IBM/Lenovo, I'm not sure about HP and Sony.

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post

Thats the problem I had with Dell and HP, I decided it was easyer to wipe the HDD and reinstall WinXP with a store bought version. In the long run the time and effort was payed off.
                            Oyee

Comment

Originally posted by Black_V!per View Post
                              Thats the problem I had with Dell and HP, I decided it was easyer to wipe the HDD and reinstall WinXP with a store bought version. In the long run the time and effort was payed off.
                              Yeah, but you can't beat the price of the OS that comes with a PC from Dell...

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
                              Yes, actually you can! I know this can be done with both Dell and IBM/Lenovo, I'm not sure about HP and Sony.
                              Does it raise the price of the computer? Do you just call them up and say, "Hey, can you install just the OS with none of your advertising crap or 'helpful' Dell applications?"
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X